Lancemc presents The Interference Fantasy Filmmaker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No spoken words said:
YLB, your movie is disappointing. I expected better.

Though, good call on letting Khan do the editing. He's been genetically engineered for such projects.

I forgot to ask earlier, what didn't you like about it?

Did it need more Ricardo Montalban? :wink:

Last edited:
Sound like a damn fine Wes Anderson movie. Supporting cast is a bit stuffed, but who gives a shit, it would probably be fantastic.

Here's my second idea:

What Kind of Movie
Western - Thriller - Drama : The Old West : Late 19th Century
Approximate Running Time: 160 Minutes

Directed by
Michael Mann (Heat, The Insider)

Written by
Jonathan Nolan (Memento, The Prestige)

Leading Cast
Guy Pearce (Memento, The Proposition)
Robert Forster (Jackie Brown, Mullholland Drive)
Michelle Yeoh (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon)

Supporting Cast
Josh Brolin (Hollow Man, Planet Terror)
Mark Ruffalo (Eternal Sunshine, Zodiac)
Joan Allen (Pleasantville, The Bourne Supremecy)
Tom Cruise (Magnolia, Collateral)

Original Music by
John Murphy (City By The Sea, 28 Days Later)

Cinematography by
John Mathieson (Gladiator, Matchstick Men)

Film Editing by
Paul Rubell (The Insider, Collateral)

Art Direction by
Tracey Baryski (Open Range, Brokeback Mountain)

Sound Design by
Elliot Koretz (Apollo 13, Collateral, Miami Vice)

I based it off of the cast of The Royal Tenenbaums, which was about 10 deep. It can work. :wink:

Good calls on Josh Brolin and Robert Forster.

dazzlingamy said:
I like it Lance minus Tom Cruise. :sick:

LOVE Michelle Yeoh in a western setting!
And you stole my music director! John Murphy FTW.

:wink:

Glad you like. Michelle Yoeh was my favorite casting pick in that whole film.

Tom Cruise can be a damn amazing actor in the right circumstances. Anyway, I had him in mind as an extremely small role in this film, something like businessman with 5-10 minutes of screen time.

Last edited:
Lancemc said:

I understand what you're saying, but I think you're just wrong. I mean, there is never any Micheal Corleone-level of growth as far as characters go, but I can't really see how your argument applies to PT films. The cast in Boogie Nights went through plenty of change. They all started out as a naive, optimistic family swimming in the excess of the 70's. Then egos grow, ambititons swell, drugs hit the scene hard, and the strain becomes too much. We're treated to my favorite scene in the film where Macy's character kills his wife and himself, the moment we enter the 80's. The shit hits the fan. Our characters fail to adapt to the new climate, and hit their lifetime lows. PT captures the despair and choas of this time rather effectively I find. And ultimately they all realize the only way to survive is to stick to their original family values. Full circle no? I fail to see how he "never does anything" with these characters. Same goes for all his films.

THAT SAID, however. I do feel that Anderson doesn't put the main focus on his characters. First and foremost, he uses his visual craft (which is second to none these days) to tell the story. Whether it's the smutt film satire and visual etching of the two decades in Boogie Nights or the more abstract use of sound and color in Punch-Drunk Love, Anderson is always using the full capabilities as film as a medium to tell his story. Which is what I tend to look for more in films than pure narritive or character-driven writing, which should be of any surprise to anyone who is familiar with my preference in films. :)

Well this is something we'll just agree to disagree on. The story implied change but at no time do you feel the change. I suppose that is more on the actors and script than the director. I found all the characters to be static with only the plot implying that the characters are changing. The characters move through each struggle almost unemotionally. They are cold throughout all his films. As a director he has make the audience feel like the characters are different emotionally. I don't that in any of his films. The characters are like wallpaper. I guess we are seeing different things. :shrug:

Reading your second paragraph I had to ask, 'why are you not a David Lynch fan again?' If you want abstract use of visuals and sound, David Lynch is your guy. I enjoy some of the visual things Andersen does but in a sense that hurts the film by helping the characters become more like wallpaper.

Yeah, I just can't see what you see in PT's characters. I've been racking my brain about this since you brought it up, and I can't not see/feel the changes these characters go through. The only case I can see is about half the characters in Magnolia (his weakest film in my opinion), but that's because that film is more like a snapshot in these people lifes as they are just falling over the edge of despair. There isn't room for change, we're just watching their last crash. So I guess that's the end that argument, you're right. We just see different things, which is still really cool.

As for Lynch. I'm pretty sure I'm never going to be satisfied until I "get it". I've tried watching 4 of his films now, and just couldn't finish any of them. But I'm going to keep trying. There is just too much love in his fans for the man, that I can't let myself miss out. Maybe I should try Twin Peaks next?

What Kind of Movie
Film Noir - Thriller - Drama : Los Angeles : Late 1940s
Approximate Running Time: 104 Minutes

Directed by
Roman Polanski (Chinatown, Rosemary’s Baby)

Written by
David Ayer (Dark Blue, Harsh Times)
James Ellroy (LA Confidential, The Black Dahlia) – Story By

Leading Cast
Tim Robbins (Mystic River, The Shawshank Redemption)
Naomi Watts (Mulholland Drive, 21 Grams)

Supporting Cast
Ed Harris (A History of Violence, The Truman Show)
Mickey Rourke (Angel Heart, Sin City)
Steve Buscemi (Fargo, Reservoir Dogs)
Kevin Spacey (Glengarry Glen Ross, The Usual Suspects)

Original Music by
John Ottman (The Usual Suspects, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang)

Cinematography by
Gordon Willis (The Godfather Trilogy, Manhatten)

If I can’t use him as I’m unsure as to whether he’s retired or not, then I’ll use:

Vilmos Zsigmond (The Black Dahlia, The Long Goodbye)

Film Editing by
Angus Wall (Zodiac, Panic Room)

Art Direction by
Philip Messina (The Good German, The Sixth Sense)

Sound Design by
Walter Murch (The Conversation, Apocalypse Now)

Lancemc said:
As for Lynch. I'm pretty sure I'm never going to be satisfied until I "get it". I've tried watching 4 of his films now, and just couldn't finish any of them. But I'm going to keep trying. There is just too much love in his fans for the man, that I can't let myself miss out. Maybe I should try Twin Peaks next?

Which ones? The Elephant Man and The Straight Story are his more conventional films to begin with if you really do want to get into his work. I haven't seen Twin Peaks yet either, but that will change when I get another rental account.

Also, will Tom Cruise get shot in the mouth to do something about that shit eating grin he always has?

EDIT - and thanks for the props guys.

I've seen The Elephant Man, Wild At Heart, Blue Velvet and Mullholland Drive (Though, like I said, never the whole thing aside from The Elephant Man which I saw a while ago).

And yes, if I had my way in the film, Tom Cruise's charcter would get shot. Possibly in the mouth.

And I don't know what it is about him, I really don't. Everything about him and surrounding him should make me hate him. But I just love his performances for some reason. Maybe it's because he's completely out of his mind. But I absolutely adore him in Magnolia and Collateral.

I know what you mean, especially with those two films. I think recently my admiration for his performances depends whether or not he also has a hand in producing the film. Basically if he doesn't have producer control and doesn't have a director who will pamper to him, then I think he delivers a stronger performance. Otherwise he just seems to have one eye on the box office grosses and is practically bland.

Case in point - after three Mission Impossible films that he produced, what do we actually know about Ethan Hunt? But check out that interview scene in Magnolia...

Excellent point. Though is certainly also has a lot to do with the script, I know exactly what you mean.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Oh, that's cool. Are you gonna make a list soon, too?

I still want to make a list in your thread.

I am not sure if I'm qualified to make a list in this thread. I mean, I love movies to death, and I certainly know which actors and directors I like, but I am probably not expert enough to drill much deeper. I guess it's easy to say that I loved the cinematography for Children of Men, and choose the person responsible, but would that person be good for a film idea I had in my head? I'm not sure. Hell, it's just a fun list and all, but, just not sure I'd be able to make one that made sense or was any good.

No spoken words said:

I still want to make a list in your thread.

I am not sure if I'm qualified to make a list in this thread. I mean, I love movies to death, and I certainly know which actors and directors I like, but I am probably not expert enough to drill much deeper. I guess it's easy to say that I loved the cinematography for Children of Men, and choose the person responsible, but would that person be good for a film idea I had in my head? I'm not sure. Hell, it's just a fun list and all, but, just not sure I'd be able to make one that made sense or was any good.

Thank you, sir.

Yeah, that and the 3 submission rule is what holds me back from submitting more lists of potentially ballbustingly awesome movies. I'm getting my picks for those lesser bits based on movies they've done and how it would fit (The Wes Anderson one was kind of easy).

Just try it.

That's really what I wanted to accomlish with this thing. Getting people to do a little research into the technical positions that makes their favorite films truly great. IMDB was made for this stuff. Liked the cinematography in COM? Look up who did it, then see what else they've done. If you see another movie you were impressed with on that list, then check that out and maybe you'll discover who did the sound or art design for that one. Then you can see what those people have done.

It's surprisingly addictive and very enlightening, and really gives you an appreciation for all the people that work on these damn things we talk about so much.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Thank you, sir.

Yeah, that and the 3 submission rule is what holds me back from submitting more lists of potentially ballbustingly awesome movies. I'm getting my picks for those lesser bits based on movies they've done and how it would fit (The Wes Anderson one was kind of easy).

I'm thinking I might say To Hell with the limit rule given the sparse responce this thread has gotten so far. I'll probably also forget about any kind of competition for now, and just encourage people to make as many films as they can and keep the discussions going.

So go ahead, submit all you want. :)

Fantastic. I have 3 coming up I'm absolutely sold on cast/director/writer-wise, just need to fill in the rest.

What Kind of Movie:
Drama – Thriller - Political: London, England: present day
Approx. running time: 150 minutes

Directed By:
Steven Spielberg (Jaws, Schindler's List)

Written By:
Frank Darabont (The Green Mile, The Shawshank Redemption)

Leading Cast:
Ryan Gosling (Half Nelson, The Notebook)
Kate Winslet (Eternal Sunshine, Finding Neverland)
Ralph Fiennes (Quiz Show, Schindler's List)

Supporting Cast:
Gary Oldman (Batman Begins, The Professional)
Alan Rickman (Die Hard, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves)
Meryl Streep (Kramer vs. Kramer, Sophie's Choice)
Dustin Hoffman (The Graduate, Stranger Than Fiction)

Original Music By:
John Williams (Jaws, Close Encounters of the Third Kind)

Cinematography By:
Emmanuel Lubezki (Children of Men, Reality Bites)

Film Editing By:
Neil Travis (Patriot Games, Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country)

Art Direction By:
Tony Fanning (Munich, Ocean’s Thirteen)

Sound Design By:
Ben Burtt (Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars)

Last edited:
I want to see that movie now. :drool:

Only things I'm not 100% drooling over (I used Lubezki myself for my gangster flick :up: ) are Gosling as the lead (not sure he can do this type of film yet) and Williams :slant:

I think this would be the movie where Gosling finally steps up into that DiCaprio "Every Movie I Do from Now on Will Be for Oscar Contention" category. He was the only thing that kept me watching The Notebook, moreso than Rachel McHotSauce.

I think soon, I'm going to go in deep and try to put together my dream team for the Dark Tower 7-film adaptation. I've been thinking about it for over 2 years now, and this would be as good a place as any to put something down in writing. :hmm:

I'm not sure if I want to do use a different director and crew for every film or keep it all the same though....:hmm:

Back
Top Bottom