LASIK --- Have you had it? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2008, 05:23 PM   #16
The Fly

Local Time: 11:48 AM
All you scaredy-cats..

I had it done 7 years ago and it was easily the best money I ever spent. My prescription before the op was also exactly the same as yours, Utoo, even with the slight difference between eyes (normal).

Although my eyesight now is not as perfectly sharp as it was with glasses, it's easily clear enough that I haven't had to even consider glasses although they do say that as per normal your eyes will change over time. To be able to live for many years without depending on that handicap is fantastic though.

As for the op itself, don't listen to the naysayers. If even a tiny percentage of all LASIK procedures had gone horribly wrong, you'd certainly be hearing about it. They do the analysis work beforehand to decide whether or not your type of vision impairment is suitable, and what the expected vision will be afterwards.

The work itself (let's not use terms like 'slicing', 'cornea', 'flaps', etc ) takes all of 15 minutes for both eyes, maybe less these days, then you put on the dust covers for a few days and you're away. No swimming or sport for a few months though.

With your insurance cover you should get a consultation at the very least. And when you're on that table remember to keep perfectly still.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:26 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ntalwar
When opthamalogists themselves stop wearing contacts or glasses, I will get corrective surgery. But not before then - that flap thing freaks me out.

A few people have had it in my family and almost everyone needed another surgery within a couple of years or went back to wearing glasses/contacts. These are aunts, parents, etc, so their eyes should have "settled" by now.

I understand not wanting to deal with glasses and contacts anymore, but personally, I'm not willing to go through with something like that until I'm certain it will work and I won't have to do it again.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:43 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:48 AM
Well, you will never have a 100% certainty that you get it done and all will be perfect. But if this is the case with your whole family there is either something in your family or the doctors did something wrong.
Normally, the cases of LASIK where it went wrong are about one percent, and those where it went terribly wrong are even about 0.1 percent or sometihing like that, and that's about as safe as it will get.

I've often heard that around 25 it's relatively safe to actually consider it getting done, as then you aren't growing anymore and your eyes are usually settled by then. But if you've stopped growing earlier and your prescription hasn't changed for two years or so it is an option either.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:46 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:48 AM
I thought about it until I saw how they did it.

I'm perfectly fine with glasses.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:51 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega
Normally, the cases of LASIK where it went wrong are about one percent, and those where it went terribly wrong are even about 0.1 percent or sometihing like that, and that's about as safe as it will get.
Some common side effects (from the literature) can include dry eyes for months or more and reduced low light vision.