Learning an instrument

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WCF

The Fly
Anyone else here learning or already know how to play an instrument?

I just picked up bass a couple days ago. Left-handed Ibanez GSR200 if anyone wants to know. I'm going to try to self-teach myself, maybe with some help from friends here and there. Hopefully I'll get it within the next couple months.

What do you guys play? How long did it take you to really "get it" and how did you learn? Any advice for me?

I ve been playing piano for the last 20 years.

Advice no.1: never force yourself to play - just play when you like.

Advice no.2: put on your favourite records and learn some songs listening to the bass line on there

I've been playing Guitar since the start of 2004.

I had about 6-8 lessons before I got sick of learning simple stuff, and decided I'd just teach myself.

(And Thanks To The Internet)....I think I've taught myself thorough Guitar Tabs, and stuff to be a reasonable guitar player.

I guess I could probably read sheet music better if I'd continued with the lessons, but now I can play the odd song from my favorite bands at the moment (Muse & The White Stripes)

I'm really starting to get into buying effects and stuff (I have a crappy muli-effect pedal and a brand spanking new Digitech Whammy....it is the shit!)

If you find something that makes you go "oh thats just way to damn hard"...best way to learn it is to go step-by-step, player it slow and gradually you'll pick it up and be able to play it at normal pace.

Basically practice makes perfect (and i'm still far from perfect)

I've played the piano most of my life. I'm rusty now, but can still sit down and sight-read when the need arises.

I played French horn in high school.

My other instrument, I carry with me wherever I go. I sing! That counts as an instrument, right? :wink:

I play guitar and bass. I got my first guitar on my thirteenth birthday. Through a combination of chord/technique books and watching music videos, I managed to learn the instrument without formal lessons. For my nineteenth birthday (last year) I got my first bass. Once you've played guitar for six years, making the transition to bass is easy as anything.

My only advice is to keep at it. Don't give up if you find it difficult. I didn't touch my guitar for almost three months when I first got it, because I found it such a challenge. Then I just sucked it up and forced myself to keep playing. It takes willpower to get over the first few hurdles. But in a few months, if you've been practising regularly, you'll be playing barre chords like it's nobody's business. :wink:

bono_man2002 said:
(I have a crappy muli-effect pedal and a brand spanking new Digitech Whammy....it is the shit!)

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Digitech Whammy. I've wanted one of those for so long, it's not even funny. I've a Digitech RP200 multi-effects pedal which comes with a Whammy effect preinstalled...but it's just not the same!

I've been playing guitar on and off since I was about 13. Started off with a second hand acoustic and nothing but power chords, and then progressed to a second hand electric and actually started to learn songs on my own. This past year I upgraded again to a brand new Epiphone Les Paul 56 goldtop. :drool:

Sometimes it takes an upgrade to renew your love for an instrument. I can play most of U2's catalogue now, and I'm working on some Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin lately.

I took me a while to actually understand the whole chord thing (I still don't understand some of it), but once you have basic chords down, you can play a simple version of just about anything. I agree about playing only when you want to; if you force yourself to play, it'll just become a chore, and not something that you love to do.

bono_man2002 said:
If you find something that makes you go "oh thats just way to damn hard"...best way to learn it is to go step-by-step, player it slow and gradually you'll pick it up and be able to play it at normal pace.

Basically practice makes perfect (and i'm still far from perfect)

The the best advice I got when learning to play the piano was that everytime you play a sequence wrong, you have to play it right ten times to prevent getting it wrong again.

Once you play something wrong a few times it becomes normal and then very difficult to get it corrected.

Slowing it down and gradually speeding it up is great advice.

Musicality really runs in my family - I have a relative who is a well-known Canadian singer, and my mom was in a pretty popular local band (in the States) in the 70's. Most of my aunts and uncles and my mom sing in their churches or other community groups.

I started taking piano lessons when I was 10, and did that for about 8 years. I had a great teacher who was very understanding and patient, and was very encouraging. It took me a while to get the hang of it, but once I got it, the rest was easy. I practised constantly, which is something I recommend. As lame as it sounds, practice makes perfect. I don't play regularly any more because I don't own a piano or keyboard, but it wouldn't be too hard to pick up again.

I taught myself to play the guitar when I was 17. I found a book that explained all the chords, and once I learned those I would play them over and over again, until I got the hang of it. I could already read music, so it wasn't too difficult to learn the songs that I loved. I was able to learn by listening, so I would often have the radio on, and would try to mimic what I was hearing. It was frustrating at times, but I loved it so much that I didn't mind how long it took me to learn something. I played for about a year, but then I went to university and didn't have time to devote to practising, so I stopped. I've decided to pick this up again, and am starting lessons in a few weeks. I've always loved the guitar, and regretted giving it up so quickly, so I'm jumping back into it again. I'm really excited!

I can also play the flute and the violin very badly. Most of my musical lessons, experience, etc. is with singing. I was always in musicals, bands and choirs from about as young as 5 years old and well into my 20's. That is something I'm going to start up again in the future too. My main goal right now is to focus on learning guitar.

Last edited:
I've played piano for over 15 years now. The only way to get good is to practice and stick to it, plain and simple. Natural talent helps, but it's practicing that will build your technique and get you past the big hurdles.

I've also dabbled with guitar, but I'm still on the basics there.

I taught myself guitar about six years ago by being patient and working diligently at it. It's not too hard if you've got the right work ethic.

I've played the piano since around kindergarden, so thats about 7 years.

I've played the guitar for about a year or 2 now, but I stopped lessons in February because of basketball, so I'm a little rusty.

GibsonGirl said:

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Digitech Whammy. I've wanted one of those for so long, it's not even funny. I've a Digitech RP200 multi-effects pedal which comes with a Whammy effect preinstalled...but it's just not the same!

Ever since I got into The White Stripes and Muse I've wanted one of these....its a pricey pedal, but oh so worth it :drool: :drool: :drool:

I really want to learn guitar, but I'm probably getting past my optimum learning curve :( I can play flute, but I realize this isn't overly impressive :wink: I learned that in kindergarten.

My grandfather's got an accordion and two really old fiddles that I'd love to at least inherit, if not play.

A question to all you self-taught people. I know a lot of people like to just look up guitar tabs on the internet and play their favorite songs. I have a book (probably get more) on how to play bass. Although it's more fun playing songs you like, I would think I could learn more off the book. Would it be better to go through that?

adrball said:

Slowing it down and gradually speeding it up is great advice.

:up: And use a metronome. Master it slowly with a metronome, then increase the tempo and master that, and so forth. I studied guitar for 4 years with an amazing teacher (who taught professional guitarists) and this was one of his methods. If you can't keep time, you can't play, and without a metronome the tendency is to rush and get sloppy.

Repeat repeat repeat. He would not let me move on until I had mastered each measure. I'd sit for hours just practicing one or two chord changes over and over and over.

A couple of his 'isms':

Master one thing and everything gets better. For example, working on just your timing will also improve your fingering. Get that one chord progression down and suddenly your overall timing is better. That sorta thing.

"Mistakes mean nothing; recovery is everything."

Good luck!

I play drums.. I had lessons for 2 1/2 years at a college (some extension program.. I was still in school)

I had the lessons and I also played with a video... put on ZooTV, or ppmart Santiago, or Metallica's S&M... or a CD I had welll written in my head and the radio at full.... that's how I practiced

I also play guitar, self-taught... but just acoustics.... I can give Bono a run for his money :wink:... just chords, but that's enough for me to be happy and also to make songs...

for this... and this is my advise... I LEARNED WITH A U2 MUSIC MAGAZINE... it had the "history" of the band, and a lot of songs with it's chords... it was quite strange to realize that Bad has 2 chords.... for 7 minutes, just 2... oh well

try to get a book or magazine like that... I hope that helps you

I learned various saxophones in school and through lessons (fingering's all the same but the sounds are distinctly different), now I only keep up the soprano.

I also taught myself guitar and piano, I'm not stellar at either but I know how to play a fair bit.

well, i took piano lessons for about 4 years in elementary school, but the teacher was crazy so i quit...though i wish i'd kept them up with a different teacher

nevertheless, i've started to reteach myself, since i can already read music and all that...i picked up a music theory book to get the hang of chords and stuff so i can write songs

i also taught myself bass, enough to play in a band with some friends (we're about to record and play some fairly big local venues)

and i've kind of taught myself guitar, hoping it will help me write songs and stuff, plus it's nice to pick up someones guitar and be able to play stuff!

once i get a mac, i'm going to utilize garageband quite a bit..:wink:

Back
Top Bottom