Laser Eye Surgery!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheBrazilianFly

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Hi there. My eyesight is shit and it's getting shittier, I hate using glasses so I never do, it makes me feel incredibly uncomfortable and as ironic as it may seem I'm always bumping on things when I?m with it (can't get used with the frames)! :banghead: So I've been thinking about having laser eye surgery for some time now. I have only heard good things about it, everybody who has ever done it don't seem to have any complains about it. But to tell you the truth it scares the shit out of me, I'm really afraid I get a doctor on a bad day and something wrong happens! :yikes: You don?t mess around with your eyesight but then again I hate not being able to see people's faces when they are slightly far from me. :scream: Has anyone from here ever done it? How does it happen? Are you conscious while it?s happening? How long does it? Does it hurt afterwards? I need to know, please help.

believe it or not, one of my eyes has astigmatism, the other is farsighted, but not really enough to need correction. (that eye just has a non-prescription lens.) i've had to wear glasses since i was three, and an eye patch from birth until i was 6 or 7. i remember as a kid having to go swimming with glasses on or my eyes would drift (lazy eye, basically).

i'd love to get this done too as i do get eye strain headaches because of all this, and staring at computers all day doesn't help. i'm just afraid that after all the progress i've made over the past 21 years will be shot to hell. i know in that other thread some peeps have had it done a couple months ago, but has anyone here had it done longer ago? like a couple years ago or something?

i know someone who did it. she's pretty happy with it, but she said the first few days are awful because apparently they do one eye first and then the other so your vision becomes pretty wonky in the middle period between the two.

TheBrazilianFly said:

Thanks for the link. Why don't you save some money to do the surgery?

haha, that's a funny one! B/c I have tuition bills, phone bills, rent bills, loan bills, utility bills, food, school books, etc, etc.... Trust me, if someone randomly gave me $2000, it would be the FIRST thing I'd spend it on!

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

haha, that's a funny one! B/c I have tuition bills, phone bills, rent bills, loan bills, utility bills, food, school books, etc, etc.... Trust me, if someone randomly gave me $2000, it would be the FIRST thing I'd spend it on!

Still you could try and save a few changes and keep it somewhere safe. I don't like asking anyone for money but in this situation I would because it's something that bothers you.

yertle-the-turtle said:
i know someone who did it. she's pretty happy with it, but she said the first few days are awful because apparently they do one eye first and then the other so your vision becomes pretty wonky in the middle period between the two.

:yikes:

That must suck. But I think maybe in one week after the surgery things get better.

TheBrazilianFly said:

Still you could try and save a few changes and keep it somewhere safe. I don't like asking anyone for money but in this situation I would because it's something that bothers you.

Yeah, it's bothered me since I was 8 and first realized I couldn't read the board. It was torture b/c I had to copy the spelling lists of the people next to me without the teachers thinking I was cheating. I remember the day in 6th grade I got my first glasses and I'll never forget how amazing it was to be able to see actual leaves on trees and individual blades of grass. I didn't know humans were able to see things so distinctly. Now, without contacts/glasses, I can't see clearly past one foot. I can't see creases/knuckles/veins on my hands if I hold them at arms lenth. I wear contacts, but they are annoying b/c it's so cold and dry here for basically 8 months and they make my eyes runny and burn all day. If you can get the surgery and have your parents or someone else pay, DO IT!!!! :drool:

Someday, when I'm not tens of thousands of dollars in debt from schooling, I'll save up for the surgery. I'm hoping in the future it will become cheaper, more precise, and possibly partially covered by insurance. My eyes get worse and worse so if it ever did become covered by insurance, I'm sure I'd be a prime candidate!

I have really rotten eyesight (astigmatism and myopia), and have had glasses since I was about five. I first got contacts (hard!) when I was eight to try to stabilize my eye and slow the deterioration of my eyesight. I don't really remember if it worked or not -- I do remember a nasty and very painful eye infection when I was 11 (ouch!). I finally got a pair of toric soft contacts and they were GREAT... except when I tried to read anything close (like a book, or menu...), as the doctor was never able to get them to fit quite right.

Now, because of the work I do (I'm a stained glass artisan), I can't wear contacts (the glass chips and the use of various chemicals makes it undesirable), so I'm stuck with glasses. Because my eyesight is so bad (I literally have to put a page one inch in front of my nose to be able to read without my glasses and if I do it for more than a few minutes I get a monster headache from the eye strain) and I have the two problems, my perscription is a bit tricky to make and must be absolutely perfect. Ever put on someone else's glasses? Especially one's that are a stronger perscription than your's? Makes you want to puke, right? That's what my glasses feel like if they are even a bit off kilter. For the last several times I've had my perscription filled I've had to send the glasses back to be done again. And there's none of that "lenses in about an hour" for me, mine always have to be sent out.

So I've seriously thought of the lasik surgery more than once. It would be great to finally be able to see! But then I read more about it and I find that it isn't uncommon to have to have more than one surgery on a eye before the vision is corrected. So that makes me nervous. Also, I know that some people do experience serious, and permanent side effects, which can result in vision which can not be corrected even with the best of glasses/contacts. Then, I also realize that I have another potential problem -- because of the shape of my eye I have an increased risk of having a retina detach.

I realize that many people have had very successful lasik eye surgeries and are extremely happy with their vision, but for me the potential problems outweigh the potential benefits. I don't mean to dissuade anyone from this surgery, but make sure you know and understand the risks before making the decision.

Last edited:
Yes, they do do one eye at a time. As some one who processes insurance claims/legal writs, I would HIGHLY recommend you have them done on different days. Not saying anything more.............

I've been thinking of getting Lasiks, but I need to research it form these links! My vision has gotten worse since being in college and I don't know if it will improve once I'm done with all the reading and writing. :huh:

I have glasses for faraway stuff, like chalkboards and driving and I was only needing them here and there, but now I can't even see stuff clearly that's a few feet away--like the pictures stuck on my closet door that's directly across from my bed! The most embarressing thing is not being able to recognize people from a distance. I even get the "Wow, so-and-so says you completely ignore them, what's up, did you fight?" So now I think I will need to start wearing glasses full time which would be such a hassle and I know I'm too klutzy to manage contacts.

Maybe my glasses wrecked my vision, I tend to just leave them on between classes and maybe I got too dependant on them? But I've only had them a year, but in that year, my vision has noticebly declined...I'm really worried that if I get the surgery it won't last long.

Lasik is :censored: awesome! I had severe myopia, astigmatism and a thin cornea.... so the doctor said before hand that he may not be able to get me perfect and that I still might have to have glasses or contacts afterwards to have 'perfect' vision, but that I would always be a person with very good vision afterwards. Well since I had severe f***ed vision anyway, I decided that pretty good vision would be great and I went ahead and had both eyes done and the next morning less than 24 hours later I had PERFECT vision :bow: :happy:. Even the Lasik doctor and my regular eye doctor were amazed!!! So far it has lasted, there is a chance that it will decrease a bit and I may need reading glasses some years in the future, but they said that is normal for anyone aging (i'm 39).

I am lucky that I live in a city that has one of the best Eye surgery centers in the country and all the doctors there are very very experienced. So do your research and go to the best place.

I would recommend it to anyone that has to rely on glasses or contacts to get by.

Had it done two years ago and love it.. it was worth every penny. Your eyes will sting for a few hours after the surgery, but it's not terrible. Some places (the more expensive ones, I'm sure) give you pain medication. They recommended a nap afterward, and when I woke up, the pain was gone and two days later, my vision had cleared. For a while opening your eyes is like opening a present over and over.

As stated in the thread Lies quoted, I had the surgery earlier this year. Mild discomfort the day of and clear vision the day after!

Expensive, but good investment.

najeena said:
For a while opening your eyes is like opening a present over and over.

Haha! Yes, that's how it was when I first got my glasses! Three years of awful near-sightedness and my parents could finally afford my glasses. I'm hoping it will be the same feeling when I can afford the surgery.

I've been thinking of LASIK for a while myself. A friend of mine got it, and she's been very happy with it.

I'm severely nearsighted (-11 on both sides) and astigmatic. It would be nice to be able to see the world without glasses, and have peripheral vision again.

A friend of mine told me that she considered getting this procedure done, until she heard that if you've had this surgery, and someone hits you in the right spot on your eye, the eye will burst or explode, or something like that. This, she said, is because the surgery thins the eyes, and makes them easier to damage. She emphasised that they have to hit you in the EXACT right spot, which she thought might happen while playing sport. I really don't know if this is true; I hope it's not.

mystery girl said:
A friend of mine told me that she considered getting this procedure done, until she heard that if you've had this surgery, and someone hits you in the right spot on your eye, the eye will burst or explode, or something like that. This, she said, is because the surgery thins the eyes, and makes them easier to damage. She emphasised that they have to hit you in the EXACT right spot, which she thought might happen while playing sport. I really don't know if this is true; I hope it's not.

I also don't know if it's true but I would think not..... :huh:

mystery girl said:

Yeah, but you can get a detatched retna from sports/other hard hits even without the surgery.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom