Koolyanobbing, Western Australia Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:

Yeah, I knew I'd mentioned it once in these threads already, but I'd no idea who was around then. Some of the stories of the Norwegian black metal scene of the early nineties are truly FUCKED UP.

Euronymous, incidentally, was murdered by bandmate Count Grishnackh. Meanwhile, one member of Emperor was convicted of murdering a homosexual guy, numerous black metallers burnt down churches, and I believe there was one who was charged with murdering some homeless bloke ...

We talked about the craziness of the Norwegian and Swedish black metal scene in my rock history course a couple weeks ago. Like you said, there's some fucked up things that went on over there.

We decided it's because they're cold all the time. Even more so than Minnesota. :lol:

Axver said:

I had a guy like that last year. He was a really nice guy and I liked talking to him after the lectures, but he'd go on the weirdest tangents, all in this droning monotone that half the time sent me to sleep ...

That sounds exactly like this guy. He's funny when he goes off on tangents, but when he's talking about the course material, he drives me insane.

Alisaura said:

I did get Even Less before, yeah.

Erk, I'd better reassemble these albums... I've got some of the songs in the sampler folders and some in the album folders... :lol:

:lol:

Most of the time when I cut tracks, they were ones I thought I'd included on your CD. For a few albums though, I just chose select tracks that I think are the best or most representative - for example, I'm pretty sure I gave that treatment to Up The Downstair. I honestly expected to be able to include more of the band's discography on one CD than I ultimately could!

onebloodonelife said:

We talked about the craziness of the Norwegian and Swedish black metal scene in my rock history course a couple weeks ago. Like you said, there's some fucked up things that went on over there.

We decided it's because they're cold all the time. Even more so than Minnesota. :lol:

:lol: That would've been awesome. I understand there was at one point almost a small scale war between the Norwegian and Finnish black metal scenes. And the Norwegian black metallers didn't like the Swedish death metallers, but that feeling never seemed to be mutual, what with all the Swedish blackened death bands out there. Personally, I tend to think death metal is generally better, but black metal's best moments beat death metal's best. And I imagine not many people on this thread could even distinguish between black and death metal, so why am I rambling on ...? :wink:

phanan said:
I'm about to take a trip through Voyage 34.

The complete trip.

See you on the other side.

Ooh, that'll be interesting. I hope you don't get too shocked when you meet yourself coming up a down escalator.

I need to play Voyage 34 again one of these days.

phanan said:

I'd go with Stupid Dream as well.

Not sure what else you've heard. I think I saw you mention Fear and In Absentia, so if that's it so far, I'd add Deadwing, too.

Yeah, I support this too. Deadwing's my favourite of the three latest albums, actually. The title track, Lazarus, Arriving Somewhere, Mellotron Scratch, Glass Arm Shattering, and the 2005 version of She's Moved On are made of win.

Axver said:

Ooh, that'll be interesting. I hope you don't get too shocked when you meet yourself coming up a down escalator.

I need to play Voyage 34 again one of these days.

I've actually never listened to this thing all the way through, for whatever reason. But I'm determined to now.

phanan said:

I've actually never listened to this thing all the way through, for whatever reason. But I'm determined to now.

I've only done it once, and that was about two years ago now. Might be an interesting way to pass one of my upcoming flights ...

I couldn't resist the PT discussion... :shifty:

Deadwing is undoubtedly my favorite of the last three! :love: followed by Fear and then In Absentia I think. What should I get next? Stupid Dream?

Even Less :drool:

Zootlesque said:
I couldn't resist the PT discussion... :shifty:

Deadwing is undoubtedly my favorite of the last three! :love: followed by Fear and then In Absentia I think. What should I get next? Stupid Dream?

Even Less :drool:

Stupid Dream for sure. Though you like Pink Floyd, so I expect you'd quite appreciate The Sky Moves Sideways too. Just its tracklisting alone is enough to remind you of Wish You Were Here!

OK, could someone please wrestle the microphone away from the idiot who has control of the PA in Hyderabad? I'm trying to watch the Deccan Chargers vs Rajasthan, and this idiot keeps blaring "After me: 1 and 2 and 3 and 4, Deccan Chargers give us more!" I don't think he knows any other words! I'm on the verge of muting the TV/killing this guy. :mad:

Axver said:

:lol: That would've been awesome. I understand there was at one point almost a small scale war between the Norwegian and Finnish black metal scenes. And the Norwegian black metallers didn't like the Swedish death metallers, but that feeling never seemed to be mutual, what with all the Swedish blackened death bands out there. Personally, I tend to think death metal is generally better, but black metal's best moments beat death metal's best. And I imagine not many people on this thread could even distinguish between black and death metal, so why am I rambling on ...? :wink:

:lol: It was pretty fantastic. We also talked about the Swedish Melodic Death Metal scene, which I find to be a bit of an oxymoron, but what can you do?

Alisaura said:
I like Stupid Dream so far!

:up:

These days, the band seems particularly fond of playing Even Less and A Smart Kid live. I don't think they've done it this tour, but Don't Hate Me was a regular on the Deadwing Tour too.

Yeah I've been thinking about Sky Moves Sideways too. :drool:

Hi Alisaura :wave:

Axver said:
OK, could someone please wrestle the microphone away from the idiot who has control of the PA in Hyderabad? I'm trying to watch the Deccan Chargers vs Rajasthan, and this idiot keeps blaring "After me: 1 and 2 and 3 and 4, Deccan Chargers give us more!" I don't think he knows any other words! I'm on the verge of muting the TV/killing this guy. :mad:

:lol:!!! You're watching a local cricket match in India??

Axver said:
Mute first... Kill later, when you need an album cover for your solo death metal project when Phail... phails.

:wink:

onebloodonelife said:

:lol: It was pretty fantastic. We also talked about the Swedish Melodic Death Metal scene, which I find to be a bit of an oxymoron, but what can you do?

In comparison to Tech Death, Melodeath makes sense as a label! :lol:

There is a melody ... if you can listen closely enough without your ears being mauled ...

Axver said:

In comparison to Tech Death, Melodeath makes sense as a label! :lol:

There is a melody ... if you can listen closely enough without your ears being mauled ...

:hmm: This is true. We were specifically talking about Arch Enemy.

Holy shit! Can that woman scream too. I was absolutely blown away by her voice.

Zootlesque said:
:lol:!!! You're watching a local cricket match in India??

Yep! It's the Indian Premier League, a Twenty20 competition with shitloads of international players in it, including some of my favourite Kiwis. Remarkably, every game is on Aussie free-to-air TV, most live. :up:

This bloody tournament's going to keep me up to 3am for the next month or so ... :crack:

onebloodonelife said:

:hmm: This is true. We were specifically talking about Arch Enemy.

Holy shit! Can that woman scream too. I was absolutely blown away by her voice.

ARCH ENEMY ARE FUCKING NUTS. I could not believe it when I heard their music and found out they had a female vocalist. She's got more balls than most men do!

Axver said:

ARCH ENEMY ARE FUCKING NUTS. I could not believe it when I heard their music and found out they had a female vocalist. She's got more balls than most men do!

I KNOW! We watched a live video of her, and then watched a video on Youtube of her showing exactly how she does it. Absolute craziness. Even though I'm not a metal fan, I can definitely respect what she's doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom