Last Movie You Viewed (Part 3) + Brief Reviews

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw - This movie would've been much better if they had hired better actors. Danny Glover and Cary Elwes were atrocious. There were a couple of plot holes that annoyed me, but it was alright. The climax made up for the rest of the movie. 5.5/10

Nate Dogg said:
United 93- I don't know what else to say about this except everybody should see this movie. There is most likely no other movie this intense, emotional, real...and important right now.

:up:

I recently saw A History of Violence (not to be confused with A History of Violins).

Amazing film, starring Viggo Mortensen from Lord of the Rings. (Interestingly, the soundtrack here is also by Howard Shore.)
The story is basically (Insert deep, baritone movie preview voice here) about a man who suddenly has to confront his past if he has any hope of having a future. I won't give away the plot, but I see this movie as a kind of commentary on the nature of us all, and the lengths we'll go to protect what's sacred. It's dark, bloody, and chillingly real. Viggo is great, but the kid who plays his son steals the show.

9.9999/10

Sin City

Perhaps it's due to the hype that surrounded it that I wasn't as amazed by this movie as I thought I would be. Which is not to say for the way in which it was filmed, because the color, or lack thereof, was amazing. It's more the acting I didn't quite care for. I don't know I loved Bruce Willis, I think it's more minor characters I didn't care for. All in all a fantastic movie, I just wish I had seen it when it first came out, instead of hearing so much about it.

8/10

The Da Vinci Code 10/10

This movie was absolutely fantastic, it definately lived up to the book and the hype which has reached a fever pitch. Tom Hanks was great, although not necessarily his best performance, but Ian McKellan was outstanding, better than in LOTR. Ron Howard did an amazing job directing as well and I just loved it overall. Amazing movie.

cjboog said:
The Da Vinci Code 10/10

This movie was absolutely fantastic, it definately lived up to the book and the hype which has reached a fever pitch. Tom Hanks was great, although not necessarily his best performance, but Ian McKellan was outstanding, better than in LOTR. Ron Howard did an amazing job directing as well and I just loved it overall. Amazing movie.

Good to hear.
Now I gotta finish the book...:reject:

bono_212 said:
Sin City

Perhaps it's due to the hype that surrounded it that I wasn't as amazed by this movie as I thought I would be. Which is not to say for the way in which it was filmed, because the color, or lack thereof, was amazing. It's more the acting I didn't quite care for. I don't know I loved Bruce Willis, I think it's more minor characters I didn't care for. All in all a fantastic movie, I just wish I had seen it when it first came out, instead of hearing so much about it.

8/10

I agree for the most part but I wouldn't rate it that high. I recently saw this movie a couple of weeks ago. The cinetomagraphy was impressive, but the plot did nothing for me at all. Some of the acting was pretty weak, Jessica Alba's performance as Nancy in particular. Meh.

------------------------------

Saw II - Big improvement from Saw. One aspect that both films share is the mediocre acting by the cast, but I'll look past that because the plot was somewhat decent. If you've seen Saw and were on the fence about seeing the sequel, I'd recommend checking it out. 6/10

Last edited:
JanuaryStar said:
Meet Joe Black
Did you really? What did you think of him?

tiny dancer said:
Analyze This
No, you didn't :tsk:

Da Vinci Code: 8/10
It's interesting how I've read the book (the illustrated version, mind you) and watched the movie and I still didn't know what was going on.

Anyway, good film. Tom Hank's hair didn't scare as much as it should have and the historical flashbacks were fun. Ron Howard :up: :blahblah: Read cjboog's review a few posts up.

I need to see this one again.

got_edge said:
Did you really? What did you think of him?

No, you didn't :tsk:

Da Vinci Code: 8/10
It's interesting how I've read the book (the illustrated version, mind you) and watched the movie and I still didn't know what was going on.

Anyway, good film. Tom Hank's hair didn't scare as much as it should have and the historical flashbacks were fun. Ron Howard :up: :blahblah: Read cjboog's review a few posts up.

I need to see this one again.

I read the book when it came out, and re-read it this past week in preparation for the movie, which I hope to see in the next few days. My daughter (almost 12) is reading it now {up to the part of 'so dark the con of man'}. Can you say if the movie is appropriate or scary or 'not' for a mature, almost 12 year old to see? I think she wants to finish the book first, but I can't wait that long :|

Lila64 said:

I read the book when it came out, and re-read it this past week in preparation for the movie, which I hope to see in the next few days. My daughter (almost 12) is reading it now {up to the part of 'so dark the con of man'}. Can you say if the movie is appropriate or scary or 'not' for a mature, almost 12 year old to see? I think she wants to finish the book first, but I can't wait that long :|
It should be fine. There were plenty of children that came with their parents at the theater. There wasn't a lot of bloodshed in the film. The scenes with Silas punishing himself are probably the more 'gruesome' bits of the movie and they weren't that bad.

So, Da Vinci Code: good for 12 year olds

And tell her to hurry up and finish the book!

National Treasure :up:
apart from the annoying performance from Nicolas Cage's sidekick, Riley, i liked the film.

The Ice Harvest - kind of an odd flick. A good performance by Billy Bob Thorton. But for me an average movie at best.

Spanglish

Great fun movie. Tea Leoni is great, as always......she is very good at physical humor. Paz Vega and Adam Sandler are great and Cloris Leachman as Tea's mother is hilarious!

As a romantic comedy, I give it :up: :up:

got_edge said:

Never heard of this movie but I'm interested in the 10.5/10 rating. Could you elaborate?

My apologies if am being presumptuous here. :reject:

Hombre is a movie (circa 1965) starring Paul Newman... I have no idea what it is about as I've never seen it.
10.5: Apocalypse is a mini-series (I think) that aired on NBC that was about an earthquake.

Da Vinci Code

5/10

Tom Hanks was so awful I was embarrassed for him. Lots of total cheese in the movie, but the book was really meh as well. Lovely shots of Paris, though.

Napoleon Dynamite, I put it on par with Donnie Darko - which for me is ~ 4/10

I watched Enemy at the Gates after that - I prefered it.

I just watched The Dangerous Life of Altar Boys, and I rate it 9/10

I thought the main characters (played by Emile Hirsch, Kieran Culkin, and Jena Malone) were really well developed, and the animated portions of the film are far-fetched but still true to the main character Francis's inner life. On the surface, it's a typical coming-of-age tale, but the screenwriters had the sense to go deeper with it. It examines how teenagers struggle to reconcile what they learn in Catholic school with what the struggles and changes going on in the rest of their lives. Each character carries secrets, and the truth, unlike what's taught in Catholic school, is far from something that frees them.

The only thing that kept this from being a 10/10 for me was that some of the school scenes seemed a bit superfluous after awhile, as they remain sort of static while the rest of the movie develops. Jodie Foster plays a strict nun and Vincent D'Onofrio a bumbling priest.

Very dark in places, very funny in others, overall very believable. All in all, a great movie. :up:

BonoIsMyMuse said:
I just watched The Dangerous Life of Altar Boys, and I rate it 9/10

I thought the main characters (played by Emile Hirsch, Kieran Culkin, and Jena Malone) were really well developed, and the animated portions of the film are far-fetched but still true to the main character Francis's inner life. On the surface, it's a typical coming-of-age tale, but the screenwriters had the sense to go deeper with it. It examines how teenagers struggle to reconcile what they learn in Catholic school with what the struggles and changes going on in the rest of their lives. Each character carries secrets, and the truth, unlike what's taught in Catholic school, is far from something that frees them.

The only thing that kept this from being a 10/10 for me was that some of the school scenes seemed a bit superfluous after awhile, as they remain sort of static while the rest of the movie develops. Jodie Foster plays a strict nun and Vincent D'Onofrio a bumbling priest.

Very dark in places, very funny in others, overall very believable. All in all, a great movie. :up:

I've wanted to watch this movie for a while. Thanks for reviewing it :sexywink:

Batman Returns

I haven't seen this movie in years, but I love how dark it is compared to the first one, although there are a few parts that make me cringe. Tim Burton like always is a genius, the set design is amazing, and stellar performances from Michael Keaton, Michelle Pfieffer, and Danny DeVito (but not Christopher Walken).

The last of the great Batman movies until 2005

9/10.

I watched Capote last weekend. It was fantastic! Easily one of the best movies I've seen in a couple of years. Even if you don't know anything about Truman Capote or his book "In Cold Blood" you'll find something to enjoy about it, because it plays out like a movie and not a biography. Phillip Seymour Hoffman definitely earned the Oscar he won for his portrayl of Capote. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom