Least favorite musical genre - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: What do you think is the worst musical genre?
rap metal/rap rock 9 18.37%
heavy metal/death metal/numetal 11 22.45%
country (the whiney kind) 14 28.57%
rhythm and blues (the whiney kind) 1 2.04%
techno/electronica/disco 3 6.12%
rap 2 4.08%
easy listening or instrumental 1 2.04%
teen pop/ boy bands/manufactured idols 5 10.20%
jazz/scat/ska 0 0%
other please specify in a post 3 6.12%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2003, 11:16 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:47 PM
Least favorite musical genre

What hits a sore spot with you most? For me, it's got to be rap-rock, rap-metal crap. There is just no tune and a lot of screaming. I know when rock came out, old folks said it was only beating and banging, but this really IS! What's yours?

Old 04-25-2003, 11:25 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:47 PM
Excellent poll!!

Old 04-25-2003, 11:52 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:47 PM
Only one???
Old 04-25-2003, 12:03 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:47 AM
I kinda like bits and pieces of the stuff up there, but I gotta say nu-metal bugs me more than anything else, although not all heavy metal is nu-metal.
Old 04-25-2003, 12:52 PM   #5
Elvis' Naughty Angel

Country by far. I like absolutely NO country. Next on the list would be rap... but I like the Beasties and some Eminem so there you go.

Country =
Old 04-25-2003, 12:59 PM   #6
Refugee

Good Idea for a Poll!

I could easily choose 2-3 (maybe more) of the above.....but definitely Country.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:34 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

My worst is metal stuff, easily, never cared for it.....
Old 04-25-2003, 01:38 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

I finally decided on heavy metal/death metal/numetal. I can find no redeeming qualities in that type of music.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:57 PM   #9
MacPhisto's serving wench

I would say dance music - the kind with like, no words, but just beats and bass and I live in a land of ginos and ginas. I can't take it!

But I wasn't sure if that was considered techno/electronica so in the end I just chose whiney counrty. Although the nu age/heavy metal was a very very veryclose second.
Old 04-25-2003, 02:00 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

death metal scares me. especially the kind where the singer has a freaky satan voice.

*barfs
Old 04-25-2003, 02:06 PM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

rap metal
Old 04-25-2003, 02:39 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel
rap metal
absolutely.
Old 04-25-2003, 04:02 PM   #13
I Serve Larry's Stick

Quote:
Originally posted by yertle-the-turtle
I kinda like bits and pieces of the stuff up there, but I gotta say nu-metal bugs me more than anything else, although not all heavy metal is nu-metal.
Exactly...not that I'm a metal head, but I loathe numetal, and would much rather listen to well, "real" metal, if that makes any sense.
Old 04-25-2003, 04:23 PM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier

do you mean which genre you like least due to the musical style, or the business side?

i didn't vote in the poll because i didn't know how to. i don't like several of the general categories of music listed, but the music itself is usually the lesser evil, the worst part being the corporation behind particular genres. i've never liked rap/hip hop or country. musically, neither style of music does anything for me, and i generally can't stand to listen to either for more than 30 seconds. in order to make a good comparrision though, i'd have to weigh apples againt oranges--a cliche, but truth nonetheless. and also, there are always exceptions to any category of music. i'd say that techno/dance music doesn't appeal to me, but if i'm in the right kind of mood, i can listen to a 2 hour underground techno/dance radio show.

on the other end of the arguement, you have boy bands and pop stars on american idol. i'm not saying i personally like any music put out by those groups, but the other night on the way home from a punk rock show i was discussing various types of music with another dj at the campus radio station. he made the statement that he can stand nsync before linkin park. the way i see things, they're both the same product, more or less being sold to the same audience. the arguement was that nsync doesn't try to promote themselves as much more than a choreographed pop act, whereas linkin park thinks they're actually a rock band. so now how do i chose a lesser evil in the world of manufactured commodity music?

that being said, it is also incredibly difficult (and somewhat futile) to even try to put music into genres. the list in the poll needs some revision in my opinion, but anyone else might come into this thread, feeling the need to revise it, and come up with a totally different grouping than i would.

classifications of metal is a rather dicey situation. heavy metal is different from death metal. nu-metal isn't even really metal, it's the kind of talent-less rock that you find all over mainstream radio. american death metal is quite different from european death metal. and of course, 'mainstream' anything (more or less popular by comparision to other bands in the same category as opposed to popularity among the general music-listening public) is vastly different from indie/underground.

the jazz/scat/ska grouping bothers me in the sense that i don't understand how ska fits in. the only real similarities i see between ska and jazz are instrumental ones, and this similarity doesn't go past the presence of a horn section. again, there are so many different kinds of jazz and ska that it's hard to contrast jazz and ska; you can write seperate theses on the musical differences between bop and swing/big band jazz, and the historical importance of each style, yet you're still only talking about jazz. in a general rhythmic sense, ska has more in common with reggae than with jazz.
Old 04-25-2003, 04:51 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 04:47 PM
I voted "Other" because my absolute least favorite music genre is disco.

I'm sorry, but I just can't get into that stuff...I know a lot of people out there love songs like "Stayin' Alive" and "Dancing Queen" and "I Will Survive"...I personally cannot stand those songs, along with various others.

Second on the list would be country. There are very few country artists out there I'll listen to, and if there are any, most of them are from my parents and grandparents' generations. A lot of what they call "country" music today sucks and is not true country.

Those are the only two genres I really hate. Other than that I'll listen to music from pretty much any genre. Yeah, there's certain artists I may not care for in the genres I listen to, but there's also great music from all the other genres out there, so...

And all this being said, I mean no offense to anyone out there who does like disco music or country music. .

Basically, I just feel that as long as you enjoy what you're listening to, that's all that matters.

Angela