lack of great female guitarists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ozzys grrl

The Fly
do they exist?
ive never heard one female with talent on guitar,is this just me and my lack of musical knowledge?
does this link to crowleys view of females their supposed lack of will/determination/courage etc. there are so many men viewed as greats,do all the females take the mic or catwalk.
where are they?

:lol: I've never heard one of those you mentioned. :lol: *thinks that was wrong to admit* *sneaks out*

J O N I M I T C H E L L --we're talking very sophisticated guitar work here

Melissa Etheridge
Nancy Wilson (Heart)
Emily Saliers (Indigo Girls)
Shawn Colvin (got that finger-pickin' thing down)

Last edited:
Ani DiFranco

some say Courtney Love--I don't really listen to her to know

Joni Mitchell is the ONLY woman on Guitar Magazine's list of 100 best guitarists of all time. :( She's #74 (The Edge is #48).

ozzys grrl said:

i have all of HOLE's albums and believe me courtney cant play

I didn't think so...

but give some of these others a listen

granted, there really isn't a female hendrix, but there are indeed some really good, creative female guitarists. my former guitar teacher (who teaches some pretty well-known session guitarists in nyc--i was his only beginner student) got really frustrated trying to teach me joni mitchell songs because he could never figure out what she was doing.

Bonnie Raitt came to mind straight away.....and then it was hmmmmmmmmm who is? So there is definitley an imbalance.
Rock music has very much been a traditionally male domain.

Just on a personal level and observation I made and wanted to talk about...this gives me the opportunity, thanks.
At the college the ratio would be 18 males, 2 females in the Contemporary Music Diploma class....and those guys can be so mean. They are recording their CD at the moment, each student has to write a song, record it and make a film clip. One of the girls burts into tears during the recording session and the guys just gloated on that bit of information. I was thinking at the time, I bet even Bono has shed a tear or two, because his idea just wouldn't come out right. So even in 2002 AD, sisters have to do it for themselves, there are those who enjoy their struggle and failures. RATBASTARDS!!!!

Wait till Son#2 wakes up.I think he knows every guitarist there ever was.

I know...I saw Joan Armatrading in 2000...she was ripping on a 12 string guitar. I'll think of others...I'll get back to you.

For the most part, guitar necks are the same width (i.e. nobody makes guitars for players with smaller hands). This probably has something to do with it.

[color=royal blue]I loveth Sheryl Crow but I don't know any woman who's KNOWN for geetar playing, like Clapton or Beck or anything.....

*RUNS OFF TO PRACTICE*
[/color]

No, there is a whole range of 'ladies guitars' out there.

I don't think Michelle Branch is a 'great' guitarist; that is grasping at straws...

foray

Certainly there are female guitarists, but most mentionned are known more as singer-songwriters rather than "great" guitarists.

I have very little time for most of the so-called great guitarists any (excluding Edge, and some others...) but for the most part its musical masturbation.

I'm more of a drummer than a guitarist but I can play guitar (if anyones interested I can put a link up to some of my sounds - let me know). I guess women don't find sitting for hours on end going over the same riff again and again that interesting.

If it sounds good - I play it - nuff said! lol

Jo

My dad played in a locale C&W band when he was young...and we always had guitar music on...so I sort of picked it up. There are some Country Music women who are pretty fair guitarists...it might surprise you to know Dolly Parton is one of them! :D She hardly ever plays in a performance though...she does most of her guitar work in the studio....and she had a guitar specially made for her (no comments please! :D

I can play a little...but unfortunately I was diagnosed with a condition that severely limits my playing...:( I would play for hours if I could.

dream wanderer

Back
Top Bottom