Leona Helmsley's Dog Gets $12 Million in Will - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2007, 02:24 PM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:20 PM
We're not talking about some distant second cousins who are pissy because they didn't recieve anything in the will, we're talking about the woman's children and grandchildren. Isn't one of the universal themes of life where parents are concerned that they work to make their children and grandchildrens' lives better? So if a grandparent or ESPECIALLY a parent dies, why would they want to leave the money to anyone/anything but their children and grandchildren(and possibly siblings)? If you leave money to two of your children, but not to the other two(even if they are stepchildren), something stinks.

On a side not, I don't like the idea that you have somehow failed at life if you are living off of money that you inherited rather than money that you earned. Inheriting a big amount of money in and of itself does not make young people into spoiled brats a la Paris. It is a fundemental lack of parenting that does that. If you were brought up right, a big inheritence isn't going to make you into a spoiled/ungreatful type.

Old 09-01-2007, 10:24 PM   #47
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MsPurrl
Is it true, as David Letterman said last night, that the dog will use the money to arrange fights between NFL players???

Old 09-03-2007, 12:35 AM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
We're not talking about some distant second cousins who are pissy because they didn't recieve anything in the will, we're talking about the woman's children and grandchildren. Isn't one of the universal themes of life where parents are concerned that they work to make their children and grandchildrens' lives better? So if a grandparent or ESPECIALLY a parent dies, why would they want to leave the money to anyone/anything but their children and grandchildren(and possibly siblings)? If you leave money to two of your children, but not to the other two(even if they are stepchildren), something stinks.
Dame Anita Roddick, the founder of the Body Shop, stated years ago in her biography that she intended to not leave a cent to her 2 daughters. She and her husband would use the money to fund charitable organisations etc. Her reasoning was that she had made her fortune from nothing, she had started her own business from scratch and therefore having her daughters inherit her money would deprive them of the sense of achievement of making their own way in the world.

Would that be considered right or wrong?

In this case, Leona Helmsley sounded like a right piece of work. She was a cow in life, why are people surprised she's still acting like one in death? And who's to say her offspring aren't all horrible people not deserving of our sympathy either?
Old 09-03-2007, 07:40 AM   #49
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 04:20 AM
I agree with antitram - its up to her to decide what she wants to do with her money. You shouldn't EXPECT something, but rather be pleased if you get something from your grandparents/parents, or pleased if it goes somewhere else.

Parents leaving money for their children and grandchildren started when people were dying at 40 and 50 when there children still were young and needed money to help buy a house, or whatnot. Now adays people are living till their kids are in their 50's or more - what do they need the money? Why are the expecting to be helped out and a big cash cow coming their way?

When my grandparents died, yep we all got a hell of a lot of money each - it was our choice to do with it what we wanted. At least 4 of my cousins pissed, gambled and materialistically blew it within a year - wow...how thoughtful and wonderful of my grandparents and what thoughtful gestures my cousins gave them when they passed.

If you inherit money - where is your drive in life? Who are you if you don't have to do a damn thing to stay alive? When you don't apreciate ANYTHING.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:56 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Why should family members feel like they are entitled to their relative's money??
I never said those grandchildren were 'entitled to' Leona's fortune. I just said that (because they were part of her family) they 'should have' received at least something of an amount.

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
I think there is something distasteful and disgusting in people expecting a pay out after a relative dies just because they were related.
Being part of family is 'common knowledge' that most don't always expect money left to them ... they just know their family WILL leave money to them, if they have it to leave ... because it's a form of further 'providing' for the family members once they are gone.