Let It Be or Hey Jude?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hey jude.

i don't know why, and i'm a little preoccupied by the fact that it looks like there's snow on the ground to try and figure it out.

Hey Jude. Let It Be is great, but a bit overblown if you know what I mean...

phanan said:
Definitely Hey Jude. The long fade out alone is better than Let It Be.

na na na na nananana nananana, hey jude.

yeah, you're right :up:

'Let It Be'. It was one of the first Beatles songs I ever heard, plus I'm one of the few people who find all the 'nanana's in 'Hey Jude' a bit repetitive. Plus I like the guitar break in 'Let It Be'.

Neither. They've been so overplayed by classic rock stations over the past several decades I'm genuinely bored with them. If I wanted to listen to Beatles with the big, epic sound, I'd rather tune into Golden Slumbers/Carry that Weight/The End or I Want You (She's So Heavy).

Is this a trick question? Both. Have to agree with yertle, don't care for all the nanana's in Hey Jude. Let it Be is timeless and speaks to everybody.

Canadiens1160 said:
Which song do you think is superior, and why?

Oh, no you didn't.

You didn't just ask me to choose between a couple of duds, did you? Objectively speaking, of course.

I guess "Let It Be" is slightly less horrific.

"Hey Jude" has got to be on the short list for most overrated songs of all time. It's vision and imagery is nothing short of trite. The song is the musical equivalent of a giant goopy tear. Nothing like forgetting you have an imagination to push those buttons.

As for the beloved 'na, na, na's', at the end. Think about this objectively and study the artistic effect of that orchestration. Don't you think it should be about finding the right note at the right time with the right feel that brings out the right intent? That sounds like a good definition of musical art, to me.

Since, I put it in those terms it now seems like they put a little too much syrup on the pancakes, if you know what I mean with those 'na, na, na's'.

Remember, it's all in the recipe when it comes to songwriting and that's an objecitve reality. Unfortunately, "Hey Jude" could've been cooked up by Sam the Butcher. It has all of the finesse and fine tuning of ingredients of a butcher's work.

Re: Re: Let It Be or Hey Jude?

Layton said:

Oh, no you didn't.

You didn't just ask me to choose between a couple of duds, did you? Objectively speaking, of course.

I guess "Let It Be" is slightly less horrific.

"Hey Jude" has got to be on the short list for most overrated songs of all time. It's vision and imagery is nothing short of trite. The song is the musical equivalent of a giant goopy tear. Nothing like forgetting you have an imagination to push those buttons.

As for the beloved 'na, na, na's', at the end. Think about this objectively and study the artistic effect of that orchestration. Don't you think it should be about finding the right note at the right time with the right feel that brings out the right intent? That sounds like a good definition of musical art, to me.

Since, I put it in those terms it now seems like they put a little too much syrup on the pancakes, if you know what I mean with those 'na, na, na's'.

Remember, it's all in the recipe when it comes to songwriting and that's an objecitve reality. Unfortunately, "Hey Jude" could've been cooked up by Sam the Butcher. It has all of the finesse and fine tuning of ingredients of a butcher's work.

I'm sending this post to www.whenmetaphorsattack.com

hmmmmm, to be completely honest I don't care for either of those two songs like I also don't care for Come Together, Back in the USSR & The Long & Winding Road. And, mind you, I do like the Beatles...but those are the few songs out of their large lot that for some reason never stirred much in me except annoyance.

The freak-out at the end of Hey Jude brings it slightly above elevator music. Both songs have been massively overplayed.

Both, if I had to pick Hey Jude.
It's one of the first Beatle songs I remember liking, and possibly my favourite song of theirs that has piano in it.

Last edited:
angelordevil said:
Both songs have been massively overplayed.

the advantage to avoiding the radio is that you never hear either of them.

Back
Top Bottom