Learning an instrument - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 05-16-2007, 10:02 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 04:37 AM
I really want to learn guitar, but I'm probably getting past my optimum learning curve I can play flute, but I realize this isn't overly impressive I learned that in kindergarten.

My grandfather's got an accordion and two really old fiddles that I'd love to at least inherit, if not play.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:30 AM   #17
The Fly
Local Time: 11:07 PM
A question to all you self-taught people. I know a lot of people like to just look up guitar tabs on the internet and play their favorite songs. I have a book (probably get more) on how to play bass. Although it's more fun playing songs you like, I would think I could learn more off the book. Would it be better to go through that?

Old 05-17-2007, 02:55 PM   #18
Local Time: 08:07 AM
You can't learn from a book. Whilst thinking you're doing okay you pick up bad habits that only a tutor can point out.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:09 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 01:07 AM
Originally posted by adrball

Slowing it down and gradually speeding it up is great advice.
And use a metronome. Master it slowly with a metronome, then increase the tempo and master that, and so forth. I studied guitar for 4 years with an amazing teacher (who taught professional guitarists) and this was one of his methods. If you can't keep time, you can't play, and without a metronome the tendency is to rush and get sloppy.

Repeat repeat repeat. He would not let me move on until I had mastered each measure. I'd sit for hours just practicing one or two chord changes over and over and over.

A couple of his 'isms':

Master one thing and everything gets better. For example, working on just your timing will also improve your fingering. Get that one chord progression down and suddenly your overall timing is better. That sorta thing.

"Mistakes mean nothing; recovery is everything."

Good luck!
Old 05-17-2007, 05:30 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 04:07 AM
I play drums.. I had lessons for 2 1/2 years at a college (some extension program.. I was still in school)

I had the lessons and I also played with a video... put on ZooTV, or ppmart Santiago, or Metallica's S&M... or a CD I had welll written in my head and the radio at full.... that's how I practiced

I also play guitar, self-taught... but just acoustics.... I can give Bono a run for his money ... just chords, but that's enough for me to be happy and also to make songs...

for this... and this is my advise... I LEARNED WITH A U2 MUSIC MAGAZINE... it had the "history" of the band, and a lot of songs with it's chords... it was quite strange to realize that Bad has 2 chords.... for 7 minutes, just 2... oh well

try to get a book or magazine like that... I hope that helps you
Old 05-18-2007, 11:08 PM   #21
love, blood, life
Local Time: 03:07 AM
I learned various saxophones in school and through lessons (fingering's all the same but the sounds are distinctly different), now I only keep up the soprano.

I also taught myself guitar and piano, I'm not stellar at either but I know how to play a fair bit.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:21 PM   #22
War Child
Local Time: 02:07 AM
well, i took piano lessons for about 4 years in elementary school, but the teacher was crazy so i quit...though i wish i'd kept them up with a different teacher

nevertheless, i've started to reteach myself, since i can already read music and all that...i picked up a music theory book to get the hang of chords and stuff so i can write songs

i also taught myself bass, enough to play in a band with some friends (we're about to record and play some fairly big local venues)

and i've kind of taught myself guitar, hoping it will help me write songs and stuff, plus it's nice to pick up someones guitar and be able to play stuff!

once i get a mac, i'm going to utilize garageband quite a bit..