Labels prepare to boycott MTV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meegannie

Blue Crack Addict
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,3604,1177270,00.html

Patrick Barrett
Thursday March 25, 2004
The Guardian

Record companies representing some of the biggest rock and dance artists including The White Stripes and Ozzy Osbourne are threatening to boycott MTV in a row over fees for independent record labels.
MTV risks losing the loyalty of fans across Europe if it refuses to pay a fair amount to screen music videos, according to the record labels.

The labels said yesterday they were prepared to prevent MTV from screening videos of their artists indefinitely if the broadcaster refused to return to the negotiating table.

The deal between the companies and MTV runs out on March 31. Unless the dispute over royalties is resolved before then, music by artists such as The Strokes, Mis-Teeq and Ozzy Osbourne will disappear from MTV channels from next week.

Record label bosses accused MTV of abusing its position and claimed their star musicians wanted them to fight on.

Martin Mills, chairman of Beggars Group, the firm which represents The White Stripes, said he would not be signing the new deal offered by MTV. "They find themselves in the historic position of being the first broadcaster which can broadcast some but not all of the world's great musical output," he said.

Catherine Bell, Chrysalis Music Group's general manager of business affairs, said: "MTV would not exist without music and yet it doesn't recognise the very people that create it."

Flying FuManchu said:
Interesting article but I'm unclear on what the trouble is... Is it about money being piad to play videos or is it about exposire. Does it only relate to MTV Europe or MTV in general...

It is about money. MTV Europe wants to cut in half the royalties it pays to record companies. At the same time the station wants to do more with music (offering content through the Internet and mobile phones).

I like MTV (some of the times) unlike some naysayers...

:yes:

Marty (has programmed three music channels in a row on his TV)

CampbellMSU said:
mtv sucks, they DON'T play music videos often, that's their problem. but then again, you have scott stapp as your icon...

Watch MTV2. And if MTV sucks then why do you watch it? If your answer is "You don't watch MTV," then how do you know they haven't changed formats and play tons of music videos like before?

You're mistaken CampbellMSU... My icon is a special Bono or maybe you're really obsessed with Scott Stapp...

However here are some pics to delight your eyes...

Stapp saying MTV rocks...

stapp-creed-people-042203.jpg

Don't mess with the Stapp...

stapp5.jpg

Last edited:
MTV sucks and MTV2 isn't far behind. MTV2 is now playing non music shows. For such a cutting edge channel a voice of a generation it has sold out, it hasn't been the same since the early 90's...

I miss Martha Quinn
120 minutes
the "I want my MTV" commercials
the great promos
MTV news before it started reporting on Brittney's love life
the concerts
and most of all the videos.

MTV can fuck off and die for all I care. I can't say I remember when MTV was good, but I do remember that MTV2 used to be a whole lot better. It was literally all music videos, no idiotic shows at all. Slowly those shows are creeping in. God, I remember discovering so many artists through their "Handpicked" videos.

Just put out MTV3, and let them show the videos.

Oh well, they hardly play any music anymore anyway so they can just stick to their stupid shows, biased news, TRL andl lame specials. I am so homesick for the MTV of the 80's I could cry :sad:

I hate Mtv but why should they have to pay anything to record companies to play videos, Mtv gives those videos exposure if anything i thought record companies payed Mtv to play videos like they do with radio which is a whole 'nuther topic that makes me angry. :mad:

I agree with the EMonkey

no matter how much MTV sucks
most of the popular bands have got MTV to thank for it

certainly The White Stripes (otherwise Jon Spencer Blues Explosion and The Oblivians would have been 2 times as big a decade ago) and especially Ozzy Osbourne, whom we wouldn't even know he was alive if it wasn't for freakin MTV

EvolutionMonkey said:
I hate Mtv but why should they have to pay anything to record companies to play videos, Mtv gives those videos exposure if anything i thought record companies payed Mtv to play videos like they do with radio which is a whole 'nuther topic that makes me angry. :mad:

IIRC, radio also has to pay to play music (perfomance rights etc.)

MTV is great b/c of Jackass, Beavis & Butthead, Daria, the Jackass spin offs, the Real World/ Road Rules junk, MTV Music Video Awards, MTV Movie Awards, Spider-Man, Punked, and other shows.... MTV means more than Music Television now... it truly is a culture channel. People complain about music videos but seriously... most music videos suck and music is fractured into som many genres and styles, MTV itself could never please everyone or even half...

I accept it. If MTV didn't do what they have done over the years and let extraneous programming take over, MTV would be dead...

It is a shame if MTV2 is also going the way of MTV but what can one do...

VH1 is fun and there is Viewers Choice or whatever that popped up....

Let me add that I don't whole-heartedly think MTV is perfect or 100% great but it has always been an entertaining channel for me. Of course I would like to see more music videos but I have the ability to channel switch so its no big deal

Last edited:
The only thing I watch on MTV is MTV2 Headbanger's Ball, suprisingly they play decent videos from bands that I like, but beside that I don't watch anything else on that cursed network :|

Back
Top Bottom