Larry Mullen Jr. VS Phil Collins!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PopMartian33107 said:
I wouldn't be surprised if I heard next that Nick Mason was a better drummer than Phil, simply because he's in a classic band. :|

Genisis were a classic band. I don't think anyones saying Phils drumming is crap. Just his songs are crap. There is a world of difference.

Besides, if you like his songs thats all that matters.

I predict you will receive more positive posts in this thread tomorrow. Many people in the USA post on this site during work/school hours for some reason I'm yet to determine. Most of the people wafting around here on the weekend are Euros and a few ferals from the Southern Hemisphere.

beli said:

Genisis were a classic band. I don't think anyones saying Phils drumming is crap. Just his songs are crap. There is a world of difference.

Besides, if you like his songs thats all that matters.

I predict you will receive more positive posts in this thread tomorrow. Many people in the USA post on this site during work/school hours for some reason I'm yet to determine. Most of the people wafting around here on the weekend are Euros and a few ferals from the Southern Hemisphere.

That's true, beli. And I'd like to apologize if I've sounded like a pissed Phil Phan-Boy in this thread, because blind fanboys suck.

I agree that Phil is more of an extraordinary drummer than he is a singer, absolutely. And yes, I freely admit that I DO like his songs! :D Odd, I know, but what are you gonna do...? ;)

Take care, everyone! :)

Drummers, here we go............

1. Keith Moon
2.Neil Peart
3.Ginger Baker
4.John Bonham
5.Larry Mullen Jr.:wink:
6.Danny Carey
7.Daniel Ward ( He's my little bro and yes he's actually this good, if you ever see him one day you'll understand being a Boxer + Drummer= the most aggressive drumming ever)
8.Nick Mason
9.Ringo Starr ( Not have as good technically as everonee else on the list but so he is RINGO)
10.Mike Portnoy ( Dream Theater are all amazing players but it isn't my thing although they're good lads)

Last edited:
Hola amigos :wave:

Sorry but I strongly dissagree with that list mate:ohmy:. Almost every 70´s drummer is better than Larry. Larry WAS a great drummer during early 80´s but his style became flat by the time U2 released Rattle & Hum :sad:.

Phil Collins is ( and was as well ) one of the most extraordinary drummers I´ve ever listen to. He´s left handed, and I don´t know why left handed drummers have an special rhythm that right handed ones can´t do:drool:.

Just listen to Genesis records as "Foxtrox", "Nursery Crime" or "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" :drool:. Also he can play drums and sing at the same time, something really hard ( I´m a musician too and I know it´s harder to play drums and sing than play guitar or piano and sing :huh: ).

As for the other musicians on the list:

Keith Moon: awesome, no words

Neil Peart: same as Keith Moon

Ginger Baker: quite overrated I think

John Bonham: THE DRUMMER. Every rock drummer since early 70´s has been trying to copy his style :heart:

Danny Carey: I don´t know who is he

Nick Mason: quite overrated as well. His drumming on Pink Floyd´s albums are not complicated at all

Ringo Starr: actually he´s not that bad. The problem with Ringo is that he´s seen as the clown of the Beatles, so nobody listen to his drumming on Beatles albums. But he´s not an excellent drummer neither. His best drumming is found on Abbey Road.

Mike Portnoy: I don´t know who is he

Missing drummers:

1- Steward Copeland ( The Police ): best ever 80´s drummer, case closed.:drool: Just listen to Message In A Bottle...

2- Ian Paice ( Deep Purple ): Listen to Made In Japan album...

3- Carl Palmer ( Emerson, Lake And Palmer ): Simply excellent

4- Jimmy Chamberlin ( Smashing Pumpkins ): Best 90´s drummer

Peace :wave:

Last edited:
Diemen said:
Phil's the better drummer, Larry's the better musician, as evidenced by his lack of horribly cheesy pop songs in his catalogue.

Well, Larry's not trying hard enough, is he?

There's a top 10 hit in Kazakhstan, and duet with Sir Elton going begging!

:rockon:

Diemen said:
Phil's the better drummer, Larry's the better musician, as evidenced by his lack of horribly cheesy pop songs in his catalogue.

Again, Phil isn't a horribly cheesy artist! At least, for a while he wasn't. Remember In the Air Tonight? And I Don't Care Anymore? Those were really angry, unexpected radio hits from a good musician.

Then there's his incredible back catalogue with Genesis. Duke, Abacab, and Mama were three of the all-around best albums of the 80's, in my opinion. Turn It On Again was a great little dance number (the cheeze factor was at zero on this tune), and Mama still creeps many people out today, with Phil's haunting laugh in the chorus..."Ha-ha-owwwww!".

But, to each his own.

Last edited:
PopMartian33107 said:

Again, Phil isn't a horribly cheesy artist! At least, for a while he wasn't.

That's right, he wasn't at one time. But since, oh....about 10 years ago he's turned out nothing but cheesy Disney or Disney-esque pop songs.

Diemen said:

That's right, he wasn't at one time. But since, oh....about 10 years ago he's turned out nothing but cheesy Disney or Disney-esque pop songs.

Your being to kind. Phil Collins sucks. Big time. And it's about time someone said it. The male Celine Dion.

Back
Top Bottom