Languages

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How many languages can you speak?

• Just the one

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Two

Votes: 20 40.8%
  • Three

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • Four or more!

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters
I only speak one language right now, but I'm learning either Japanese, Chinese or Korean next school year...I just have to decide which to learn!

well i really know only one, english, but i guess you could kinda say i know two....i can't really speak spanish very well, but i did take spanish class in high school, so i know enough that i can usually figure out what written words say and i can sometimes figure out what conversations are bout

kinda the same with german, but i know only know a few words and phrases in german

I couldn't vote because I'm sort of bi-tri lingual, yet...well. I can speak enough French to get along, and I can understand Italian enough to get along (although I won't speak it reallY0, so I'm only partially tri-lingual. Add to it my limited understanding of Slovenian and well. This is the mess that is me.

I can't speak it, but I can read and understand Spanish quite well.

I can also count to 10 and say "good morning Mr. Teacher and good morning Miss Carlson" in German :lol:

I speak some Spanish. My Spanish is good enough, for example, to understand that a guy is hitting on me *extremely* suggestively, although I couldn't understand *exactly* what he was saying (all I could positively make out was "come back to my house after work").

I can understand Italian and some spanish.

I can speak a little Italian and a little spanish.

English, of course, and spoke Spanish when I was 4 and took it in high school, but only know bits & pieces now. Oh, and enough French to get in trouble with the hotel guy in Paris when we yelled back and forth about the toilet in our room not working (he insisted that it was OK, since the toilet in the NEXT room worked...and I insisted that <ahem> if the paper wasn't going to go down when you flushed...nothing ELSE was gonna go down!)

Nice. real nice.

I understand written and spoken German. I suppose my ability to speak it fluently is coming along.

I'm involuntarily picking up Mandarin and Hokkien...though mainly Hokkien (the crude man's Chinese ;) )

Clearly, my English reeks of ineptitude, as i've only been immersed in it for a little over 22 years.

So i'm not sure where that leaves me.

hmm, dutch of course
I read and speak english and german (though - because I use it far more often - it's easier for me to communicate in english than in german)

I do know some french, but not a lot
+ I have to read it, because otherwise it just goes too fast for me

Only the one. But at school, when its pretty much compulsory to learn one, we did French. And while I dont think I'd ever need it if I learned it properly, I found it relatively easy. But they say its easier to learn when you're young, so I doubt I'll ever try and learn another now.

I learnt French at School, and was pretty good at it, but as I haven't used it in 9 years it's more than a little rusty now. I did a year of Spanish too, but managed to learn nothing useful at all. I also studied Latin, which I suppose is classed as a language! So I can translate Latin to a certain degree, but it's not really a language you learn to speak!:der:

Salome said:
hmm, dutch of course
I read and speak english and german (though - because I use it far more often - it's easier for me to communicate in english than in german)

I do know some french, but not a lot
+ I have to read it, because otherwise it just goes too fast for me

what he said. except: my english is way better than my german. i do understand german though.

I said two, because I speak two completely fluently - English and Croatian.

I lived in Austria for a period of time and my grandfather is German, so I can understand a bit.

My French is good enough to get by in tourist places, and I can actually read it quite well.

Back
Top Bottom