Lauren Bacall disses Tom Cruise - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-02-2005, 02:04 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
U2@NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Back in Buenos Aires
Posts: 4,281
Local Time: 12:12 AM
Lauren Bacall disses Tom Cruise

NEW YORK (AP) -- Lauren Bacall has a few unkind words to say about Tom Cruise.

In an interview in the August 8 issue of Time magazine, now on newsstands, the 80-year-old actress says, "When you talk about a great actor, you're not talking about Tom Cruise."

"His whole behavior is so shocking," she says. "It's inappropriate and vulgar and absolutely unacceptable to use your private life to sell anything commercially, but I think it's kind of a sickness."

Bacall was alluding to Cruise's displays of emotion and public courting of Katie Holmes in the weeks leading up to the release of his new film, "War of the Worlds." Cruise and Holmes became engaged in June after he proposed at the Eiffel Tower in Paris.

Last fall, Bacall made similar remarks about Cruise's ex-wife Nicole Kidman, her co-star in "Birth." While promoting the movie, Bacall became irritated when an interviewer described Kidman as "a legend."

"She's not a legend," Bacall said. "She can't be a legend at whatever age she is. ... You have to be older."

__________________

__________________
U2@NYC is offline  
Old 08-03-2005, 01:22 PM   #2
War Child
 
I'm Ready's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 987
Local Time: 12:12 AM
i thought this thread was gonna be about his religion
__________________

__________________
I'm Ready is offline  
Old 08-03-2005, 04:58 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2democrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: England by way of 'Murica.
Posts: 22,140
Local Time: 05:12 AM
tom cruise
__________________
U2democrat is offline  
Old 08-03-2005, 07:39 PM   #4
Jesus Online
 
Angela Harlem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: a glass castle
Posts: 30,163
Local Time: 04:12 PM
Lets count the pots and kettles in this one! I heard some news reader wanking on about this, yesterday or today, and they were laughing because Lauren Bacall hardly has the right when she has spent all her working life riding on her husand's success - somethng I'm not too sure I entirely agree with as her film cv is bloody long... Ironically, she mentions Nicole kidman, who I guess it was ok to support a few years ago in "Nicole Kidman: An American Cinematheque Tribute"

Nutty bloody celebs.
__________________
<a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/angelaharlem/thPaul_Roos28.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...aul_Roos28.jpg</a>
Angela Harlem is offline  
Old 08-03-2005, 08:59 PM   #5
Refugee
 
Lemonfix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Jammin' to "The 2"
Posts: 1,075
Local Time: 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Lets count the pots and kettles in this one! I heard some news reader wanking on about this, yesterday or today, and they were laughing because Lauren Bacall hardly has the right when she has spent all her working life riding on her husand's success - somethng I'm not too sure I entirely agree with as her film cv is bloody long... Ironically, she mentions Nicole kidman, who I guess it was ok to support a few years ago in "Nicole Kidman: An American Cinematheque Tribute"

Nutty bloody celebs.
Bacall? Nutty? Just because she was part of a famous hollywood couple means she can't critique TomKat for the very same reasons most of us here think its a weirdo psuedo-relationship? Even if Bacall did become famous because of her marriage to Bogey (who died when she was quite young, by the way), she stayed famous because she's a talented actress.

As for her thoughts on Kidman, there was some controversy a little while back because Bacall said that Kidman should not be considered a "Legend" of film. People turned this into a big hullaballoo, saying there was some kind of catfight going on between the two. In reality, Bacall was saying that Kidman shouldn't be considered a legend because she is still in her 30's and has a whole portion of her career ahead of her. And I quite agree.
__________________
Lemonfix is offline  
Old 08-03-2005, 10:37 PM   #6
Jesus Online
 
Angela Harlem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: a glass castle
Posts: 30,163
Local Time: 04:12 PM
You gleamed all that from me saying celebrities are nutty? Interesting. Anyway, incase anyone else has misunderstood what I was saying, there are some who hold her only as high as her husband's success. Something I said I dont agree with if you care to reread. I'd also never deny someone the right to attack Tom Cruise's relationship, as I happen to think he IS genuinely loopy, or 'nutty' if you will, so Lauren Bacall can knock herself out.

And in the last piece of funny on this, I agree with the 2 of you on Nicole Kidman, but for entirely different reasons as I seem to be one of the very few people around who think she cannot act for shit and therefore will never make legend status.
__________________
<a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/angelaharlem/thPaul_Roos28.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...aul_Roos28.jpg</a>
Angela Harlem is offline  
Old 08-04-2005, 07:58 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict
 
starsgoblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Looking for direction to perfection
Posts: 17,828
Local Time: 12:12 AM
Bacall doesn't take any crap. I like her.
__________________
starsgoblue is offline  
Old 08-04-2005, 08:02 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life
 
one4u2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bono's Sleeves
Posts: 12,540
Local Time: 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by starsgoblue
Bacall doesn't take any crap. I like her.
__________________
one4u2 is offline  
Old 08-04-2005, 08:40 PM   #9
War Child
 
xtal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: US
Posts: 834
Local Time: 09:12 PM
Most celebrities have a bit of mental instability. They have some tender and starving egos to feed. They all want to wake up with at least 20,000 people screaming their name.
__________________
xtal is offline  
Old 08-04-2005, 09:38 PM   #10
Refugee
 
Lemonfix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Jammin' to "The 2"
Posts: 1,075
Local Time: 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
You gleamed all that from me saying celebrities are nutty? Interesting. Anyway, incase anyone else has misunderstood what I was saying, there are some who hold her only as high as her husband's success. Something I said I dont agree with if you care to reread. I'd also never deny someone the right to attack Tom Cruise's relationship, as I happen to think he IS genuinely loopy, or 'nutty' if you will, so Lauren Bacall can knock herself out.

And in the last piece of funny on this, I agree with the 2 of you on Nicole Kidman, but for entirely different reasons as I seem to be one of the very few people around who think she cannot act for shit and therefore will never make legend status.
Sorry Angela, if I did misread some of your post and took it the wrong way, the "pot calling the kettel black" comment just made me assume that Bacall was being a hypocrite for criticizing TomKat. I was wrong and I apologize.
__________________
Lemonfix is offline  
Old 08-04-2005, 11:49 PM   #11
New Yorker
 
shaun vox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: LA.cal ROCKnRoll city!
Posts: 3,192
Local Time: 05:12 AM
Tom Cruise
__________________
shaun vox is offline  
Old 08-05-2005, 02:22 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict
 
Aardvark747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Obscured By Clouds...
Posts: 22,359
Local Time: 05:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by shaun vox
Tom Cruise
Spot on shaun...

I havent even got a clue who this Lauren Bacall is. I'm English tho, so I guess she's only known in the States....

...unlike TC
__________________
Aardvark747 is offline  
Old 08-05-2005, 02:29 AM   #13
Jesus Online
 
Angela Harlem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: a glass castle
Posts: 30,163
Local Time: 04:12 PM
How can you not know of (at least) Lauren Bacall? !!!!
She was married to Humphrey Bogart and starred on the silver screen for, I dunno, about 60 years?


It's cool too, Lemonfix! I wasn't clear enough probably
__________________
<a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/angelaharlem/thPaul_Roos28.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...aul_Roos28.jpg</a>
Angela Harlem is offline  
Old 08-05-2005, 02:32 AM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Popmartijn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 32,543
Local Time: 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Aardvark747
Spot on shaun...

I havent even got a clue who this Lauren Bacall is. I'm English tho, so I guess she's only known in the States....

...unlike TC


http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000002/bio
__________________
Popmartijn is offline  
Old 08-05-2005, 02:32 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict
 
Aardvark747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Obscured By Clouds...
Posts: 22,359
Local Time: 05:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
How can you not know of (at least) Lauren Bacall? !!!!
She was married to Humphrey Bogart and starred on the silver screen for, I dunno, about 60 years?
Who is Bogart?



















JUST KIDDING!
__________________

__________________
Aardvark747 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com