Least favorite musical genre

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What do you think is the worst musical genre?

• rap metal/rap rock

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • heavy metal/death metal/numetal

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • country (the whiney kind)

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • rhythm and blues (the whiney kind)

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • techno/electronica/disco

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • rap

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • easy listening or instrumental

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • teen pop/ boy bands/manufactured idols

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • jazz/scat/ska

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other please specify in a post

Votes: 3 6.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
What hits a sore spot with you most? For me, it's got to be rap-rock, rap-metal crap. There is just no tune and a lot of screaming. I know when rock came out, old folks said it was only beating and banging, but this really IS! What's yours?

Country by far. I like absolutely NO country. Next on the list would be rap... but I like the Beasties and some Eminem so there you go.

Country = :barf:

I would say dance music - the kind with like, no words, but just beats and bass and :scream: I live in a land of ginos and ginas. I can't take it!

But I wasn't sure if that was considered techno/electronica so in the end I just chose whiney counrty. Although the nu age/heavy metal was a very very veryclose second.

yertle-the-turtle said:
I kinda like bits and pieces of the stuff up there, but I gotta say nu-metal bugs me more than anything else, although not all heavy metal is nu-metal.

Exactly...not that I'm a metal head, but I loathe numetal, and would much rather listen to well, "real" metal, if that makes any sense.

do you mean which genre you like least due to the musical style, or the business side?

i didn't vote in the poll because i didn't know how to. i don't like several of the general categories of music listed, but the music itself is usually the lesser evil, the worst part being the corporation behind particular genres. i've never liked rap/hip hop or country. musically, neither style of music does anything for me, and i generally can't stand to listen to either for more than 30 seconds. in order to make a good comparrision though, i'd have to weigh apples againt oranges--a cliche, but truth nonetheless. and also, there are always exceptions to any category of music. i'd say that techno/dance music doesn't appeal to me, but if i'm in the right kind of mood, i can listen to a 2 hour underground techno/dance radio show.

on the other end of the arguement, you have boy bands and pop stars on american idol. i'm not saying i personally like any music put out by those groups, but the other night on the way home from a punk rock show i was discussing various types of music with another dj at the campus radio station. he made the statement that he can stand nsync before linkin park. the way i see things, they're both the same product, more or less being sold to the same audience. the arguement was that nsync doesn't try to promote themselves as much more than a choreographed pop act, whereas linkin park thinks they're actually a rock band. so now how do i chose a lesser evil in the world of manufactured commodity music?

that being said, it is also incredibly difficult (and somewhat futile) to even try to put music into genres. the list in the poll needs some revision in my opinion, but anyone else might come into this thread, feeling the need to revise it, and come up with a totally different grouping than i would.

classifications of metal is a rather dicey situation. heavy metal is different from death metal. nu-metal isn't even really metal, it's the kind of talent-less rock that you find all over mainstream radio. american death metal is quite different from european death metal. and of course, 'mainstream' anything (more or less popular by comparision to other bands in the same category as opposed to popularity among the general music-listening public) is vastly different from indie/underground.

the jazz/scat/ska grouping bothers me in the sense that i don't understand how ska fits in. the only real similarities i see between ska and jazz are instrumental ones, and this similarity doesn't go past the presence of a horn section. again, there are so many different kinds of jazz and ska that it's hard to contrast jazz and ska; you can write seperate theses on the musical differences between bop and swing/big band jazz, and the historical importance of each style, yet you're still only talking about jazz. in a general rhythmic sense, ska has more in common with reggae than with jazz.

I voted "Other" because my absolute least favorite music genre is disco.

I'm sorry, but I just can't get into that stuff...I know a lot of people out there love songs like "Stayin' Alive" and "Dancing Queen" and "I Will Survive"...I personally cannot stand those songs, along with various others.

Second on the list would be country. There are very few country artists out there I'll listen to, and if there are any, most of them are from my parents and grandparents' generations. A lot of what they call "country" music today sucks and is not true country.

Those are the only two genres I really hate. Other than that I'll listen to music from pretty much any genre. Yeah, there's certain artists I may not care for in the genres I listen to, but there's also great music from all the other genres out there, so...

And all this being said, I mean no offense to anyone out there who does like disco music or country music. :).

Basically, I just feel that as long as you enjoy what you're listening to, that's all that matters.

Angela

What a poll!! :lol:
The problem is...I wanted to click more than a few there...dammit I should have used the "other" option. :der:
But here my choice was the death metal crap...that music can turn a perfectly fine mood into :yell:
:crack:

but death metal has the funniest lyrics! i mean, do they REALLY take all that canibalistic stuff seriously?

IWasBored said:
but death metal has the funniest lyrics! i mean, do they REALLY take all that canibalistic stuff seriously?
:der: that's something I truly don't want the answer to :der:
:uhoh: something tells me they do :uhoh:

mmmBono said:

:der: that's something I truly don't want the answer to :der:
:uhoh: something tells me they do :uhoh:

i know of some bands that supposedly are joking. i was just wondering about in general

uh...i chose pop because i hate the attitude behind it...but really i equally despise:

rap metal/rap rock
heavy metal/death metal/numetal
country (the whiney kind)
and rap

i'm kinda picky...

Sorry, I should have made more categories but I was trying to condense the list. I thought disco belonged in with techno and electronica even though original disco was not just like it, it's similar, it's 'dance music.' I forgot to put that. I know real, original heavy metal is not the same as death metal or numetal, and I shouldn't have lumped them together, but these days most newer heavy metal sounds like that, sadly. I also forgot hiphop, I guess that should be in with rap. I shouldn't have put ska in with jazz. I'd like to pick more than one too! A lot of sorry music out there!

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:
Sorry, I should have made more categories but I was trying to condense the list. I thought disco belonged in with techno and electronica even though original disco was not just like it, it's similar, it's 'dance music.' I forgot to put that. I know real, original heavy metal is not the same as death metal or numetal, and I shouldn't have lumped them together, but these days most newer heavy metal sounds like that, sadly. I also forgot hiphop, I guess that should be in with rap. I'd like to pick more than one too! A lot of sorry music out there!

don't worry about it, as i said before no one's going to agree completly with any categorization that anyone comes up with. that long rambel i posted before was just me being a music geek.

And musicals and alternative country (which cannot in any way be lumped in with country)...but geesh, that would've been a long poll

Moonlit_Angel said:
I voted "Other" because my absolute least favorite music genre is disco.

I'm sorry, but I just can't get into that stuff...I know a lot of people out there love songs like "Stayin' Alive" and "Dancing Queen" and "I Will Survive"...I personally cannot stand those songs, along with various others.

Second on the list would be country. There are very few country artists out there I'll listen to, and if there are any, most of them are from my parents and grandparents' generations. A lot of what they call "country" music today sucks and is not true country.

Those are the only two genres I really hate. Other than that I'll listen to music from pretty much any genre. Yeah, there's certain artists I may not care for in the genres I listen to, but there's also great music from all the other genres out there, so...

And all this being said, I mean no offense to anyone out there who does like disco music or country music. :).

Basically, I just feel that as long as you enjoy what you're listening to, that's all that matters.

Angela

I had disco, it was in with techno. I hated disco when I was a kid, Bee Gees, Chic, Villiage People, all that junk! I still do! :down: I agree, the country my parents and grandparents listened to was true country- Johnny Cash, Carter Family, Ernest Tubb, Grand Ole Opry. I used to not like it when I was a kid but I appreciate a lot of it now, but I don't like most of today's new country- it's so cheesy and whiney and it all sounds so alike. Some of it is just as prepackaged and polished as the teen pop!

I was bored- I feel the same way about you about the categories, you were right! I was just trying to condense the list. I just wanted you to know I knew better. We could probably even think up more! :no:

Last edited:
It was hard to decide, but I finally chose manufactured pop because the fakeness and attitude annoys me beyond belief. My first instinct was country, but I'm starting to actually appreciate some of it, so that was ruled out.. but it was hard to decide between rap metal, heavy metal, and pop. Instrumental annoys me quite a bit too, but it's pretty neutral.

Um, yeah, I ramble. :|

I picked teen/manufactured pop. Modern rap drives me up the wall, but back in the late '80s when it first broke into the mainsteam I thought some of it was pretty interesting, especially Run DMC and Public Enemy. I loathe modern country, but I like Johnny Cash and think Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers have put out some decent stuff, so at least modern country came out of something that was good in the first place. But the entire IDEA of manufactured pop is sickening to me. It reduces music to nothing more than a way to get 13-year-old girls to waste their allowances.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom