Kumamoto, Japan Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While I agree with you for the most part, the fact that you're, what? 16? makes this statement adorable :cute:

:laugh: Music in general sucks now, and I'm not afraid to admit it. For every Funeral, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, or Soft Bulletin, there's a bunch of bullshit that will age like fruit on a counter top.

:laugh: Music in general sucks now, and I'm not afraid to admit it. For every Funeral, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, or Soft Bulletin, there's a bunch of bullshit that will age like fruit on a counter top.
agreed, but there were albums like funeral, yhf, and soft bulletin released in the 80s as well. they may sound 80s, but i think albums released in the 90s sound like they were released then as well. and today. every decade (or sometimes even parts of decades) have a "sound." it's inescapable.

I agree that there seems to be a lot more fluff being produced now than any other period that I can remember but I'm excitied by a lot of the music currently being made - In Rainbows for example - I had really thought RH had reached their apex years ago, boy was I wrong...

I just don't care for the sound of the time much at all. You can tell if an album was made during that period just by listening to it, and that's never a good thing.

Regardless, yes, Talking Heads, Television, Joy Division, Elvis Costello, early U2, all great. But I can't think of very many classic records that were made during that period, at least not compared to the decade before.

There is nothing that compares to the decade before, and quite frankly, despite some great music that we are lucky to be getting now, we never will get that again.

I can't judge the late 70's/early 80's against the late 60's/early 70's because no other era can compete with it, either.

agreed, but there were albums like funeral, yhf, and soft bulletin released in the 80s as well. they may sound 80s, but i think albums released in the 90s sound like they were released then as well. and today. every decade (or sometimes even parts of decades) have a "sound." it's inescapable.

Did I say there weren't any classics in the 80's? :no: I just picked out a 5 year period anyway. The late 80's had some awesome albums, particularly due to the rise of golden era hip-hop.

The difference in the sound of today is that retro has now become its own genre, with artists like The White Stripes, Black Keys, Wolfmother, and others not only writing songs like but producing their albums like the classics of the past. That doesn't mean it's a smart decision...it is what it is. I think this decade is probably the most faceless ever, which isn't necessarily a bad thing either.

oh yeah, i know. what years are we talking about here? just anything that was released in the 80s, or like 78-82 (the worst era ever according to lemel :cute: ) or something?

cuz especially with new wave, there's american new wave (a broad term applied to pretty much any british band that released music in the very early 80s) and british new wave. then everything else.

I'd say late 70's through late 80's is generally the era that the term retro defines. You definitely need the late 70's.

I don't think music now totally sucks. I think you can find as good as music as you have in the last two decades. Personally, Tori Amos, Coldplay, Pure Reason Revolution, Porcupine Tree, Kate Bush, Todd Rundgren and so on are making great records at the moment. You just have to look for them a little.

I can't judge the late 70's/early 80's against the late 60's/early 70's because no other era can compete with it, either.
exactly. and plus, it's the old apples vs. oranges thing. you can't compare classic rock to post-punk/new wave. or classic rock to rock today. i can see maybe someone comparing albums by the same artist (i like this springsteen album better than this one) but to say - for example - born to run is better than unknown pleasures? it's not a valid comparison to me.

exactly. and plus, it's the old apples vs. oranges thing. you can't compare classic rock to post-punk/new wave. or classic rock to rock today. i can see maybe someone comparing albums by the same artist (i like this springsteen album better than this one) but to say - for example - born to run is better than unknown pleasures? it's not a valid comparison to me.

It's not a comparison of quality, it's a comparison of the quantity of quality. If that makes sense. :scratch:

Did I say there weren't any classics in the 80's? :no: I just picked out a 5 year period anyway. The late 80's had some awesome albums, particularly due to the rise of golden era hip-hop.

The difference in the sound of today is that retro has now become its own genre, with artists like The White Stripes, Black Keys, Wolfmother, and others not only writing songs like but producing their albums like the classics of the past. That doesn't mean it's a smart decision...it is what it is. I think this decade is probably the most faceless ever, which isn't necessarily a bad thing either.
did i say you didn't? :)

and i agree. these guys grew up worshipping people from the 70s and early 80s, and now they want to emulate their gods. some, more blatantly than others.

Unfortunately, this is the key part to your post in regards to today's music.

Because you won't find the good stuff on the radio, for the most part. You'd think when Neon Bible debuted at #2 on Billboard last year that it would have woken up radio programmers...

Radio sucks donkey balls these days, sad but true.

But, then again, hasn't it always? I mean, just because some of us happen to not like what the playlists aren. wasn't it always that way? Isn't that's why college radio turned out the U2's, REMs and Kate Bush's?

It's not a comparison of quality, it's a comparison of the quantity of quality. If that makes sense. :scratch:

Well, I think that just goes to show how that era of music is untouchable and can't be compared with, because you were getting devastating record after devastating record back then.

No other era will ever come close to that output again.

But, then again, hasn't it always? I mean, just because some of us happen to not like what the playlists aren. wasn't it always that way? Isn't that's why college radio turned out the U2's, REMs and Kate Bush's?
exactly. mainstream radio only played these guys once they hit it big. then again, one could argue now that arcade fire have a hit album, they should be on mainstream radio. i don't know. i think fm radio is becoming a dying medium, but that's just because in my city we have such shitty selection. i've had to turn to satellite radio because my top 40's idea of top 40 is (i'm not kidding) playing pink's get the party started every. day.

Unfortunately, this is the key part to your post in regards to today's music.

Because you won't find the good stuff on the radio, for the most part. You'd think when Neon Bible debuted at #2 on Billboard last year that it would have woken up radio programmers...

I tend to agree that the underground is about as strong as it's ever been if you care to look, but radio is definitely garbage now. Even the 90's had brilliant classics like Achtung Baby, Ten, and the Blue Album played to death on radio, but when was the last time you heard a song from Yankee Hotel Foxtrot or Kid A on the radio? Hmm? Anyone?

Yes, but at least mainstream artists back then were still of decent quality as well. True, there was crap back then, but it got offset by good music still. Not anymore.

I tend to agree that the underground is about as strong as it's ever been if you care to look, but radio is definitely garbage now. Even the 90's had brilliant classics like Achtung Baby, Ten, and the Blue Album played to death on radio, but when was the last time you heard a song from Yankee Hotel Foxtrot or Kid A on the radio? Hmm? Anyone?

Radio's idea of Radiohead is Creep, High And Dry, and Fake Plastic Trees, and that's if you are lucky. Most of the time it's just Creep.

That really says it all right there.

Radio's idea of Radiohead is Creep, High And Dry, and Fake Plastic Trees, and that's if you are lucky. Most of the time it's just Creep.

That really says it all right there.

Hey, Nude cracked the top 40 a month ago. Maybe there's hope yet. :hug:

Oh, wait...that was from internet sales. Nevermind. :madspit:

Fuck yes! Maxell XLII tapes for the win.

I used to listen to the Billboard countdown when I was young and write the top ten songs each week in a notebook. :nerd:

Oh, big time :nerd: :wink:

I loved listening to the countdowns and getting exposed to all sorts of good stuff. I think I still have some of those tapes in my mom's basement. They're probably all warped as fuck now, but I'd love to see if they are or aren't...

And I recall, I had some total guilty pleasure late 80's stuff. Marika's Toy Soliders or Bobby Brown's Ghostbuster's 2 theme, anyone? :lol:

the build-a-bands are the ones that piss me off the most...

The Pussycat Dolls, really?
UGH!!! yes. and danity kane, and whoever else there is. blah. and then the lead singer always decides "oh snap i'm better than this band!" and takes their weave and goes solo. and falls flat on their face because 1. they have no talent 2. they don't have the hype of that mtv band anymore

I refuse to let anyone turn on the radio in my car. Warrants mentioning. I have six burned CDs: three general mixes, 2 Bowie mixes, and a U2 mix. Those rotate in my car. I'm creating a Springsteen mix soon.

I refuse to let anyone turn on the radio in my car. Warrants mentioning. I have six burned CDs: three general mixes, 2 Bowie mixes, and a U2 mix. Those rotate in my car. I'm creating a Springsteen mix soon.

:up: I'll probably do the same. I have so many burned mixes it's absolutely ridiculous. Plus the DI playlists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom