Let It Be... Naked - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2003, 10:56 PM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 08:49 AM
Sounds great!I did a double-take when I read the name. Just thought I'd share that with everyone...

Old 11-17-2003, 11:25 AM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 09:49 AM
why the hell is micheal jackson releasing a "number 1's" CD now?

Old 11-17-2003, 04:01 PM   #18
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:49 AM
First of all, I can't honestly believe that they actually released it under that moronic name (let what be naked?). Get Back would've been much better. But anyway, some assorted thoughts:

The new "Across the Universe" is beautiful. It's a different version from the two that have been released already. It doesn't have the overdone strings and choirs of the Let It Be version. It doesn't have the completely out-of-place birds or the silly falsetto background vocals on the refrain that the original WWF version has. It doesn't have the ultracompressed vocal of both versions. And it has some more spitshine than the Anthology demo. We finally have a definitive version of this song. I love it.

"The Long and Winding Road" sounds very good without the overdone orchestration (given that you like the song at all, of course). It sounds similar to the demo that was on the third Anthology volume, only much more complete and polished. I don't know how many takes they had of this; my understanding is that Spector had to cover it up in production because all the takes he had of it were so bad, but this one sounds perfect. I don't know if any parts were re-recorded; where did the alternative instrumental breakdown come from, by the way?

The tempo of "I Me Mine" is noticably slower. The strings and choirs are likewise gone, placing the emphasis on the guitars (which are pretty interesting, now that I can hear them). It repeats Spector's trick of doubling the track length by repeating the first part.

"Don't Let Me Down" is a different take from the version on the flipside of "Get Back." The refrain is sung more than screamed now, and the harmonizing during it is higher in the mix. It's not an incredibly different take, but it's nice to have. I don't know why this wasn't on the album to begin with. "Old Brown Shoe" should've made it on both too (with Harrison's vocals mixed higher).

The rest of the songs are subtly different in their mix. No real revisionism going on here. They all sound like the same takes as the album versions. "For You, Blue" sounds nearly the same, except with much better clarity (a cleaner and more prominent lead vocal, more audible strumming from the acoustic rhythm guitar). Stuff like the talking before and after tracks such as "Get Back" and "Dig A Pony" are gone, which brings the songs back into the Beatles canon instead of feeling like a collection of unfinished demos. The solo in "Let It Be" is different from both the album and single versions of the song. A lot of the improvement simply has to do with the fact that it's been remastered (the version I'm comparing it to was the 1987 CD remaster).

Songs such as "I've Got A Feeling" and "One After 909" sound pretty much the same, except for a "new" background vocal or two here and there. I'd be surprised if most people notice a difference at all.

There's a second disc which consists of one track, "Fly On the Wall," a sort of aural collage of the sessions. Anyone who's bitter about the speaking bits of the album getting ditched ought to love this, though. "Maggie Mae" and "Dig It" are even on it. Plus, you get to hear a snippet of an early version of Lennon's "Jealous Guy" ("Child of Nature") and Harrison's "All Things Must Pass." And for some reason, the take of "Don't Let Me Down" near the beginning reminds me somewhat of "Sun King." Nothing new to folks who have the Anthology releases or many Beatles bootlegs, but still neat.

The new sequencing didn't strike me as too odd (but I was switching to the previously released versions of the tracks a lot to compare them), except that "The Long and Winding Road" seems to arrive too early and I miss "Two of Us" as an opener and "Get Back as a closer; but overall, the album has good flow. The absence of "Dig It" and "Maggie Mae" helps. The album has always been the ugly duckling of the Beatles catalogue—the band found it so frustrating to make listenable that they ditched it and recorded Abbey Road, after all—but I think we finally have a version of it that we can stack proudly alongside Sgt Pepper's and the White Album (but then, I always loved this album). That is to say that, if I feel like listening to Let It Be, I think I'll be more compelled to get this version than the original.

Much better than another damn compilation, in any case.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:57 PM   #19
Refugee

Phil has his groundhog day , paul attacks again , phil's busted again
Old 11-18-2003, 02:08 AM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by typhoon
First of all, I can't honestly believe that they actually released it under that moronic name (let what be naked?). Get Back would've been much better. But anyway, some assorted thoughts:

The new "Across the Universe" is beautiful. It's a different version from the two that have been released already. It doesn't have the overdone strings and choirs of the Let It Be version. It doesn't have the completely out-of-place birds or the silly falsetto background vocals on the refrain that the original WWF version has. It doesn't have the ultracompressed vocal of both versions. And it has some more spitshine than the Anthology demo. We finally have a definitive version of this song. I love it.

"The Long and Winding Road" sounds very good without the overdone orchestration (given that you like the song at all, of course). It sounds similar to the demo that was on the third Anthology volume, only much more complete and polished. I don't know how many takes they had of this; my understanding is that Spector had to cover it up in production because all the takes he had of it were so bad, but this one sounds perfect. I don't know if any parts were re-recorded; where did the alternative instrumental breakdown come from, by the way?

The tempo of "I Me Mine" is noticably slower. The strings and choirs are likewise gone, placing the emphasis on the guitars (which are pretty interesting, now that I can hear them). It repeats Spector's trick of doubling the track length by repeating the first part.

"Don't Let Me Down" is a different take from the version on the flipside of "Get Back." The refrain is sung more than screamed now, and the harmonizing during it is higher in the mix. It's not an incredibly different take, but it's nice to have. I don't know why this wasn't on the album to begin with. "Old Brown Shoe" should've made it on both too (with Harrison's vocals mixed higher).

The rest of the songs are subtly different in their mix. No real revisionism going on here. They all sound like the same takes as the album versions. "For You, Blue" sounds nearly the same, except with much better clarity (a cleaner and more prominent lead vocal, more audible strumming from the acoustic rhythm guitar). Stuff like the talking before and after tracks such as "Get Back" and "Dig A Pony" are gone, which brings the songs back into the Beatles canon instead of feeling like a collection of unfinished demos. The solo in "Let It Be" is different from both the album and single versions of the song. A lot of the improvement simply has to do with the fact that it's been remastered (the version I'm comparing it to was the 1987 CD remaster).

Songs such as "I've Got A Feeling" and "One After 909" sound pretty much the same, except for a "new" background vocal or two here and there. I'd be surprised if most people notice a difference at all.

There's a second disc which consists of one track, "Fly On the Wall," a sort of aural collage of the sessions. Anyone who's bitter about the speaking bits of the album getting ditched ought to love this, though. "Maggie Mae" and "Dig It" are even on it. Plus, you get to hear a snippet of an early version of Lennon's "Jealous Guy" ("Child of Nature") and Harrison's "All Things Must Pass." And for some reason, the take of "Don't Let Me Down" near the beginning reminds me somewhat of "Sun King." Nothing new to folks who have the Anthology releases or many Beatles bootlegs, but still neat.

The new sequencing didn't strike me as too odd (but I was switching to the previously released versions of the tracks a lot to compare them), except that "The Long and Winding Road" seems to arrive too early and I miss "Two of Us" as an opener and "Get Back as a closer; but overall, the album has good flow. The absence of "Dig It" and "Maggie Mae" helps. The album has always been the ugly duckling of the Beatles catalogue—the band found it so frustrating to make listenable that they ditched it and recorded Abbey Road, after all—but I think we finally have a version of it that we can stack proudly alongside Sgt Pepper's and the White Album (but then, I always loved this album). That is to say that, if I feel like listening to Let It Be, I think I'll be more compelled to get this version than the original.

Much better than another damn compilation, in any case.

sounds like it's worth asking my grandma to get it for me for christmas. especailly cos i just realized i doin't even have a fully functioning copy of the regular let it be album it was on vinyl and it died.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:17 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:49 PM
worst. title. evah.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:21 AM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

yes, yertle.