Kumamoto, Japan Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1978-1982 was arguably the worst period for music until the mid/late 90's. It's been downhill ever since. I maintain that 1966-1976 was a peak of some kind.

1978-1982 was arguably the worst period for music until the mid/late 90's. It's been downhill ever since. I maintain that 1966-1976 was a peak of some kind.
wth.gif
buh

While I don't necessarily disagree, I don't think it's nearly as bad as you make it out to be. You had a lot of good stuff out there as well. The Clash, Television, Elvis Costello, Joy Division, Split Enz, Ultravox, New Order, Yaz, etc...it really goes on and on.

No, no, no. We ain't talkin' disco here. As Khan mentioned, strictly new wave-type material, or close to it.
FUCKING AWESOME.

damn i will make a great playlist.

shit, i already HAVE an 80 minute long new wave playlist sitting on my itunes! i made myself an 80s cd a while back. i can't remember if every song fits the new wave criteria, i just remember the first track is don't go by yaz.

FUCKING AWESOME.

damn i will make a great playlist.

shit, i already HAVE an 80 minute long new wave playlist sitting on my itunes! i made myself an 80s cd a while back. i can't remember if every song fits the new wave criteria, i just remember the first track is don't go by yaz.

Don't get handcuffed by the "new wave" term, though. 80's-type music that might not be considered new wave would be ok, I'd think.

That's why the Retro term is better, as it's more broadly defined.

While I don't necessarily disagree, I don't think it's nearly as bad as you make it out to be. You had a lot of good stuff out there as well. The Clash, Television, Elvis Costello, Joy Division, Split Enz, Ultravox, New Order, Yaz, etc...it really goes on and on.

I just don't care for the sound of the time much at all. You can tell if an album was made during that period just by listening to it, and that's never a good thing.

Regardless, yes, Talking Heads, Television, Joy Division, Elvis Costello, early U2, all great. But I can't think of very many classic records that were made during that period, at least not compared to the decade before.

Don't get handcuffed by the "new wave" term, though. 80's-type music that might not be considered new wave would be ok, I'd think.

That's why the Retro term is better, as it's more broadly defined.
oh yeah, i know. what years are we talking about here? just anything that was released in the 80s, or like 78-82 (the worst era ever according to lemel :cute: ) or something?

cuz especially with new wave, there's american new wave (a broad term applied to pretty much any british band that released music in the very early 80s) and british new wave. then everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom