Kyle McLaren should not be allowed to play again this year - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2002, 11:39 PM   #1
Kid A

Local Time: 12:05 PM
Kyle McLaren should not be allowed to play again this year

for his vicious, dirty hit on Richard Zednik -- causing serious injuries including a broken nose and jaw; after the hit Zednik was motionless on the ice for about 5 mins before being removed on a stretcher

his career could have easily been ended tonight, or worse

McLaren should be gone.

Old 04-25-2002, 11:44 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I agree! Arrrghhh, that was just plain dirty!!!! All he got so far was a 5 minute minor?!?!?

Zednik has been remarkable in this series...3 goals and 4 assists, I think...

Montreal will sure be pumped come saturday, tho....

Old 04-26-2002, 12:47 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:05 AM
i agree. though as a former player, i know how easy it is to do something like that when your about to be beat on the play. i really dont think he meant to cause the harm he did, but he STILL did it.

and for that, he should pay.

and why cant anyone ever agree with me that players that injure others vicously should not just be suspended for a few games but rather AT LEAST as long as the victim is unable to play?

------------------
-deathbear
Old 04-26-2002, 12:51 AM   #4
Kid A

the only problem with that philosophy is that a team could intentionally hold a player out of action to prolong the suspension, if the players are not on an equal par that is
Old 04-26-2002, 06:57 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer:
the only problem with that philosophy is that a team could intentionally hold a player out of action to prolong the suspension, if the players are not on an equal par that is
The NHL could employ its own doctors if they wanted to do this, e.g. have someone say "my recommendation is that Richard Zednik be held out for 10 games". If Montreal wants to put him back in sooner than that or later than that, it's their choice, but then McLaren would have to sit 10 games. It's not even that important that the estimated absence be exact.

BTW, right now on espn.com there's a link that says "Zednik injured as Bruins defeat Leafs."
Old 04-26-2002, 07:10 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Hmm. It appears Zednik taunted Boston goalie Byron Dafoe after scoring his second goal of the game.

I'm not saying Zednik deserved to be injured the way he was, but if you do something like that, you'd better be prepared to get clobbered every shift you take.
Old 04-26-2002, 08:38 AM   #7
The Fly

Local Time: 05:05 PM
Hey Speedracer, With that mentality, I would hate to be a Boston Bruin for the next game!!! Montreal is going to go after all the top guys. Should be a good one to watch. BTW, This was a lot worse then what Tie Domi did last year. He should at the very least get the same dicipline that Domi got.

mike in toronto
go LEAFs GO!!!!!
Old 04-26-2002, 10:35 AM   #8
Kid A

so if a player says he can't play because of a concussion, but the doctors say he "is probably fine," than who is right? or what if a player tries to skate and can't (legitimately or otherwise), do we just ask the doctors if he's faking the pain???
Old 04-26-2002, 11:54 AM   #9
Refugee

I totally agree and I think they will suspend him for the rest of the year. I have no problem with the fighting in hockey, but this cold-blooded stuff just kills the game and can ruin lives. it's sheer stupidity.

and yeah bear, it is spur-of-the-moment and they do it before they think, but the point is they should be thinking, when it comes to stuff like that.

------------------
tomorrow's just an excuse away
so I pull my collar up and face the cold, on my own...
Old 04-26-2002, 02:57 PM   #10
The Fly

Local Time: 01:05 PM
That was a nasty hit, and despite what McLaren says, it was not clean. I think he should face at least equal punishment to the Domi elbow from last year.
Old 04-26-2002, 09:05 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

I'm not making excuses for McLaren...but watch the replay closely. Mclaren's height (6'7") led to Zednik's broken jaw.
It appeared McLaren went for a clean(er) hit, towards the shoulder, but endedup coming in high as Zednik dropped his head. Now Mclaren did follow through with the elbow, and has been deservedly suspended, but I think 2 or 3 games is all it warrants.
Old 04-27-2002, 01:08 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by MunkyMan:
Hey Speedracer, With that mentality, I would hate to be a Boston Bruin for the next game!!! Montreal is going to go after all the top guys. Should be a good one to watch. BTW, This was a lot worse then what Tie Domi did last year. He should at the very least get the same dicipline that Domi got.

mike in toronto
go LEAFs GO!!!!!
My point was more that goalies are untouchable. You don't taunt them or run them. Everyone knows they're the heroes of the playoffs, and disrespecting a goalie like that brings with it a lot of consequences.