Laser Hair Removal, has anyone done this yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a really lovely Italian girlfriend who has spent quite a bit of money on laser hair removal and she looks great! She said that it cost a lot and they did loads of sessions but it does work but not forever..... she gets less and less sessions and then only a few a year.....

My best friend had it done on her armpits and she said it hurt (I don't know if more so than waxing cause she's never waxed to compare it to) and it worked really well.

I don't do much with my eyebrows, other than to try to prevent a unibrow (ie, I don't pluck the outer edges). I get super blonde hairs that you can see from the side, and also the brown ones. The problem is, I'm scared to wax because they ripped my skin last time and I had scabs for weeks - and you have to do it every few weeks. When I tweeze at home, I always get infected hairs afterward.

I've tried plucking after a shower (supposed to help open the pores for the hair to come out easier), after just washing my face, after scrubbing the area and my tweezers with alcohol to make sure it's clean, waiting several hours before putting on makeup, pulling the hairs up, out, and/or down - doesn't matter. I always get an infected follicle which looks like a huge red zit and feels awful.

I doubt unibrows will ever be back in style, and even if it did, I wouldn't go for that. :no Laser treatments seem the most convenient but $$$$$ :sigh:

Last edited:
a cousin of mine had this done on her armpits, she said it hurt.

i would like to have my arm hair removed and also my brows done as well. i can live with the pain. :macdevil:

I had it done on my upper lip about 5 years ago....it helped somewhat, but I would say it made the hair lighter instead of completely removing it.

It stung too! :mad:

I knew a girl in 9th grade who had electrolysis done on her eyebrows and they ALL fell out, so she had to draw them on everyday. :eek:

I had it done on my upper lip. I was tired of waxing. If you get some numbing cream it doesn't hurt as bad. If you go to a dermatologist they'll be able to give you a prescription for it. Even with the cream it still feels like someone is snapping rubbing bands on you. I only got it done once and it did the trick but I know other people I've talked to have done other places on their body and it worked for a while and then it's grown back only after one treatment. The dermatologist I went to suggested 2-3 treatments for me but I didn't think I needed it. I know a lot of spa's do it now to, and for a lot less :mad: I spent a pretty penny on it a few years ago and now I see it being advertised for a lot less. :shrug: Oh well....it's worth it. No more waxing or plucking.

Don't you have to avoid the sun for a long time afterwards? I thought I heard that somewhere...your skin can get all yucky and blotchy or something like that..

I've had it done and I honestly didn't feel pain, however they were very surprised and I generally have a high pain threshold. It feels a little bit like needle pricks and the area might look a bit red afterwards, but you can take a Benadryl and it goes away. I never used numbing cream.

It is expensive, but it really, really works. You have to understand that it is designed for thick, dark hair. Blonde hairs and peach fuzz - you'll never get rid of that. But if you've got dark or coarse hair, then you're a perfect candidate. If you want to get it done, I would recommend not going to a laser hair clinic, but go to a medical clinic where they have medical personnel (doctors and nurses) performing laser, as well as cosmetic surgery procedures. They are better able to give you all around care and the more frou frou the place is, the better their lasers are. Some of the lasers, like ALEX are very crude and your face will be red and swollen for a day or two after. Not to mention, you will not be allowed out in the sun if you are using them. Other (considerably more expensive) lasers will leave you with no pain, no redness and no discomfort. Remember, you get what you pay for.

Mrs.Clayton said:
Don't you have to avoid the sun for a long time afterwards? I thought I heard that somewhere...your skin can get all yucky and blotchy or something like that..

It depends on the machine.

Beware of places that advertise for cheap. Their machines are cheap and obsolete.

I've been thinking of getting this done too. The woman who does my brows told me the one thing to be concerned about is your skin type and the equipment being used. If there is any question about your skin not being suitable for this type of treatment you should have a small test done on some hairy part of you that is not normally on view to everyone. Also, ask for references with before and after photos.

Back
Top Bottom