Lennon/McCartney vis-a-vis U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lennon/McCartney vis-a-vis U2

• 1990's U2 is my favourite U2 period, and I prefer Lennon to McCartney as a songwriter

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • 1990's U2 is not my favourite U2 period, and I prefer Lennon to McCartney as a songwriter

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • 1990's U2 is my favourite U2 period, and I prefer McCartney to Lennon as a songwriter

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • 1990's U2 is not my favourite U2 period, and I prefer McCartney to Lennon as a songwriter

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I have no particular favourite U2 period, and I prefer Lennon to McCartney as a songwriter

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • I have no particular favourite U2 period, and I prefer McCartney to Lennon as a songwriter

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
The Lennon vs McCartney thread gave me the idea for this. A lot of people are saying that Lennon was the more experimental musician and McCartney perhaps more of a traditional songwriter. It might be interesting to see if people who prefer the experimental 1990's U2 also prefer Lennon.

Please don't bother answering the poll if you have very little knowledge of the Beatles' music. By no means do you have to have all the albums mind, but a REASONABLE knowledge of their music is probably a prerequisitive.

This poll requires you to express a preference for either Lennon or McCartney as a songwriter. If you honestly and truly can't decide, just toss a coin or something, and seek counselling for your indecision issues, as they may set you back in life (just kidding folks!) The thread started by Namkcur details some of most popular songs written by each and
can be referred to for guidance: -

http://forum.interference.com/t144497.html

It is generally assumed that 1990's U2 was the more experimental period for U2, at least in the musical sense (The Unforgettable Fire album being an exception). This of course does not necessarily mean it was the best period. I don't want debates about whether or not you agree or disagree with that assumption, save 'em for another thread guys.

If you hate the Beatles and hate U2 and prefer experimental prog rock by Oxford bands, you are Zoomerang96. This poll is not for you. (Just kidding :wink: )

Last edited:
financeguy said:
It might be interesting to see if people who prefer the experimental 1990's U2 also prefer Lennon.

Cool idea! :up:

It's option #1 for me and not just because of the 'experimental' link! I love Lennon's low nasal voice too! eg.: Happiness Is A Warm Gun.

Re: Re: Lennon/McCartney vis-a-vis U2

Zootlesque said:

Cool idea! :up:

It's option #1 for me and not just because of the 'experimental' link! I love Lennon's low nasal voice too! eg.: Happiness Is A Warm Gun.

:drool:

option #1 for me too

I am indecisive and will seek counseling shortly :wink:

I chose option 5 - I can't pick a period very well because there is so much music from all eras of U2 that I take pleasure in. And I apparently prefer Lennon, as stated here there and everywhere :giggle:

numero 1

Paul is awesome but did he write Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds?

no, he did not

"1990's U2 is my favourite U2 period, and I prefer McCartney to Lennon as a songwriter"

This means I'm better than you.:wink:

wha...........it's too late for me to try and work out the differences between those options, I'll try again tomorrow

#1 for me
I think Paul did some great work after the beatles with the Wings.
Live and let die, Band on the run, Jet, Mull of kintyre etc.

But Lennon did better during the beatles with more experimental stuff than Paul. A day in the life maybe is the best example.

Back
Top Bottom