Law and Order: SVU season 8 and Law and Order:CI Season 6 - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-16-2006, 11:54 AM   #76
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 09:06 PM
I don't like Dani either, but I think she's WAY better for him than Olivia. Now that Dani's in the picture, it's more obvious how he and Olivia never would've worked out outside of the job.

This show has never been one of the top crime dramas anyway (as far as quality, not popularity), so I'm all for some cheesy scandal!!
__________________

__________________
Liesje is offline  
Old 11-16-2006, 01:34 PM   #77
Blue Crack Supplier
 
IWasBored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 36,505
Local Time: 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bono_212



I am in agreement with everything...including the Fanning sisters comment.

They built no sexual tension between dani and stabler whatsoever and now it's just like...why? what was the point of this? Just HAD to have stabler get with someone else? Why can't he just get back with his wife...I know I know, it's silly to hope for, but that's still what I wish would happen.

like i said before, i think it's a time crunch strategy. oooh, we've only got six episodes to establish a character and wait! we must hook her up with our newly single male lead character!

either have him go back with his wife or set him up with someone outside of the police force. or at the very least, outside of the unit. i know the point is that he's never anywhere other than work, so writing in an opportunity for him to meet anyone outside of work is impossible.

office romances

the reason i got so easily hooked on this show was because it lacked sleazy romances. i'm going to start to think i'm a jinx--after 7 years, the season i start watching is where they introduce this crap?
__________________

__________________
IWasBored is online now  
Old 11-16-2006, 01:59 PM   #78
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by IWasBored




the reason i got so easily hooked on this show was because it lacked sleazy romances. i'm going to start to think i'm a jinx--after 7 years, the season i start watching is where they introduce this crap?
It's been a loooooong time coming! I've been predicting a Benson/Stabler hookup for four years, nearly the start of the show. After that long, I'll take what I can get! Beck/Stabler rather than Benson/Stabler.....meh, close enough.
__________________
Liesje is offline  
Old 11-16-2006, 03:07 PM   #79
Blue Crack Supplier
 
IWasBored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 36,505
Local Time: 10:06 PM
what? where? four years? i know i'm a newbie, but i have seen a lot of those episodes. and as for long time coming predictions...dreading is more like it. how could that not mess up the characters?

i forgot. this is the internet, and for some strange reason everyone online automatically assumes that every character on every show has to be interested romantically in one of the other main characters. no such thing as just friends. never.

of course, tv writers don't help this. they love to hook up pairings, or at the very least imply things. "feed the slashers" and such.

i'm never going to understand why caring about a friend/peer/colleague/police detective partner automatically means they should hook up.
__________________
IWasBored is online now  
Old 11-16-2006, 06:24 PM   #80
Blue Crack Addict
 
Doozer61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Setting up house on Scooter's Star
Posts: 20,218
Local Time: 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje


It's been a loooooong time coming! I've been predicting a Benson/Stabler hookup for four years, nearly the start of the show. After that long, I'll take what I can get! Beck/Stabler rather than Benson/Stabler.....meh, close enough.

actually, i was always praying for a Benson/Cabot hook-up!
__________________
Doozer61 is offline  
Old 11-16-2006, 08:48 PM   #81
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by IWasBored


i forgot. this is the internet, and for some strange reason everyone online automatically assumes that every character on every show has to be interested romantically in one of the other main characters. no such thing as just friends. never.
Yep, that was exactly my train of thought. "Regular" Law & Order is completely above all of this, and almost has this aura of prestige among crime dramas, so I figured that with SVU, it would go more mainstream and somewhere down the line, there would be a hookup. Stabler's relationship with his wife was rocky from the beginning. The divorce was obviously going to happen, and the next logical thing would be the Benson/Stabler hookup. I've accepted the fact that the writers of this show are going to give the mainstream what they want. I'm pleasantly surprised with the recent turn of events. For everyone who's called the Benson/Stabler hookup from the beginning, they did one over on us!
__________________
Liesje is offline  
Old 11-16-2006, 09:05 PM   #82
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Got Philk?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Arizona, Tacoma, Philadelphia ,Atlanta, LA...
Posts: 6,875
Local Time: 10:06 PM
My prediction though is they kiss, but it goes nowhere. Maybe even leads to Dani leaving the precinct and Benson completely back? I can't see L and O doing this. It's not right.
__________________
Got Philk? is offline  
Old 11-16-2006, 09:25 PM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
VertigoGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: I'm never alone (I'm alone all the time)
Posts: 9,860
Local Time: 09:06 PM
yeah I'm with Lies. we all know SVU is deliciously umm outlandish (? not sure if that's the word I want) at times...that's why I love it so much. it's fun to watch.

Ive been so busy I havent been watching at all lately, but as much as I dislike Dani this kind of stuff is bound to happen and hopefully it will lead to her getting kicked out and Olivia making a dramatic return or something like Phil suggested.

scandal
__________________
VertigoGal is offline  
Old 11-16-2006, 09:31 PM   #84
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 09:06 PM
....a threesome?

__________________
Liesje is offline  
Old 11-23-2006, 02:22 PM   #85
Blue Crack Addict
 
Doozer61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Setting up house on Scooter's Star
Posts: 20,218
Local Time: 06:06 PM
she's coming back!
__________________
Doozer61 is offline  
Old 11-23-2006, 08:59 PM   #86
Blue Crack Supplier
 
IWasBored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 36,505
Local Time: 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje


Yep, that was exactly my train of thought. "Regular" Law & Order is completely above all of this, and almost has this aura of prestige among crime dramas, so I figured that with SVU, it would go more mainstream and somewhere down the line, there would be a hookup. Stabler's relationship with his wife was rocky from the beginning. The divorce was obviously going to happen, and the next logical thing would be the Benson/Stabler hookup. I've accepted the fact that the writers of this show are going to give the mainstream what they want. I'm pleasantly surprised with the recent turn of events. For everyone who's called the Benson/Stabler hookup from the beginning, they did one over on us!

i think you missed my point. and i think you're also misinterpreting the definition of mainstream. mainstream just means that a lot of people like it. what you've got is the definition of bad--drama for drama's sake. often this fits the definition of mainstream, but the entire law & order franchise is still as mainstream as it comes. clearly, large numbers of people must still watch the original if it's still on the air. it's like u2. they're good, but they're still multi-millionaires. if it's a square, it's a rectangle, but not all rectangles are squares. i think my metaphors are running away with themselves.

anyway.

temporary partner lady is gone! i thought the excessive drama was handled a lot better than i was expecting. they kissed, and she left. it was more like he didn't want her to leave not because of her specifically, but because stabler is just sick of people leaving him. what he told the preist in whichever season 7 episode that was. he felt like he kept losing people. if the writers were trying to convince anyone that he actually ever had a thing for beck, they did a lousy job. too bad they're still abusing the character left and right, though. did dick wolf wake up one day and realize that they forgot to stab him in season 7 when they shot, molested, beat up, and blew him up (technically that was season 8, but it was close enough)?


look--i can be a fangirl, too. stabler back in shirts & ties he looked like the philsbury doughboy last week.
__________________
IWasBored is online now  
Old 11-24-2006, 11:51 PM   #87
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
VertigoGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: I'm never alone (I'm alone all the time)
Posts: 9,860
Local Time: 09:06 PM
I may start watching again.

saw a rerun tonight (I only ever see reruns it seems like)...the one where Elliott goes to Prague to catch child rapist/pornographers or something. And they've got some sicko in a basement and Elliott's completely beating the guy to a pulp because "we're not in america anymore!" Anger management issues there.
__________________
VertigoGal is offline  
Old 11-25-2006, 01:27 AM   #88
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal
I may start watching again.

saw a rerun tonight (I only ever see reruns it seems like)...the one where Elliott goes to Prague to catch child rapist/pornographers or something. And they've got some sicko in a basement and Elliott's completely beating the guy to a pulp because "we're not in america anymore!" Anger management issues there.
Yah, Elliot has some major issues that don't come out very often. Like the shaken-baby episode where he admitted to slapping one of his babies and he was crying to Hoang (or however Wong's character's name is spelled).

Can't wait for Olivia to come back so her and Elliot can start making their babies


IWB, I think "regular" Law & Order is becoming a lot less mainstream. I don't know many people who loved L&O who watch the new ones from the past few seasons. Hell, I don't even make a point of it, now that Jerry Orbach is gone. I'm sure they've taken a HUGE hit and that's a major reason why they've gone to such lengths to promote SVU and CI. The only place to get decent Law & Order now is TBS. No one I know that likes SVU watches the real deal; some don't even know it exists! I remember L&O:Trial By Jury and LOVED that. That was really the only spinoff to even come close to the regular L&O, and it only lasted what, like one season? It's crazy how the whole thing evolves. It was all born of Homicide: Life on the Streets. I don't think we even owned a TV when that was running!

I still love the original series' the best because it's all about the cases at hand, there's not these cheesy attempts at character development. You don't really know anything about any of the characters because it doesn't matter. Right from the beginning, SVU was different in this respect. The pilot episode opened up the whole thing about Olivia and her mom, and the "don't pick the vic" yadda yadda. L&O has been running for 16 years and I still couldn't tell you if Jack McCoy is married. I don't really understand why the powers that be decided to include this relationship crap in SVU, but apparently the majority must eat it up since the show has been going strong ever since. Most of the younger crowd I know that watches SVU says regular L&O is "too boring" and is too focused on the courtroom and not enough on the characters' drama. Eh, no thanks!
__________________
Liesje is offline  
Old 11-28-2006, 03:28 PM   #89
Blue Crack Supplier
 
IWasBored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 36,505
Local Time: 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal
I may start watching again.

saw a rerun tonight (I only ever see reruns it seems like)...the one where Elliott goes to Prague to catch child rapist/pornographers or something. And they've got some sicko in a basement and Elliott's completely beating the guy to a pulp because "we're not in america anymore!" Anger management issues there.

did you catch the little pop-up windows in the corner of your screen? stabler's anger issues = usa's theme that night. they had three re-runs, the prague one being the last, where he was supposed to lose it at some point. "tonight...stabler can't control his anger--and that's why we love him." i saw that commercial way too many times, i tell you.


the anger issues are one of the reasons i like the character.
__________________
IWasBored is online now  
Old 11-28-2006, 03:59 PM   #90
Blue Crack Supplier
 
IWasBored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 36,505
Local Time: 10:06 PM
dr. huang. i think. i'm too lazy to google.

Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje

IWB, I think "regular" Law & Order is becoming a lot less mainstream. I don't know many people who loved L&O who watch the new ones from the past few seasons. Hell, I don't even make a point of it, now that Jerry Orbach is gone. I'm sure they've taken a HUGE hit and that's a major reason why they've gone to such lengths to promote SVU and CI. The only place to get decent Law & Order now is TBS. No one I know that likes SVU watches the real deal; some don't even know it exists! I remember L&O:Trial By Jury and LOVED that. That was really the only spinoff to even come close to the regular L&O, and it only lasted what, like one season? It's crazy how the whole thing evolves. It was all born of Homicide: Life on the Streets. I don't think we even owned a TV when that was running!

I still love the original series' the best because it's all about the cases at hand, there's not these cheesy attempts at character development. You don't really know anything about any of the characters because it doesn't matter. Right from the beginning, SVU was different in this respect. The pilot episode opened up the whole thing about Olivia and her mom, and the "don't pick the vic" yadda yadda. L&O has been running for 16 years and I still couldn't tell you if Jack McCoy is married. I don't really understand why the powers that be decided to include this relationship crap in SVU, but apparently the majority must eat it up since the show has been going strong ever since. Most of the younger crowd I know that watches SVU says regular L&O is "too boring" and is too focused on the courtroom and not enough on the characters' drama. Eh, no thanks!

you said it yourself, svu is a spin-off. it's not supposed to mirror the original series because it's supposed to be something different. also, as you said, on day one they introduced a lot more personal character histories that the original didn't have. they're supposed to be different shows, or that's what the producers and people on the dvd special features claim. sometimes they're not the most trustworthy sources on those behind the scenes things because they spend a lot of time tooting their own horns ("our show was the first to do...blah blah" and so on). but according to mouth of the actual horses, the point of svu from the beginning was to be more concerned with the characters, to do something different with a spin-off, rather than use the exact same forumla. CI is also a completely different animal (side note: i porbably said i hated criminal intent somewhere in some previous posts, but i've changed my opinion). if you were speaking in regard to the CSIs, i might be more inclined to agree with you.

also, like you said, regular law and order has been on for freaking forever. therefore they must have some mainstream audience still, or at this point it's like the tenured professor who has long lost the plot, but the university (nbc in this case) keeps him around out of habit/respect/whatever. it's not necessarily mainstream vs. non-mainstream, it's apples and oranges, with the cast changes in the original one just being one more factor. the powers that be just targeted a different audience (like you said, a younger crowd, although i'm speaking in hypotheticals since everyone i know away from the internet watches less TV than i do, and i don't always know the ages of the posters i see online). doesn't mean that they have to blow things completely out of proportion and make svu a complete soap opera just because they have some character development. what i don't get is how you're so pro-benson/stabler, and in the same breath denounce the show's quality for the same reason. in my opinion, the svu episodes that i've seen are of a higher caliber because they balance the character drama with the storyline, and do so without creating messy, continuous sideplots that muddy up the actual crime plot. the only example i can think of is house, because that's pretty much the only other thing i watch on tv. sure, i love the show, but for november sweeps both this season and last, they brought in so much character crap that it completely overshadowed the medicine (which was faulty anyway).

so all you're saying is that you like regular law & order better because you don't give a rat's ass about character development. i had this conversation with my mom when i was in 6th grade. i thought michael crichton was the greatest author to ever write a book because i was far more interested in plot than any character drama, especially if said drama contained any romance. ten years later i don't agree anymore, and i like some character development in with the plotline. i like to know that i can tell one lawyer or one detective from another, which i can do in svu--whereas in the original they're all just dudes in suits. if you don't want to bother keeping up with benson's personal life, or care that cragen was an alcoholic (although, they mentioned that in one of the first regular law & order episodes, so it's not like they're completely void of character development), then that's your thing. in 6th grade i probably would have agreed with you. but that's just a matter of personal opinion, not a statement of quality TV programming.

someone on another site mentioned something about mccoy being married a couple times and having several flings with ADAs. i don't know, i've only seen a handful of regular l&o, on TNT rather than TBS, though. TBS seems more concerned with airing the king of queens and other vomit-inducing sitcom re-runs.

homicide: life on the streets, i remember seeing commercials for that when i was little. i know that was one of like 6 different shows where belzer played munch, but that's about it. netflix keeps reccomending it.
__________________

__________________
IWasBored is online now  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com