Least favorite musical genre

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What do you think is the worst musical genre?

• rap metal/rap rock

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • heavy metal/death metal/numetal

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • country (the whiney kind)

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • rhythm and blues (the whiney kind)

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • techno/electronica/disco

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • rap

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • easy listening or instrumental

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • teen pop/ boy bands/manufactured idols

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • jazz/scat/ska

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other please specify in a post

Votes: 3 6.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I chose country, because a genre on the whole (and i'm talking the modern stuff here) it is the least interesting and most predictable I think. At least with teenybop pop there's occasionally interesting things going on, but popcountry just seems completely unidentifable from itself, so since i don't like it in the first place there's the least possibility of it contributing anything to my musical pallette.

while i despise nu metal and all the rock/rap hybrids, even if they'd been in their own category, i still wouldn't have voted for them. i hate the manufactured pop music. whatever happened to anyone actually trying to make a name for themselves? appearing on american idol and the mickey mouse club doesn't count.

the girls acted all cutesy when it was all right, and now that they know they've got their hooks into everyone's wallets, they've become their "true selves" - total sluts. the guys haven't really changed i suppose, but that doesn't make them any less annoying.

this boy band stuff tends to come and go in waves, so when will this fad die out again?

Does Enigma count as Gregorian Chant? There's something occasionally appealing about Carl Orff and transcendental genre mood music, if you are feeling like adopting a lotus pose and taking yourself to another plane. Not that I ever do a lotus and meditate, but lots of things in small doses is good.

U2Kitten said:
I had disco, it was in with techno. I hated disco when I was a kid, Bee Gees, Chic, Villiage People, all that junk! I still do! :down:

In the 60s, when the Bee Gees did songs like "Massachusetts", that was fine, I didn't mind them then.

But once they got into the disco territory...uh-uh...:no:.

Originally posted by U2Kitten
I agree, the country my parents and grandparents listened to was true country- Johnny Cash, Carter Family, Ernest Tubb, Grand Ole Opry. I used to not like it when I was a kid but I appreciate a lot of it now, but I don't like most of today's new country- it's so cheesy and whiney and it all sounds so alike. Some of it is just as prepackaged and polished as the teen pop!

Yep. Exactly.

Johnny Cash is cool. I have respect for that guy. :).

Someone mentioned polka-I forgot about polka! I've only heard a little of it, but the bit I have heard...ugh.

Haha, my mom talks about how, when she was little, whenever her family would be going on vacation somewhere, she'd be up front with her parents, and her dad would have the radio on, and it would always be tuned to polka stations, and her dad would leave the station on even as it started fading out, and her mom would be yelling at her dad to change the station. So you'd hear, "Oompa, oompa, oompa...static...oompa, oompa, oompa...more static...".

Course, my grandma's music tastes weren't that much better-she'd listen to the stuff you hear on Lawrence Welk.

Yep. Real exciting music there.

I'm also not a fan of a lot of Christian music-it's just not something I could sit and listen to for hours on end (one of my friends and her mom are both rather religious and they'd play that music sometimes while I was at her house...not my type of music).

My sister told me one time she actually heard some Christian rap. :huh:...

:shrug:. I dunno. I'd think that would be an oxymoron...

Angela

meegannie said:
There's a Christian version of every type of music. :crack:

how about christian indian music?

"jesus loves you *sitar* god is great *more sitar*"??

:wink:

Angie: Enigma always struck me as a little silly, but I know what you mean. By Gregorian Chants I was referring to all those Masters Of Chant compilations. I guess if you want to listen to 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' sung in a monotone in a cave that's fine, but I don't quite get it.

There's actually some Christian rave music out there. And Christian Death Metal. And there's a silly litle band I was into when I was younger called the 'Apologetix' who do Weird-Al style parodies of contemporary songs with 'new' lyrics. If you ever wanted to hear 'I Love Rock N' Roll' recast as 'I Love Apostle Paul' or 'The Real Slim Saviour'...:laugh:

P.S. I'm not knocking Christianity in any way, so if you're offended, sorry. I'm a believer but I think musically a lot of these bands aren't that great.

Last edited:
christian death metal, yes. we've had many a discussion about that at radio station music staff meetings.

Contemporary Christian music. I can't stand any and all forms of it.

Melon

Think i have to go with heavy metal/death metal/numetal, as difficult as that choice is. I've probably found one song in every category that I actually can sort of like, but i think this my least favorite and I find it the most annoying...

yertle-the-turtle said:
There's actually some Christian rave music out there. And Christian Death Metal. And there's a silly litle band I was into when I was younger called the 'Apologetix' who do Weird-Al style parodies of contemporary songs with 'new' lyrics. If you ever wanted to hear 'I Love Rock N' Roll' recast as 'I Love Apostle Paul' or 'The Real Slim Saviour'...:laugh:

:eyebrow:

Christian Death Metal????

:lol:!

Now I've heard everything!

Angela

Yeah the Bee Gees were okay before they went disco. I liked "I Started a Joke" and some of those others. I just can't stomach disco, and when they sang in that high pitched voice! :no:

Back
Top Bottom