Korea vs. Turkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, the goal that Cha Doo-Ri scored at the very end provides some redeeming value. The announcers on Univision seem not to have noticed, but Song Chong-Gug shot the ball, and it deflected off of Cha's rear and into the net.

Kind of a bummer for captain Hong Myung-Bo, playing in his last World Cup match--coughed up the ball on the first Turkish goal, made poor defensive decisions on the other two, and got subbed out at half.

Could be one of the worst games I've seen this World Cup. But at the end, when S Korea scored the last goal within the last 2 mins, and after the game ended, when both sides embraced, exchanged tees and flags... I was proud to see such wonderful sportsmanship. The Koreans are such humble and generous hosts. The ending made up for all the shite I put up with during the game.

foray

Korea started the game with only one man from the usual back 3, and it showed, as much as Korea did this world cup, they don't have much other than the ususal 11 or 13 regulars.

I think Turkey deserved the 3th place on that basis, is a stronger side.

Even the Korea fans were amaizing. Too bad that fair play only shows when there is not much at stake, 3th or 4th, not much changes.

This will pass to history, fastest goal in a world cup game, 10 secs, and one of the FIFA mistakes will be erased, in the FIFA books, the fastest goal was listed for Bryan Robson, 20 somthing secs vs France in 1982 if I remember well, the truth is that in the 1962 world cup, a player from Czecoslovakia scored a goal at 13 seconds in a game vs Mexico ( Mexico won 3-1, for our first ever victory in world cup), even with the video evidence, FIFA was always reluctant to correct the mistake.

bullet the blue sky said:
I think you'll find South Korea reverted to type.

What, you mean relentless attacking, clumsy finishing, overzealous on-the-ball defense that leaves other men open, and a leaky back line? Seems like that's the way Korea played all tournament. They just didn't win the bloody game this time.

Korea did have some nice moments, though:

-Ahn Jung-Hwan doing his best Brazilian striker impression, holding the ball, faking left, then right, then launching a fierce shot high and away from Rustu Recber. Recber jumped, turned his body sideways, and parried it over the bar. It looked like he was lying in a bunk bed. Recber then gave Ahn a sly look and a thumbs-up.

-Lee Eul-Young, benched for most of the tournament after missing a penalty kick against the US, scored on a wicked curveball. The Univision announcers called it a "golaso" and compared it to one of R. Carlos's shots.

-and, of course, Cha Doo-Ri scoring with his ass. Pure genius.

Contrary to what some others have said, I thought it was a good game. Both sides clearly were enthusiastic about playing, as was reflected in the spirited post-game celebration.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom