LED ZEP/Classic Rock Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2DeathBear

The Fly
Besides my obvious passion for U2...there are the gods known as Led Zeppelin. I've been a fan for several years, and I wish that i could've seen them live. The way Page rips through his guitar and the quietness of it in some songs like rain song have inspired me to play the guitar. (The first song I could play was Tangerine).
Robert Plant's vocals are so steamy, raunchy and unforgivable...that i feel dirty sometimes...and i love it!

Favorite album:all of them, especially the BBC sessions
favorite song: I can't Quit You Baby, Over the HIlls and Far Away, Kashmir...there are too many

oh yeah...i love pink floyd too!!!

Zep are ace! They are always getting listen to by myself.
Favs at the Moment:

Hey Hey, What Can I Do.
Rample On
That's The Way
Over The Hills And Far Away
Going To California
You're Time Is Gonna Come

This list could go on, and on, and on...

Physical Graffiti is fucking brilliant!

I'm also a huge Zep fan...I've been exposed to them (and 'classic rock' in general) since I was in the womb. My favorites are:

*Hey Hey What Can I Do
*In My Time of Dying
*Ten Years Gone
*Going to California
*Tangerine
*Your Time is Gonna Come
*No Quarter

And many, many more....

MrBrau1 said:
"Ramble On" is great cause they sing about Mordor and Gollum. LOTR nerd crap I like it.

My thoughts exactly, I love a gollum reference in any song, buuuuut in a led zep song, well that is just ace:wink:

I really like led zep, I grew up with them by way of my Dad, great music, I am mainly a fan of albums1 to 3 and funnily enough I absolutely cant stand stairway to heaven, by far in my opinion one of their worst songs- I prefer it when they rock out more.....anyway fave songs are:

ramble on
I cant quit you babe
gallows pole
the battle of evermore (more tolkien refs!!!!!)
:)

Favorite Classic Rock Tunes of Mine:

from Zeppelin:
Kashmir
Going To California
Ten Years Gone
When The Levee Breaks
In The Light
Achilles Last Stand

The Who:
Baba O'Reilly
Won't Get Fooled Again

Beatles:
Rain
Blackbird
Hey Jude
Lucy In The Sky

Hendrix:
Red House
Wind Cries Mary
Voodoo Chile

Pink Floyd:
Dark Side of the Moon (all)

bayernfc said:
:up: Actually classic rock stations are the only ones I can handle these days!!

no shit

no shit as in yeah i totally agree, because they're not perfect...occasionaly there's a crap song, but it's far more rare than on mainstream current radio

fo' sho'

I love the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Pink Floyd, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Santana, The Rolling Stones and all kinds of "dinosaur music."

I like the concept of classic rock radio, but unfortunately where I live the execution isn't very good. They play the same old songs over and over and over again. Also, they play music by a lot of bands I hate, like Bon Jovi and REO Speedwagon.

i don't get it when they play pearl jam

i like pearl jam, but stuff released in '91 ain't classic just yet. hell, if i'm under 20 and i was around then, it doesn't count.

bayernfc said:
:up: Actually classic rock stations are the only ones I can handle these days!!

I agree, except for when the following are played:

*Styx
*REO Speedwagon
*Foreigner

I've been meaning to post here but couldn't think of what to say. Led Zeppelin is true and pure greatness. Their talent and ideas were so immense that every album was varied in style and song type. They never put on weird outfits and said, look at us, we're different, we changed! yet their catalog is diverse, ranging from soft accoustic ballads to hard rock and heavy metal. They never set out to 'experiment' and try or force anything, it happened naturally because they were so good at so much and had so many ideas. That is, I think, the true mark of greatness. Nothing they did was ever a gimmic. They put out what they wanted to do, and with a very few exceptions IMO, it was all incredibly good. They are mystic, with Tolkien influences, and references to ancient times and British history. Robert Plant is a poet and Jimmy Page is a genius.

Led Zeppelin= :bow:

The thing with Zep is that their music catalog is timeless. It holds up very well in this day and age. Only song I wouldn't mind not hearing by them is "Stairway To Heaven." That song was played
to death....and continues to be played to death. LOL!

I adore the Zep. To be honest, I'd probably choose them as the greatest band of all time. It's unfortunate that they ended up spawning a lot of really, really bad music. (Though some of it was also entertaining!) To me they're kind of like Tolkien--amazing originals, with great visions and creativity, but they ended up inspiring some dire stuff. Oh well. I got to see Page and Plant about--oh my goodness--almost six years ago?! I can't believe it's that long, it feels like two or three at the most! I was blown away--I know it's not actually Zep, but now you won't get closer, and they had such energy and beauty.

Faves include:

Kashmir (almost certainly my favourite)
Good Times Bad Times
Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
What Is And What SHould Never Be
Thank You
Heartbreaker
Ramble On
Bring It On Home
Immigrant Song
Friends
That's the Way
Stairway
Battle of Evermore
When the Levee Breaks
Goin to California
Misty Mountain Hop
Rain Song
Song Remains the Same
Over the Hills
Down By the Seaside
In the Light
In My Time of Dying
Achilles
All My Love
Travelling Riverside Blues

Um...I really love this band! :)

I loved Led Zeppeling but had grown tired of listening to them. I grew up in the 60's and 70's and have been listening to them for a long tiime. I have only replaced a few of my LZ records with cds. However, I recently purchased the the 2 DVD set Led Zeppelin and it is fantastic. I am completely enthralled with this band again. If you love this band, you have to get this DVD set. Concert footage from the Royal Albert Hall 1970, Madison Square Garden 1973, Earl's Court 1975 and Knebworth 1979. The four of them together have a unique chemistry, I only wish I had seen them live.

RockNRollDawgie said:
The thing with Zep is that their music catalog is timeless. It holds up very well in this day and age. Only song I wouldn't mind not hearing by them is "Stairway To Heaven." That song was played
to death....and continues to be played to death. LOL!

I know what you mean. I actually don't really mind stairway...maybe i just don't tune in to the classic radio station enough. but yes...their catalog is timeless and a on the whole...a true masterpiece.

Flying FuManchu said:
They've "stolen" from bluesmen with riffs and lines from what I hear. Shocked me to hear it b/c they are considered rock deities.

Ah, this issue again. The only song which ever came into legitimate question (and litigation) was Whole Lotta Love, but the riff was original... some lines may appear to have been usurped from predecessor blues songs, but that was the nature of rock in the early days. For the most part it was just an homage to the pioneers, not a strike against creativity.

I wouldn't let such an exaggerated rumor discolor the image of the band.

:up:

not my thing (especially the Gollum references ;)), but more power to you if you like them!

i'm discovering a lot of 'classic' music these days, enjoying particularly big star, the zombies, and of course, the velvet underground

Best classic rock artists/bands...

1. U2 (if it counts as classic rock)
1. The Who
3. Led Zeppelin
4. The Beatles
5. Pink Floyd
5. The Doors
7. Jethro Tull
8. The Moody Blues
8. Stevie Nicks (solo)
8. The Police
8. The Rolling Stones
8. George Harrison (solo)
8. Fleetwood Mac
8. Steve Winwood (Traffic, Blind Faith, & Solo work combined)
15. Creedence Clearwater Revival
16. Simon & Garfunkel
16. Roger Daltrey (solo) (never heard on the radio :mad: )
18. Bob Seger
18. Jimi Hendrix
20. Billy Joel
20. Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
22. Supertramp
22. The Talking Heads
24. The Pretenders
24. Elton John
26. Bachman Turner Overdrive

90 percent of the above are better than anything not considered classic rock.

3 to 10 good songs...

Cream
Joe Cocker
Genesis
Don Henley
Heart
The Kinks
Traffic
Rod Stewart
Paul McCartney (solo)
Bob Dylan
John Lennon (solo)
Dire Straits
The Animals
Neil Young
Eric Clapton (solo)

1 or 2 good songs....

Don Mclean
Blind Faith
Steppenwolf
Procol Harum
Bad Company
Black Sabbath
Ten Years After
Grand Funk Railroad
Phil Collins (solo)
Ringo Starr (solo)

overrated, yet tolerable...

The Eagles
Van Morrison
Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young

Worst classic rock bands/artists (in no particular order)
:barf: :mad: :down: :yuck: :rant: :banghead:

- Steely Dan
- ZZ Top
- Aerosmith
- Steve Miller
- Elvis Presley
- whoever does that nauseating "Year of the Cat" song
- Pearl Jam (great music, terrible voice)
- most "oldies" bubblegum pop songs

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom