Let's chat about classical music. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2006, 12:01 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by clifedge

Oh yeah, and I'm going to see Pavarotti on June 21
Fantastic! Opera isn't really my thing, but I'd never miss an opportunity to see Pavarotti. Enjoy it!

And thanks for the recommendation, hippy, I'll be on the lookout for "Mass."

Yes gottage, just like Bono!!!

Old 05-26-2006, 12:37 PM   #17
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

Opera isn't really my thing, but that's okay because I suck.

Yes gottage, just like Bono!!!
You know you want a ride on the Bonomobile.

Opers are hot. We are no longer TWINZ!

Old 05-26-2006, 12:50 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:25 AM
I think Beehtoven is the best composer. Anything by him is magnificent. I love Mozart, Chopin, Bach. I also love Chanticleer's version of Ave Maria.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:05 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

I do too, Justin. If I were stuck on a deserted island with only his sonata Pathetique, I'd be perfectly happy. Every single movement is brilliant. And his ninth symphony...my word, that is probably the only piece of that length that I can listen to again and again.

Quote:
Originally posted by got_edge

You know you want a ride on the Bonomobile.

Opers are hot. We are no longer TWINZ!
I'm going to set you on fire.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:44 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:25 AM
i was at the manitoba chamber orchestra's season finale a couple of weeks ago, and it was fantastic. beautiful setting in a historic church, it was even sold out.

fortunately, i get free tickets to all the symphony and chamber orchestra productions throughout the province. it's good stuff.

gibson, have you ever listened to claude debussy?
Old 05-26-2006, 01:59 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:25 AM
I love Beethoven. Try the third symphony.

Also lots of work by Schubert: his "Unvollendete" (unfinished) Symphony for example.

I like the Russians a lot, Tchaikovsky etc., operas like Onegin come to mind. Mahler is great but some of his works are hard to follow and quite long. I like some pieces of Mozart (most of it piano) but think his operas are boring, I can´t stand that style, and the stories,.. but you should really try Mozarts Requiem.

Also like some old pieces of Bach, more for their construction than their soul, .. generally I think I´m stuck somewhere in romanticism, which also shines through in some of my own improvisations.

Imho the art music of the 20th century is Jazz - even if we got modern music, aleatorics, 12tone systems, which all prove to be a new experience for our ears but never found a mass audience.

In Vienna I´m lucky to have the (arguably) best classical musical performances right in front of my door. You can choose between two Operas, several concert houses and a range of theaters. I really enjoy ballets too.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:05 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Forgot to mention Smetana´s Ma Vlast (Moldova).
Old 05-26-2006, 02:14 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96
i was at the manitoba chamber orchestra's season finale a couple of weeks ago, and it was fantastic. beautiful setting in a historic church, it was even sold out.

fortunately, i get free tickets to all the symphony and chamber orchestra productions throughout the province. it's good stuff.

gibson, have you ever listened to claude debussy?
Sounds wonderful. I've heard great things about the Manitoba chamber orchestra. The fact that you get it for free makes it all the better! If I had free tickets for every production by the Newfoundland Symphony Orchestra, I'd go whenever possible. There are some talented musicians out here. Nothing like you'd see on the mainland, I expect, but still talented.

And yes, I listen to Debussy. I really enjoy his piano preludes. I've got a nice recording by Arturo Michelangeli. I'm not very familiar with Debussy's orchestral works, however.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:37 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars
I love Beethoven. Try the third symphony.

Also lots of work by Schubert: his "Unvollendete" (unfinished) Symphony for example.

I like the Russians a lot, Tchaikovsky etc., operas like Onegin come to mind. Mahler is great but some of his works are hard to follow and quite long. I like some pieces of Mozart (most of it piano) but think his operas are boring, I can´t stand that style, and the stories,.. but you should really try Mozarts Requiem.

Also like some old pieces of Bach, more for their construction than their soul, .. generally I think I´m stuck somewhere in romanticism, which also shines through in some of my own improvisations.

Imho the art music of the 20th century is Jazz - even if we got modern music, aleatorics, 12tone systems, which all prove to be a new experience for our ears but never found a mass audience.

In Vienna I´m lucky to have the (arguably) best classical musical performances right in front of my door. You can choose between two Operas, several concert houses and a range of theaters. I really enjoy ballets too.
I definitely need to listen to more performances of Schubert's music. I've listened to a lot of his piano work, but that's about the extent of it. As for Mahler...I'm so-so. His sixth symphony will always be a favourite, though. Very majestic. Mozart...I've only been able to truly appreciate his sonatas. As you said, his operas are very boring as well as some of his symphonies. Too cheery. His Requiem is wonderful though. Even though listening to it always reminds me of that horrible film.

You know, I really need to listen to more jazz as well. Could you recommend me anything?

Living in Vienna must be wonderful - all that music right in front of you! And world class performances too, not what we have here. The day the NSO gets chosen for a major recording will be a very chilly day in hell. It's not that they're bad, they're quite good actually, just nowhere near the same level.

Now everyone, I must know. What's the verdict on Schoenberg: yea or nay?
Old 05-26-2006, 02:59 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Schoenberg: hell yeah! kudos and shout out!

Jazz... Gibson Girl, there´s sooooo much great Jazz, it´s really difficult to even start recommending.. I believe there are a couple of blues and jazz threads here.

Yes, living in Vienna is nice when it comes to classical music, I´m more into other scenes which are going quite strong here, drum n bass, ragga, electro; but at times I am invited to the opera or concert. The funny thing is the Viennese feel its natural to be surrounded by all that culture, so they often overlook it. Plus, the city´s got a rep for promoting its musicians after their death - before of that, they will always be critisized while dying of hunger or chased away, Vienna just loves to cash off with all the tourists buying Mozart.

Still, at the same time we´re proud of the culture, lol. The Viennese soul is difficult to undesrstand I guess. I, for one, like walzer a lot - it reminds me of Strauss´ times - it can be wonderful music when you´re in the right mood - esp in May - passing giggling girls in white fizzling ballroom dresses with a scent of Jasmine..

Everyone who ever wants to see one of the hearts of European culture is welcome, I can get good tickets (most of the tourist concerts are low quality compared to the state opera which you´d have to reserve months before of the performance) and show you round.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:48 PM   #26
War Child

Local Time: 09:25 AM
Ok - as i play the Church organ a lot of my classical listening is geared towards 'churchy' music

I'm very much in love with the music of Olivier Messiean at the minute. Whilst it is very hard to listen to at times and, to quote someone in a french classical music journal 'far beyound the understanding of laymen. Its musical snobbery' but has a beauty about it.

Also contains much birdsong: Messiean recorded and transcribed the bird song of almost every bird he could find - a project which took up much of his life.

Recommended Work - Livre du Saint Sacrament. it varys between 1hours and 1 hour 40 depending on which recording you get, but any is worth it.

My 'genre' enjoyment of the minute is the late 19/ early 20th century French Music of Vierne, Widor (You know the toccata.. its often played at weddings) Bolleman and such people. Technically complex, but so rewarding to play and listen to.

Amusing story about vierne - He died whilst giving a concert.. whilst preparing to play his last piece of the recital.. he just leaned foward and fell onto the keyboards of the organ, with all stops drawn (was a loud piece)

Recommended Listening - Louis Vierne Symphony No1 Finale and Louis Vierne - Carillon De Westminster (if anyone wants i can upload a recording of me playing this on a fine 3 manual organ)

Church Music (Choirs)

The English lead the way here very much with composers like Stanford Wood, Stainer, S.S. Wesley, Bairstow and Balfour Gardiner many of whom have little reputation outside of church music circles and in the case of Balfour Gardiner only wrote one published piece but it is a classic. Mention to any choir master at any cathedral and he will tell oyu he wrote 'Evening Hymn'

Jazz

As whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said, it really depends on the sort of thing you want. I started off with the big names of Jazz.. and then research into stuff that sounds like the one you most like. If you're prepared to experinment get some stuff like:
Miles Davies - A Diffrent Kind of Blue

John Coltrane - Love Supreme... or Coltranes Sound

Duke Ellington - Any. Seriously. Any.

(And now the line in angel of harlem 'With a john coltrane and a love supreme, miles says she's got to be an angel of harlem' all makes sense doesn't it?)

Happy listening DB
Old 05-26-2006, 06:06 PM   #27
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:25 AM
I like anything from the Baroque era, which starts from 1600-1750. That would include Bach, Handel,Purcell, & Vivaldi.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:20 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:25 AM
I love Stravinsky's "Firebird". I went to hear the local symphony do it a couple of years ago. I also love Gershwin, especially "Rhapsody in Blue", also Bernstein's "West Side Story". I'm also into early music, that is to say, medieval and Renaissance. I do Renaissance dance, and I love alot of the music we dance to. Those troubadours could write good songs, too.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:00 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:25 AM
i heart Chopin.
his music is always so heartful, so evoking/emotional.
to be able to create music which people think is beautiful is one thing, but to be able to create beautiful music which also moves people, that's an amazing thing.

clifedge, you're going to see Pavarotti? AWESOME! i didn't know he was still playing! his "farewell tour" came around to hollywood bowl last summer, but i coudln't get tickets. is he still on the farewell tour or did he decide not to retire? ;]
Old 05-26-2006, 10:17 PM   #30
War Child

Local Time: 03:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by tuwie

clifedge, you're going to see Pavarotti? AWESOME! i didn't know he was still playing! his "farewell tour" came around to hollywood bowl last summer, but i coudln't get tickets. is he still on the farewell tour or did he decide not to retire? ;]
It's still his farewell tour, and for now, it looks like his last US date. I couldn't believe it was in my area (DC). I thought for sure he would perform in New York or something. So I'm really excited, and I'm taking my mom for her birthday.

Tickets are still available if anyone finds themselves in the DC area around that date.