Ladies' figure skating! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2002, 12:48 PM   #1
Refugee

Location: living in a rock and roll fantasy- and what's wrong with that?
Local Time: 11:31 AM
Ladies' figure skating!

This is my favorite event of the Olympics. It's always fun and exciting. Who are you for? Here are some pics, especially for the guys who have to put up with our hot pics in PLEBA!

Michelle Kwan- USA

Sasha Cohen- USA

Sarah Hughes- USA

(those last 2 were underage, guys, only teenage boys under 18 can look!)

Silvia Fontana- Italy

Laetitia Hubert- France

Irina Slutskaya- Russia- Yes guys that's SLUTSkaya!

Victoria Volchkova- Russia

I have 2 questions-

1. Who do you think will win?

2. Guys, who is hotter?

Old 02-19-2002, 12:51 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I'm rooting for Kwan. Of course, she should have had the gold in Nagano...but that's another discussion.

I think we'll see Kwan, Slutskaya, and either Cohen or Hughes in the top three. I haven't seen Hubert skate since like 92, and I remember her being a terribly boring skater, but perhaps she's improved a lot.

Of course, anything can happen in the short program. One fall can put the favorites out of medal contention...

Old 02-19-2002, 12:59 PM   #3
Refugee

Location: living in a rock and roll fantasy- and what's wrong with that?
I agree, I think it will be Kwan and one other US girl and Slutskaya. I have never liked Slutskaya though. I think I remember Hubert from '92, wasn't she the one in the orange dress who skating a great short program then fell like 7 times in the long and slid along the ice crying?

[This message has been edited by Desire4Bono (edited 02-19-2002).]
Old 02-19-2002, 01:07 PM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 04:31 PM
I think Kwan, Slutskaya, and Hughes are all excellent. I don't really have a big preference. I've come to the conclusion that pairs and men are my favourite disciplines. I do hope that the women cheer me up, I'm generally depressed after the ice dance, for a few reasons.

------------------
Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars
Carved into stone on the face of earth
The moon is up and over One Tree Hill
We see the sun go down in your eyes
Old 02-19-2002, 01:17 PM   #5
War Child

Local Time: 09:31 AM
Nice pix, Desire4Bono!

Being American, I think it would be really cool for a sweep....but most of us are rooting for Michelle, no matter what happens with the silver and bronze!

[This message has been edited by jezebel (edited 02-19-2002).]
Old 02-19-2002, 05:56 PM   #6
*Stormy*

I've thought all along, even before the judging controversy which now makes it worse, that Michelle would be the best but would not be given the points because the judges would pick Irina Slutzkaya the Russian. They seem to alternate every other year eastern/western bloc, not fair, but I'm worried.

1976- Dorothy Hamill, USA
1980- Annet Poetch, GDR(that's the old East Communist Germany- and USA's Linda Fratienne was better)
1984&88- Katerina Witt-GDR yes, she was the best
1992- Kristi Yamiguchi- USA
1994- Oksana Baiul, Ukraine(former Soviet Republic, though she two footed two landings and Nancy Kerrigan skated flawlessly)
1998- Tara Lipinski, USA
2002?

Oh, looking at that it seems they owe us one, the Commies took 2 in a row in the 80's! All I can do is wish our girls the best and hope honesty will prevail-sigh

------------------
"I was born a MacPhisto"

Old 02-19-2002, 06:07 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

one note...Katarina Witt the best in 88? Hardly. If you'll recall, those were the days of the compulsory figures, where the judges could jack up the marks of their darling and put her out of reach for the short and long programs. If Witt had competed under today's rules (1/3 short, 2/3 long program) I highly doubt she would come away with the gold. Oh wait...she did compete in Lillehammer and came away...actually pretty low, I don't remember much except for her looking quite silly out there.
Old 02-19-2002, 07:19 PM   #8
*Stormy*

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
one note...Katarina Witt the best in 88? Hardly. If you'll recall, those were the days of the compulsory figures, where the judges could jack up the marks of their darling and put her out of reach for the short and long programs. If Witt had competed under today's rules (1/3 short, 2/3 long program) I highly doubt she would come away with the gold. Oh wait...she did compete in Lillehammer and came away...actually pretty low, I don't remember much except for her looking quite silly out there.
You're right! I almost forgot about the school figures, and how boring and conservative her Carmen program was in '88! School figures really hurt the chances of a lot of good skaters, like Midori Ito. By the time they were abolished, she was a bit too old (22!) and her ankles were damaged from years of jumping and she had a hard time with her trademark triple axle. She and Tonya Harding are the only girls to ever land one in competition.

Old 02-19-2002, 08:26 PM   #9
*Stormy*

Sasha Cohen is now in first and Sara Hughes second, with all the other favorites still to skate. Hughes was given 5.3's to 5.5's but the RUSSIAN judge gave her a 5.1!!!
Here we go again? What will happen with Michelle, will she be treated faily? The drama continues.

Old 02-19-2002, 09:24 PM   #10
Blue Crack Distributor

Beautiful & brilliant performance Michelle!!
Old 02-19-2002, 09:46 PM   #11
*Stormy*

Quote:
Originally posted by tiny dancer:
Beautiful & brilliant performance Michelle!!
YAY! GO for it on Thursday! She's in first place! They gave her low techincal scores but her artistic ones made up for it. Good luck!

Old 02-20-2002, 04:23 AM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 05:31 PM
Well La-di-da!

I think Kwan looks hottest but im curious about the name Slutskaya!

------------------
"PLEBA Mansion Bootler"

"Lemons, the chicks- they love the lemon"
-Bono in Rotterdam-

"Proud member of the U2 gender"
Old 02-20-2002, 06:31 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I know I should back Irina Slutskaya cause I'm Russian too (and she's also my Mum's namesake ), but I just like Michelle Kwan so much. I hope she wins.

And I think it should really be spelled Slootskaya, not Slutskaya, to be close to the original Russian pronounciation...
Old 02-20-2002, 01:34 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Desire4Bono:
I agree, I think it will be Kwan and one other US girl and Slutskaya. I have never liked Slutskaya though.
Me, either. She's good technically, but I never really feel like she's putting herself emotionally into the performance. She does everything so quickly (the judges like speed) but I think it takes away from the effect of say, a beautiful lay-back spin, if you're just speeding through it. Still, the judges like her. I think she'll come in second, Kwan will win and Sasha Cohen will get the bronze, although Sarah Hughes has a good shot at that if she skates well in the free skate.

My two cents

Old 02-20-2002, 01:56 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Actually, you can feel free to disagree with me here, but I didn't really feel like ANY of the performances last night were particularly inspired. Going-through-the-motions and all very proper, but even Kwan seemed cautious. Then again, that's not too surprising for a short program, because one mess-up can end your chances for a medal. Hopefully, the long program will be a bit more passionate all around.