Kyzyl Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
major_panic said:
I'm pretty sure he drives them, too. Ever heard those tram drivers? "NEK THOP EBURN METRA STAY ON" (next stop melbourne central station)

Try being a tourist on the route 55.

"MEH ZUH" (Next stop, Melbourne Zoo.)

So many times, I've seen tourists looking around in confusion, wondering what the hell was just said.

Or, of course, the classic "murgle blurgle gluh delay blurgh until flurkle glunh".

bono_man2002 said:

:lol:

Seriously they have the digital "ding ding" on the tram. can't they have some girl saying "Melbourne Zoo Next Stop"

But you see, that would be a sensible thing to do. And we can't have that for tram drivers now, can we?

Tram driving in Melbourne = a good way to "familiarise yourself with the city" and "learn some English".

bono_man2002 said:
Thats completely fine! Thanks for trying at least anyways.

I reckon a better pic might surface in the near future.
Hopefully one without so much detail in the background... I tried to paint over it but there's still a lot going on.

I phail at photoshop.

phillyfan26 said:
When I used to take the bus, I had to get up around 10 of 6 to catch it at 10 of 7. Now that I drive, I leave around 7:10-7:15.

Which means, I'm out, I'll see everyone later. Have a good one.

We will!

have a great day! :wave:

bono_man2002 said:

Seriously they have the digital "ding ding" on the tram. can't they have some girl saying "Melbourne Zoo Next Stop"

At some point in the latter half of last year (when the Z3s had their rolling destination displays replaced with LED ones - no, I know none of you know what I mean), announcements like that appeared on the route 55. I caught two such trams with them. Then ... it has mysteriously disappeared. :(

Axver said:
So many times, I've seen tourists looking around in confusion, wondering what the hell was just said.

Or, of course, the classic "murgle blurgle gluh delay blurgh until flurkle glunh".

Tourists nothing... anyone who hasn't memorised the tram route will be looking around in confusion (ie, me)....

Axver said:

Try being a tourist on the route 55.

"MEH ZUH" (Next stop, Melbourne Zoo.)

I wonder about that all the time though. Don't Yarra Trams at least have some sort of requirement for English-speaking ability, or do they just give jobs to the first people to step off the boat?

Axver said:

At some point in the latter half of last year (when the Z3s had their rolling destination displays replaced with LED ones - no, I know none of you know what I mean), announcements like that appeared on the route 55. I caught two such trams with them. Then ... it has mysteriously disappeared. :(

Maybe they were sued by the connex girl?

Axver said:
You think we're all idiots, don't you ... :p

I'm guessing you mean the hand-cranked doodad that showed where the tram was going.... buses have/had those too.
(Okay, so I don't know exactly which trams are the Z3s...)

major_panic said:
Cool group!

We had a habit of scaring younger students by accident through our weirdness. We had study periods together in the library as well, and I clearly remember one day in grade 11 when three of us were sitting at one table, ostensibly doing work but telling stories while some grade eight girls were actually doing work.

My friend told me this story about how his brother first got his licence. He bought his first car, and in driving it home, crashed into an ICE CREAM TRUCK. The way he told it, it was so fucking funny. I've rarely laughed harder at anything. I couldn't breathe. I fell off my seat. My other friend was crying with laughter.

The grade eight girls got up and left.

bono_man2002 said:

Maybe they were sued by the connex girl?

Yeah, but clearly it hasn't gone to much use. Only the trains that used to be owned by MTrain have clearly audible service announcements. Otherwise, it's "Nek Tay Es Mon" all the time - when the train drivers can actually be bothered putting an announcement on.

And I failed to reply to this part.

major_panic said:
Also, I hate it how that happens. You leave two minutes late, and suddenly all these middle-aged people what can't drive sending their kids to school appear out of nowhere.

It's even worse around the private schools - the cars, egos and people get larger and driving ability goes to hell on an express elevator.

YES.

ABSOLUTELY YES.

As you know, I went to a private school. It had three carparks. My locker from grade 9 to 12 was always near one in particular, so I became very acquianted with driver stupidity. It had limited parking spaces, and could only be reached by a narrow driveway. So what did people do? Well, they'd park in the driveway for a start, reducing it to one lane. Or in the carpark itself, once it was full, they'd just stop. They wouldn't even pretend to pull over to the side. They'd just stop. So you'd have huge backlogs of cars. It was ridiculous. My mother would always come slightly late to pick me up (we finished at 3:15; that's when she left home), because even if she came earlier, we didn't get home any earlier!

Axver said:

We had a habit of scaring younger students by accident through our weirdness. We had study periods together in the library as well, and I clearly remember one day in grade 11 when three of us were sitting at one table, ostensibly doing work but telling stories while some grade eight girls were actually doing work.

My friend told me this story about how his brother first got his licence. He bought his first car, and in driving it home, crashed into an ICE CREAM TRUCK. The way he told it, it was so fucking funny. I've rarely laughed harder at anything. I couldn't breathe. I fell off my seat. My other friend was crying with laughter.

The grade eight girls got up and left.

YEAR 8 GIRLS = OWNED!

Axver said:

YES.

ABSOLUTELY YES.

As you know, I went to a private school. It had three carparks. My locker from grade 9 to 12 was always near one in particular, so I became very acquianted with driver stupidity. It had limited parking spaces, and could only be reached by a narrow driveway. So what did people do? Well, they'd park in the driveway for a start, reducing it to one lane. Or in the carpark itself, once it was full, they'd just stop. They wouldn't even pretend to pull over to the side. They'd just stop. So you'd have huge backlogs of cars. It was ridiculous. My mother would always come slightly late to pick me up (we finished at 3:15; that's when she left home), because even if she came earlier, we didn't get home any earlier!

Private schools :tsk:

Believe me, it's worse in Asia though.

Alisaura said:

You think we're all idiots, don't you ... :p

I'm guessing you mean the hand-cranked doodad that showed where the tram was going.... buses have/had those too.
(Okay, so I don't know exactly which trams are the Z3s...)

I think you're a bunch of non-tram nerds!

I figured you'd get the scrolling/LED thing. I miss the scrolling displays - it was cool to watch them being changed. I remember one night travelling up St Kilda Road behind a Z3 that took about a minute to scroll through from its original destination to "NOT IN SERVICE".

But I didn't expect anyone to know the Z3. They're my favourite trams, besides the classic W class ones. :drool:

s640x480

(My own picture too. Taken in January in Royal Park.)

Axver said:

I think you're a bunch of non-tram nerds!

Unfortunately the only thing I find fascinating about trams is usually the people that take them, and the overhead electricity supply thing.

But yeah, the Z3's cool. Pity it has stairs though - that's what wrecks it for me.

major_panic said:
I wonder about that all the time though. Don't Yarra Trams at least have some sort of requirement for English-speaking ability, or do they just give jobs to the first people to step off the boat?

I frankly suspect the latter. I remember one time, the driver really started to creep me out. He was talking very loudly to himself in Spanish - which my (now very much former) friend with me could understand, and she informed me that not only was he speaking in Spanish, but he was very busy swearing at all the motorists too!

major_panic said:
But yeah, the Z3's cool. Pity it has stairs though - that's what wrecks it for me.

Really? I hate low floor trams. Mostly the look, because they could very easily be designed to look like classic trams, but also because of the low floor. I want my classic high floor, damnit!

Alisaura said:

Tourists nothing... anyone who hasn't memorised the tram route will be looking around in confusion (ie, me)....

I'm REALLY hopeless on tram routes I don't know, because I can't read the signs to see the stop number. So I just have to guess I'm in the right place by studying maps beforehand. I haven't gotten lost yet!

I saw what looked like a REALLY old tram the other day... can't remember where though... it was kinda the same shape as those city circle or restaurant trams, but with the old school green and gold paint and all... what's the oldest model of tram still running, Ax?

On a completely unrelated note, I need to do some sparring. Got a few new moves I want to try out on some unsuspecting fellow martial artists...

Axver said:

Really? I hate low floor trams. Mostly the look, because they could very easily be designed to look like classic trams, but also because of the low floor. I want my classic high floor, damnit!

You've clearly never tried to carry a seven foot long spear on board a tram with stairs before then :tsk:

Alisaura said:
I saw what looked like a REALLY old tram the other day... can't remember where though... it was kinda the same shape as those city circle or restaurant trams, but with the old school green and gold paint and all... what's the oldest model of tram still running, Ax?

Those are the W series, right? They used to run on Chapel Street where I went to school for some unfathomable reason. Now I see them mostly doing the loop.

Alisaura said:

Those would be the W class. The really, truly old Ws are all gone unfortunately, I think all of the ones in service now are W5s or later (which means none date earlier than the late 1940s), except for a couple of W2 trams still on restaurant duty. The green and cream ones tend to run the route 30 and route 78/79. I see them frequently on LaTrobe Street.

s640x480

(That's one I photographed at the intersection of LaTrobe and Elizabeth.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom