LASIK --- Have you had it? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2008, 01:23 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:08 AM
LASIK --- Have you had it?

After years of "waiting for them to work out the kinks," I'm dying to have this done. I'm off for a consultation on Friday & hope to have it done over my vacation time in early March. To be able to wake up in the morning and see, to be able to swim and not worry about losing contacts.....

Has anyone here had it? What's it like? What are your thoughts?

Old 01-19-2008, 01:56 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:08 AM
I guess I will do it in some years, as well. But at the moment it's way too expensive.

I've recently read that a survey asking about 1,000 patients woh had it done ten years ago showed that it didn't have any long-term effects so far. But on the other hand there is no guarantee that your vision will be 100% after the OP and there is a chance that you will still have to live with -0.5 diopter, or your vision will decrease to -0.5 diopter over time. Of course, that's much better than -5, but still if I paid so much money for the OP I would prefer to have certainty that I will get rid of glasses/contacts entirely.

Nevertheless, I guess should I one day have the money I will go for it, and I wish you all the best for your operation.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:24 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:08 AM
a friend of mine had it done last year. she's at a conference this weekend though. i'll ask her for ya when she gets back.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:39 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Thanks, Mia!

VV---yeah, the cost was super-prohibitive for me before, but now the insurance that I currently have will pay for $1,050 per eye--so that helps out a ton. I feel like it'd be silly of me not to do it while I have that help. As for the chance of still having some deficit, yep--I'm -5.00 and -5.25, so even ending up with -0.5 and needing glasses for driving but not for every day life sounds pretty good to me!
Old 01-19-2008, 05:48 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:08 AM
I've worn glasses for over 30 years; I've always considered Lasik but you only get one pair of eyes, if you know what I mean...

Even Tiger Woods' first Lasik procedure didn't go well and he's had to have a second...

Old 01-19-2008, 06:17 PM   #6
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 02:08 AM
I know many people who have had it and most of them are glad they did, but haven't had perfect vision since the procedure as anticipated. Most had some kind of problem resulting from the procedure. I wouldn't do it. I'm with Mr BAW, we only get one set of eyes.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:19 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

It's surgery. I mean, they are cutting a hole in your cornea and shooting a laser into the hole

Expectations should be the reasonable, measured expectations you have for any major surgery. And I do consider it major surgery, as it is your eyes, mannnn.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:27 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

My mom had it done 8 years ago (she was 49 then), and her vision is still virtually perfect. She does use glasses on the rare occasion, but it's only for reading in certain circumstances. She's had nothing but positive things to say about her experience.

I'm considering getting it done as well, but like several of you have said, it freaks me out a little bit. However, my prescription is still too unstable to allow this to happen any time soon. I do discuss it with my eye doctor every time I visit, so we'll see what happens. That reminds me, I need to book an appointment. I am definitely in need of a checkup.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:32 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

I'm actually planning on getting it done eventually as well... I'm near blind. I wonder what is the recommended age to get it done?
Old 01-19-2008, 10:14 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:08 AM
When opthamalogists themselves stop wearing contacts or glasses, I will get corrective surgery. But not before then - that flap thing freaks me out.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:20 PM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. BAW
I've worn glasses for over 30 years; I've always considered Lasik but you only get one pair of eyes, if you know what I mean...

Even Tiger Woods' first Lasik procedure didn't go well and he's had to have a second...

I've worn glassed/contacts/glasses for 20+ years now (wow!). Like Mr.BAW said, you only get one pair of eyes. I would love to see without my glasses, but I'd not take the risk
Old 01-19-2008, 10:38 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

I've been wearing glasses (or contacts at various times over the years) for just under 40 years now and for many years I really wanted corrective surgery but I've pretty much decided against it now. Although my vision is very poor, it is correctable to 20/20 or better and my eyes are healthy. I don't want to do anything to fuck that up. I can see where someone might be willing to take the risk if they do things where glasses or contacts are problematic (various sports etc), but for me the potential benefit isn't worth the risk.

And after having bad vision so long it's actually comforting to take off my glasses and have the world recede. Kinda takes me to my own dreamy world.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:12 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:08 AM
My grandmother had it done when she was 77 which was back in 2001. Said it was one of the best things she has ever done. As far as I know she hasn't encountered any problems with it.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:48 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Utoo
Thanks, Mia!

VV---yeah, the cost was super-prohibitive for me before, but now the insurance that I currently have will pay for $1,050 per eye--so that helps out a ton. I feel like it'd be silly of me not to do it while I have that help. As for the chance of still having some deficit, yep--I'm -5.00 and -5.25, so even ending up with -0.5 and needing glasses for driving but not for every day life sounds pretty good to me!
Wow, that's a great deal. I've almost the same with -5 and -4.5, and especially to be able to wake up and having perfect sight and such is very tempting.
As far as I know our insurances only pay when your eyes are about double as bad. And it's normally 2,000€ per eye. Many are even going to Turkey as doctors there are as well prepared to do it because they've studied here in Germany and got the same equipment as German doctors, but for only about 300€ per eyes.
If I had the money to not care I probably would go for it, even if I were left with -0.5, but as long as that is not the case I will continue to wear contacts and glasses.

Of course, as with any major surgery there is risk involved and you only got one pair of eyes, and I can't think of much that's worse than having your eyes screwed, but nevertheless I wouldn't be entirely detered from doing the step.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:12 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonosBaby12
My grandmother had it done when she was 77 which was back in 2001. Said it was one of the best things she has ever done. As far as I know she hasn't encountered any problems with it.
but they don;t know the long term effects

say 20 or 30 years from now