Le Tour De France 2007

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

intedomine

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
After last year's drug debacle involving Floyd Landis, one hopes that this year's tour is drug-free.

It's been a cracking race so far. Cancellara's remarkable 3rd stage victory yesterday was really something. You have to feel for the three Frenchmen and the Belgian who made that breakaway. Chased down with justa kilometre to go. Two of those riders were leading the field for over 230 kilometrers. Extraordinary!

With the Prologue and Stage 1 being situated in England this year, it was certainly a novel change.

There is arguably no more difficult individual sport than road cycling, and some of the tactics used by the teams and their riders never fails to intrigue.

The next 3 weeks will be bliss....

I love the tour, despite everything that has happened in cycling lately. It just brings out the best in the sport and is so unpredictable. Who would have thought the yellow jersey would beat the sprinters yesterday?

I think Vino is the man to beat this year, although Valverde is dangerous. Schleck and Castre from CSC should do well, and I'm betting that Leipheimer really has a good performance now that he's back with Discovery.

Boring, boring, boring for me I'm afraid. Who wins the whole thing? The leader at the end? Most points? Best sprinter? Green/Yellow/Pink/Orange/Blue/Mauve jacket? :confused:

There's been some gnarly stacks though.

COBL_04 said:
Boring, boring, boring for me I'm afraid. Who wins the whole thing? The leader at the end? Most points? Best sprinter? Green/Yellow/Pink/Orange/Blue/Mauve jacket? :confused:

There's been some gnarly stacks though.

Yeah I used to hate (or fail to understand) the appeal of the Tour de France.

But after watching 2005's edition (when there was a rain delay at the Ashes) and the 2004 Athens Olympic Road Race, it all finally clicked. This is what individual sport is all about...the best and most tactically shrewd athletes competing for the ultimate prize in individual sport

Vino has hung in there so far, but I don't think he's going to be able to fully recover to contend now.

I'm curious if Leipheimer and Discovery have something planned for the Pyrenees. He purposely didn't make any moves yesterday, and probably won't tomorrow, either.

Rasmussen looked strong. Too bad he can't time trial very well, or else he'd be a lock for winning the whole thing.

Don't forget Cadel Evans. He always follows in the mountains and is a very good time trial rider.

I don't think Leipheimer is the man to beat. For discovery I have more hopes for Contador (however he is still young)

Oh, I agree. I don't think Leipheimer will win, either. I'm not even sure if he'll get on the podium, but Discovery seems to have something up their sleeves, I think.

Agreed about Cadel Evans. I think he and Valverde look to be the best right now. Moreau was good as well, but he usually can't sustain it through the whole tour.

Moreau always has a bad day in the tour.. You can be sure of that.
What do you think of danish dynamite Rasmussen. Do you think he could win? he needs at least a couple more minutes because he's not good in time trial, but once you got the yellow jersey around your shoulders you can always do a bit more..

Rasmussen needs to open up something like a 10 minute lead over the rest to have a chance, as there are two time trials still, and he sucks at those.

But he's an incredible climber. If he can work on his time trials, he'd be incredible all-around.

Looks like Vino is out of it now. I can't see him making up that much time.

Your GC contenders are now...

Rasmussen
Valverde
Mayo
Evans
Sastre
Kloden
Leipheimer
Moreau

Unless Leipheimer chokes, I think Contador will assist him in the Pyrenees. I bet that's the plan. Contador will get the white jersey this year.

Contador's a gun....

It seems so long ago now that Cancellara wore the yellow. Now he's ranked in the 100s.

I told you about Moreau :wink:

And you can do the same with Leipheimer after the first stage in the Pyrenees. Contador is stronger.

And, as a belgian, hopefully Boonnen will win the green yersey. Yesterday was a bad day, but I think he will keep it this year untill Paris

Last edited:
Agreed about Boonen. Despite being held up yesterday, I don't see Hunter or Zabel overtaking him for the green jersey. He'll win it.

Disagree about Leipheimer, though. He's one of those riders who, for some reason, historically does better in the Pyrenees than the Alps. Discovery is purposely saving him. He's the leader, and he'll push for a podium spot. Contador will get the white jersey.

looking good for Boonen after his victory yesterday. 3 win for us Belgians!
We've had some bad years the last years. So this is really good.
But I am still waiting for a Belgian who could combat for a place in the top 5, but I don't see anyone coming in the near future.
Where are the days that we dominated the Tour De France..

Today a very important day, we'll now more in a few hours.

And who knows that Leipheimer can surprise me..

I think by the end of the day today, Evans will be in yellow. Valverde isn't as good in this discipine as Evans, and they are very close in time.

I also look for Kloden to move up big time, and I think Leipheimer will have a decent race as well. Also, if Vino is feeling better, he might move up a little.

I see Rasmussen falling a lot, and Valverde, Sastre and Mayo conceding a little. By the end of the day, the top five could look like this:

Evans
Kloden
Contador
Leipheimer
Valverde

Well, Rasmussen sure proved to everyone he isn't going to go down quietly this year. What a performance. If he can gain time on everyone in the Pyrenees, he just might hold on.

But I think Evans is the man who might win this now. All he has to do is stay with everyone in the mountains, and take over the lead at the last time trial, and the Tour is his.

I expected Valverde and Mayo to lose time today, but man, they both really sucked, and lost more than I thought they would. They won't win this now.

My Dad totally loves it, tapes it every night and watches it with everyone else silent.
This question might be kinda silly and maybe I just haven't watched it as much this year . . . . . . . but. . . . . . . . .where's the guy that dresses up as the devil? I've seen an antler guy but not him?

Unless Contador can drop Rasmussen on Tuesday, it looks like the Dane will hold on. I can't see him losing over two minutes to Contador in the last time trial, especially seeing how much better he was at it the other day.

I'm surprised Evans couldn't stay with them. He'll get some time back in the time trial, but not enough to overtake either one. Looks like he's destined for third.

I was hoping Leipheimer would get a podium place, but he hasn't done anything, either. And Kloden will surely pass him in the time trial unless he does something special in the last mountain stage. But that doesn't look like it will happen.

Predicted order of finish:

Rasmussen
Contador
Evans
Kloden
Leipheimer

Vinokourov's team quits Tour as positive test comes to light

ESPN.com

PAU, France -- Tour de France rider Alexandre Vinokourov tested positive for a banned blood transfusion after winning last weekend's time trial, prompting his Astana team to pull out of the race Tuesday.

The positive test of the Kazakh rider, a one-time favorite to win cycling's premier event, dealt a heavy blow to a sport already reeling from a spate of doping scandals.

"Vino has tested positive having to do with a blood transfusion and the team is leaving the Tour," team spokeswoman Corinne Druey said, using the rider's nickname.

The positive test took place after the Kazakh rider's victory in the 13th stage time trial on Saturday, L'Equipe newspaper reported on its Web site.

Vinokourov won two stages this year -- the time trial in Albi and Monday's 15th stage. He is 23rd in the overall race standings.

British rider David Millar, who was holding a press conference in Pau when the news broke, said: "Jesus Christ, I'm speechless."

"With a guy of his stature and class, in cycling's current situation, we might as well pack our bags and go home," said Millar, who returned from a two-year doping ban in the Tour de France last year. Millar was stripped of his gold medal from the 2003 world championships after admitting taking the banned blood-booster EPO.

Once seen as a favorite to win the Tour, Vinokourov dropped out of contention for good Sunday after losing 28 minutes, 50 seconds to race leader Michael Rasmussen.

L'Equipe said the analysis was conducted by the Chatenay-Malabry lab on the outskirts of Paris. It said two distinctive types of red blood cells were found in the A sample and showed that Vinokourov received a blood transfusion from a compatible donor shortly before the time trial.

A senior French anti-doping official confirmed to The Associated Press that there was a positive test for a blood transfusion taken from a rider at the Tour on Saturday, but said he didn't know the name of the cyclist involved. He said the test found two different types of blood, one from the rider, one from a donor.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because no official announcement had been made.

Vinokourov has been a crowd favorite along the course route this year. He was injured in a crash in the fifth stage, requiring stitches in both knees.

"With a guy of his stature and class, in cycling's current situation, we might as well pack our bags and go home,'' said British rider David Millar, who came back from a two-year doping ban in the Tour last year.

Information from The Associated Press and Reuters was used in this report.

Ridiculous. :tsk:

I'm pulling for Contador. I don't know why really, but I just don't like Rasmussen. Haven't for a few years now.

Now Rasmussen has been removed. Talk about a Tour de Force.

Apparently he lied about where he was, and I guess that's enough to warrant his removal.

And an Italian rider tested positive the other day, so his whole team was removed.

Unbelievable.

Last edited:
Yes - unbelievable indeed....
And sadly Contador is not completely free from suspicion either....
He was mentioned in the documents from Operation Puerto after all....
he was somehow cleared.... but one cannot help wondering!!

the TOUR de Farce... the same as it ever was...
take it as it is, all the 'winners' of the last decades were heavy dopers... Rijs, Ulrich, Armstrong, Landis....etc.

ITS A SHAME!

Back
Top Bottom