Led Zeppelin, Large And Live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmmm, I believe I will buy the cd's and go to the concert.... (good thing my tax return arrived).

Then I have Warped Tour coming up later this month to go to also, not to mention a few must buy cd's coming out in the next couple weeks.... excellent.

I picked up the Cd's yesterday...I am currently listening to the third disc while I write this.

All I have to say is.....Flawless! Perfect! Zeppelin! :bow:

Now I really need to pick up the dvd....hours of Zeppelin goodness on there....rolling stone gave is 4/4....it could have probably had 1000/4 :wink:

Anyway, thanks Cujo for the review.

Plectrum!!!

25 min of Dazed and Confused is always welcome.

If you guys enjoyed the 3CD package, the DVD is so much more... even if you're not a hardcore fan, I think you'll find the 2DVDs thoroughly enjoyable. The CD companion set pretty much explains itself... :up: :up:

Moby Dick... almost half an hour. Wicked. Simply wicked.

AOL broadband members can watch this show at KW: Broadband Rocks this week.

if anyone here is interested i have Mp3's of a entire zep show (7-7-1980). i can share it on soulseek or upload to an FTP.

let me know

u2popmofo said:
I went to Circuit City here and didnt see any sign noting that kind of deal.

They had sold out of the DVD's.

I cant decide to buy the cd now or not. I may see Foo Fighters this week instead. I have to wait things out and see what happens.

There was no sign inside, but it was in the Sunday paper ad. They also had extra ad papers inside the door as you go in. I didn't see anything either and got scared. I had to ask the lady for mine, and she had to go in the back to find me a DVD. I guess having a big mouth helped. I'm sorry you didn't get them, but I swear that's what I paid. I could get my ticket scanned if nobody believes me.

But it is excellent!

There's a very interesting article in the current issue of Guitar World... documenting the "hedonistic" touring tendencies of Led Zeppelin. It's an interview with Jimmy Page... a comprehensive one at that. Pull-out poster :yes:

Jimmy talks about his Guitars, of which there were few:

Mostly the '58 and '59 Gibson Les Paul Standards (the '59 was re-issued as "The Jimmy Page" guitar) :drool:

Page also goes into the drugs and mysticism that influenced his rowdy and creative days. He also leaves open the prospects for a tour... and NEW MATERIAL. They want to take stock after their DVD and CD sets have been out for a bit (what is it, quadruple platinum now?)

Nice :up:

I highly suggest you pick up this mag, or check the website.

U2Kitten, I believe you! Dont worry. I wonder if they'll keep that deal going for a while, or if it was only for this last week.

Cujo, I have that issue of Guitar World also. I was going to post something about it, but I totally forgot. Fancy stuff.

pub crawler said:
I've been in a bit of a Zeppelin phase lately.

Thumbs up or thumbs down? huh? huh?

Enthusiastically :up: :up: :up:

If you have any doubts, just read through what a lot of people have said in this thread.

A Zeppophile phase would definitely be suited for a visit with this new set of material... if you want full blown Leditis. :wink: I apologize for my descriptiveness.

However, if you don't want to spend the cash for both... I'd suggest the DVD. All the extras, and live footage make it worth the buy. Plus, there is not a lot of performance video of these guys as a fourpiece out there. Aside from the Song Remains The Same... this is as close as you'll get to the Led Zeppelin experience.

Any questions?

:sexywink:

Last edited:
My husband bought the DVD set yesterday when I picked up HTTT. I gotta say, I've been converted.

:bow: Jimmy Page :bow:

And with my very own Danelectro in the mail on its way to me, how can I not become a Led Zeppelin fan?

I can't wait to watch some more of it. Plus check out the new sig. When he said that, I thought, "New Sig!" :reject:

Nice.

and yes, Jimmy Page bowing is a prerequisite for this thread.

Another one converted to dancing the Misty Mountain Hop.

Exceptional :up:

I had the DVD in my hands tonight, but I put it down and bought a Wilco CD instead. I will get that DVD, but I'm wondering if I can pay less than $22.95 for it.

lol at the :bow: Jimmy Page :bow:, HeartlandGirl. ;)

I must say that this is the finest music DVD that I own. Led Zeppelin was an amazing band. Jimmy Page is a guitar virtuoso. It is nice to finally have concert footage that does justice to the passion and grace displayed by these four musicians. It's just too bad that Zeppelin died with Bonzo. Now all we have are the memories.

pub crawler said:
lol at the :bow: Jimmy Page :bow:, HeartlandGirl. ;)

Let's just say I never appreciated Led Zeppelin until I learned to play guitar. There are a million miles between "I can play a little" and what Jimmy Page can do. Even most people who can play really well don't compare.

So yes, I am a convert. And yes, I bow down to Jimmy. I hope you all will welcome me to the congregation. :wink:

HeartlandGirl said:
Let's just say I never appreciated Led Zeppelin until I learned to play guitar. There are a million miles between "I can play a little" and what Jimmy Page can do. Even most people who can play really well don't compare.

Excellent point. That's how I got hardcore into Zeppelin... most of the time you can't truly appreciate music until you try to play it. A lot of non-fans say that the sound is too cluttered with guitar solos... but when you start listening for the little tricks Page does, it's just amazing.

Welcome to the cult Heartland Girl. We shall dub you a new name... Zsa Zsa.

:sexywink:

HeartlandGirl said:

I'm really going to have to fall inline and agree with you and Cujo completely on this. Jimmy Page blows me away by how he can let loose with some of the greatest blues/rock solos and riffs, and then play the most amazing acoustic song you've ever heard. Simply amazing. It's funny, but I never bought any of their cd's until I started to play guitar, so I totally understand where you're coming from.

I've come to the conclusion that Kashmir is one of Zeppelin's best live songs. The main riff is simple, but awesome. If you get a chance to see the performance on DVD, they really recreate the studio quality of the song flawlessly... and even expand upon it.

The echoing drums and rhythm by Jones is well worth however long the song may go.

:up: Kashmir :up:

u2popmofo said:
How sad is it that so few people here like Led Zeppelin?

They are hands down one of the absolute greatest rock bands of all time. They seriously have so many fantastic songs. Fantastic songs up the ying yang you could say.

Seriously people, if you've never looked into them too mcuh, you NEED to. GREAT stuff.

I do! I'm getting this DVD! This band was almost called the New Yardbirds! They were called Led Zeppelin after Keith Moon claimed they'd go over like a lead balloon. They changed the word balloon to "Zeppelin" and the rest is history. I love these guys.

I've only listened to Disc 1 of the new album so far but it is beyond phenomenal. I've seen Page and Plant, and they were amazing, but listening to this music makes me sad that Bonham died just after I was born. Without him, no Led Zeppelin, period.

I'd liked them for a long time, and I became a major fan just after high school. They are in my top five bands, and the only music that gets into my top five is music I consider beautiful, because that's my top criteria. Led Zeppelin's music is also fun, raucous, scary, insane, and a host of other things, but they created such beautiful sounds. Both when they were being light, and when they were being heavy--what other band has ever had such a perfect name? It's the most visceral music ever created. I'm not certain I would call them my favourite band, but I tend to think that they were the greatest band of all time, and that we will not see their like again.

Last edited:
one person who deserves some recognition here is john paul jones.
apart from being an amazing bassist, (listen to "the lemon song", "ramble on", and "what is and what should never be" from led zeppelin II), an amazing keyboardist, ("your time is gonna come", "no quarter", "fool in the rain"), he was also an accomplished arranger and studio musician way before zeppelin. if you look at his discography you will be amazed.
he was also an incredible arranger who was responsible for many key zeppelin moments, such as:
the strings in kashmir
the main theme on recorder for stairway to heaven
the riff for black dog
and many many others.
hats off to jonesy:up:

JOFO said:

hats off to jonesy:up:

:bow: Jonesy :bow:

Bass players always tend to get overlooked--the other members of a band are flashier, as a rule (unless the bassist is also the lead singer.) Jones just had the misfortune (?) to be the most low-key genius in a band of four geniuses.

Back
Top Bottom