Let It Be: Naked --- Better, Worse, or Meh? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2007, 12:14 AM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:58 PM
I just realized I forgot to include Dig A Pony in that tracklisting I posted above. Idiot! After listening to my tenative playlist, I've decided to move it in between Dig It and Let it Be as mentioned earlier. I think it works better this way. Does the Naked version of Get Back have all the talking at the beginning? If not there's the option to use this instead.

I also decided against including You Know My Name. First of all, the music was laid down back in 1967 and the vocals during the Abbey Road sessions so I don't really feel it belongs with the Let It Be material. It doesn't really fit anywhere either.

I don't even have For You Blue on my laptop because I find it pretty annoying, so I wasn't able to see how that fit. I can conjure it up mentally though and I still think it works between John & Yoko and Get Back.

So here's the final order I'm using:

1. Two of Us
2. One After 909
3. I Me Mine
4. Dig It
5. Dig a Pony
6. Let It Be
7. Don't Let Me Down
8. I've Got a Feeling
9. Maggie Mae
10. The Ballad of John & Yoko
11. For You Blue
12. Get Back (Naked?)
13. Across the Universe
14. The Long & Winding Road (Naked)

Enjoy, and please share your comments if you give it a try.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:25 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:58 PM
Wow. So Lovely Rita is painful to listen to and For No One is downright boring. You learn something new every day.

How Lovely Rita is an 'old timey grandma song' is beyond me.

And for the record, I, too, am a Lennon man. But you are being way too harsh on Paul.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:39 AM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

I didn't say Lovely Rita was one of the old-timey grandma songs.

Those are:

Honey Pie
Your Mother Should Know
When I'm Sixty-Four (the original and only good one)
Maxwell's Silver Hammer
Martha My Dear (save for the fast middle part, which I actually like)

Keep in mind this is all coming from someone who thinks Why Don't We Do It In The Road? is one of the Top 10 things Paul's put to tape.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:07 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:58 PM
Meh.
It's good Don't let me down on made the cut, and skipping Maggie May and Dig it on the tracklisting, but I went with the original version.

There were other issues too, but maybe involving Phill Spector and trying to prevent Paul from issuing "McCartney" ahead of the Beatles album was the last nail in the coffin for the band, . Paul, despite "officially" leaving first - other three all quit on a short term basis before, and John actually released a solo album in 1969 - actually tried the hardest to keep the band going.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:35 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto

They stripped Across the Universe. It's basically the same as the Past Master without the kid choir and it has an obnoxious "Within You, Without You"-esque whooshing sound and more lo-fi mix. Anything is an improvement over the overdone album version though.
I don't think it's obnoxious at all, it works very well. In fact, I'd say that the Naked version of Across The Universe is probably my favorite now.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:57 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Utoo

The White Album sessions were mid-1968. Let It Be (the "Get Back" sessions) was late-1968 (not sure if it coincided with the White Album work) and ended January 31st, 1969, the day after the rooftop performance. Abbey Road was summer 1969, with the completion of "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" on 20 August 1969 being the last time that all four Beatles were together in the same studio.

Abbey Road's side two medley, consists of White Album and Let it Be Lennon/McCartney leftovers.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:47 AM   #22
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon
Never heard it. I'm probably better off.
This is how I felt pretty much when it came out. Debated buying it everytime I walked into a strore, but just couldn't shell out the cash for what I believed was going to be a much weaker version of an album I already own.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:52 AM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus

Honey Pie
Your Mother Should Know
When I'm Sixty-Four (the original and only good one)
Maxwell's Silver Hammer
Martha My Dear (save for the fast middle part, which I actually like)
You forgot Rocky Raccoon. I think it qualifies, at least parts of it.

Honey Pie is one of my very least favorite Beatles songs.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:25 AM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by inmyplace13

You forgot Rocky Raccoon. I think it qualifies, at least parts of it.

Honey Pie is one of my very least favorite Beatles songs.
But Rocky Raccoon is probably my favorite Paul song!

I think of it as more of as frontier/saloon old-timey than grandma old-timey, if that makes any sense.

Plus the lyrics are better than any of those other song.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:29 AM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl
Paul, despite "officially" leaving first - other three all quit on a short term basis before, and John actually released a solo album in 1969 - actually tried the hardest to keep the band going.

He was also the one who did the most to break them up. Sure, John brought Phil Spector in, whose production work caused Paul to finally leave, but have you ever watched the film Let It Be? It didn't look like George found him very easy to work with. Do you find it surprising that Harrison played on Lennon's McCartney-bashing How Do You Sleep? And when Ringo walked out on the band during the White Album sessions--guess who was the cause of that one too?
Old 10-23-2007, 02:14 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

How do you figure that ? It was his idea to do Sgt Pepper, the "concert footage" movie that became Let it be and he talked to George Martin to do Abbey Road. He was also the one in favour of touring the most after 1966.

Do tell, why did Ringo walk out ?

I only watched Let it be once, I know he - George - and Paul (and obviously he and John too) argued. I just think it wasn't "Paul against everyone else" (or the much hyped "Yoko broke up the Beatles" theory) as much as the band falling apart anyway - and it didn't start with that album. Band members recording solo for White album, financial fights, ego clashes, George probably feeling ripped off for not being recognized as a writer, John being tired of the band...I don't think you can single out any single incident or any particular person.
(If I had to pick, I'd lean in John's direction)
Old 10-23-2007, 02:25 PM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

Paul initiating pet projects doesn't really equal keeping the band going. It's not like they weren't writing and planning on recording anyway, he just had conceptual ideas. Also, I don't know that mentioning his idea for Let it Be makes a good case, because the tension during those sessions (between whoever) probably fractured the band and led to a much quicker breakup, even if you think it was inevitable anyway. I've seen it several times, and as objective as I can be about this, I really think Paul comes off like a jackass on much of it. Getting George Martin back was just cleaning up his own mess.

John may have seemed uninterested in the band but despite his difficult personality he was just more passive in terms of their direction, and didn't feel all the conceptual stuff was necessary--Magical Mystery Tour was Paul's idea too, funny that you didn't mention it as it wasn't received very well. Ultimately Paul's decision to make Let It Be, against faint protestations from the others, did much more damage than John's Phil Spector move, which was more of a final straw for Paul.

Ringo left after Paul kept badgering him over the drum part on Back in the U.S.S.R. The drums on the White Album version are actually played by Paul.

You also pointed to Paul's desire to play live, but he was the only one who wanted to tour.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:40 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Magical Mystery Tour is an EP, not an album. Yes, I know it was his idea.

But do you see what I mean ? You can't blame him exclusively if some of those ideas worked better than others, or rather, if others *mostly John* weren't as keen on going on with the band. Is it a surprise John contributes little to Sgt Pepper or Let it be, compared to Abbey Road or White Album ? You can't keep up a band if at least one party, especially one of the two leading songwriters, isn't interested. Same goes for touring.

My impression is they offered the album, with which none of them were obviously entirely happy, to be produced to different people (wikipedia mentions 3 "Let it be" albums in the process) and that finally John and Paul basically handed over the tapes to Spector, it's just that Paul didn't agree on the production choices he made, because they wanted a more stripped down sound. My understanding was the other three all contributed drums for Back in the USSR.

Maybe it sped up things (even with them recording separately for White Album and George Martin qutting the production on that album in frustration?), but I'm not sure not doing it would somehow magically saved the band, considering how much was going on.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:49 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

On a side note, in an article on Beatle albums being available digitally, the movie gets mentioned too:

"But the film “Let It Be” remains in DVD purgatory, Aspinall says. The reason? “The film was so controversial when it first came out. When we got halfway through restoring it, we looked at the outtakes and realized: this stuff is still controversial. It raised a lot of old issues.”

After all the years, with two members dead ?
Old 10-23-2007, 03:07 PM   #30
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

I don't think it's obnoxious at all, it works very well. In fact, I'd say that the Naked version of Across The Universe is probably my favorite now.
That's cool, it's a definite upgrade from the album version, but that bit holds it back from being as good as the Past Masters one.