Laptops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
I know this is ironic since I make my living fixing computers and other info/tech equipment, but since I do it for an academic institution, I have no experience buying or selling. Right now I have a desktop system that I'm selling to my boyfriend's parents b/c I want a laptop. I need to know where the best and/or cheapest place to get a laptop will be. I've been looking into eBay or overstock.com. Anyone have any experience purchasing from either? Basically, I want a newer model for Windows OS (preferably Dell or HP) with Windows XP, 40GB hard drive or bigger, 256MB RAM or more, and a better processor (currently have AMD Athalon 1.67 GHz). Is it safe to buy online or from eBay? Or should I just go to a computer store and pay more?

:scratch:

I wouldn't trust ebay for a computer - buying online from a computer manufacturer would be safer. Check CNET or other online guide for reviews.

I prefer putting my hands on a laptop before buying it. If you know the model you want, test it out at a local store. Laptops can feel very different brand to brand. I'd always go with a Sony or Toshiba, though.

Go with Dell. Get the 3 or 4 year warranty.
I have 3 Dell laptops...the most recent being the 300m. They have less expensive models that are great buys.
Just trashed my 18 month old piece of shit Gateway because the motherboard melted. Will never make that mistake again.

:|

dell :barf:

my dell laptop has broken in evvvvvery which way, you name it, it has broken. and i bought one of the top of the line models too, if i had to do it again i wouldnt order from dell, but maybe i was just unlucky

Last edited:
What do people think of Hewlett-Packard laptops? I've got my eye on an HP Pavilion ze5615 (Celeron 2.8 GHz, 512MB RAM, 40GB HD, 802.11b/g Wi-Fi, XP Home, etc.) but every time I go in to the store to take a look at it the salesman always suggests I forget about it and go for the Toshiba next to it that's $150 more. They keep saying that Toshiba's are infinitely more reliable than any other laptop around, but it's about $100 out of my price range (when you add tax, accessories, etc. on).

I still would really like the HP one though. But is it a good deal?

Two weeks ago, my Father's Day/Birthday gift was an HP-Compaq Presario 2500...

Office Depot had it at $1,149. BUT it also had an instant $100 rebate + $300 mail-in rebate (which we've already received)...a very nice unit for $750.

Its our first laptop and I'm trying to get used to typing on a flat keyboard...presently, we connected the Wireless hub to it and I use it downstairs watching the Fakers and weekend golf...

It was an early B-day gift because its not until 6/23...
Happy B-Day to me from my mistress!!! :lol:

DaveC said:
What do people think of Hewlett-Packard laptops?

Honestly, I use them b/c I like the way they look :reject: I have an HP desktop and have never had any problems with it. The reason I prefer my HP desktop is that instead of restore discs, it came with a restore drive so I don't have to worry about loosing important software. I feel like as long as you're a responsible user (ie, running Windows Update, using an anti-virus, scanning for spyware), there's no reason why ANY brand of computer shouldn't work for basic web browsing, word processing, and music as long as it has the appropriate system specs.

Back
Top Bottom