Koolyanobbing, Western Australia Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sad Punk said:

It'll be ten times longer than the Magna Carta writing about ATYCLB alone, though. :wink:

I'm watching stuff on YouTube to get me into a party mood, but they seem to be having the opposite effect. Perhaps I shouldn't be watching I Shall Be Released from the NJ CoH show.

(Though Bono does a great jog at the end.)

:lol:

But does Bono do the low hmmm, hm?

I'm feeling melancholic so I'm listening to melancholic Porcupine Tree stuff. Kinda by accident. I just started adding songs to a playlist and noticed after the fact that they were all the really melancholic ones.

Glad I've got three gigs and shitloads of travel to keep me busy the next few days.

Yeah, your little tour sounds awesome - and expensive, but I guess you're looking past that. I don't know if I could save up long enough to do something like that, but it's nice to hear other people can. :lol:

People can go fuck themselves.

Blah. I think I've spent too much time by myself this week.

The Sad Punk said:
Yeah, your little tour sounds awesome - and expensive, but I guess you're looking past that. I don't know if I could save up long enough to do something like that, but it's nice to hear other people can. :lol:

:lol: It's mercifully not costing me too much because of the fact I'll be staying with family in Queensland. Only a few hundred dollars all told. And the cheaper tickets than, say, U2 and lower amount of shows helps!

I've won a couple of scholarships for university this year too. Let's just say that not all of the money has quite gone to academic endeavours, though it is going to keeping me sane ...

Just making my usual early morning cameo before work...

Axver said:
Proof of Porcupine Tree's fake origins, from The Cross / Hole / Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape on Tarquin's Seaweed Farm:

This music is for you! In the sign of cancer, on bass, Mister Jelly. In the sign of capricon, awaiting [something] return, on keyboards, Tarquin Underspoon. In the sign of aquarius, on electric treatments and acoustic guitars, Sebastian Tweetle-Blampton the Third. On the cusp of Taurus and Gemini, on percussion, Timothy Tadpole-Jones. In the sign of Leo, on drums, The Evaporating Flam. And on lead guitar, THE PORCUPINE TREE!

Incidentally, the later version of Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape on the Staircase Infinities EP is fucking AWESOME. One of my favourite instrumentals.

Some of this early stuff is quite the strange trip, but it's fascinating what SW was coming up with at such a young age. Amazing.

I think I'm going to make a compilation of the early stuff that I like, as it really is hit or miss. And I'm going to end it with The Cross and Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape, but I'm going to edit it so that it's the version from Staircase Infinities instead.

Just thinking of that combo is :drool:

Anyway, off to work. If you're not around later Ax, have a great time at the shows.

phanan said:
Some of this early stuff is quite the strange trip, but it's fascinating what SW was coming up with at such a young age. Amazing.

I think I'm going to make a compilation of the early stuff that I like, as it really is hit or miss. And I'm going to end it with The Cross and Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape, but I'm going to edit it so that it's the version from Staircase Infinities instead.

Just thinking of that combo is :drool:

Anyway, off to work. If you're not around later Ax, have a great time at the shows.

:wave: G'day - and thanks, can't wait for the gigs. In about 24 hours, PT will be taking the stage here in Melbourne. :drool:

I would absolutely love to hear that edit of The Cross / Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape. I've thought that would rock for quite some time. I'm actually listening to The Cross right now! I think SW sings it really well. I'm also quite interested to see what you put on that compilation; I agree about the early years being very hit and miss. Have you tracked down the version of And The Swallows Dance Above The Sun from The Love, Death, And Mussolini EP? As I believe I've said before, I think that version is better - the guitars sound more raw and I think that works better.

Just wondering, what sort of music is Porcupine Tree, exactly? I figure prog rock, but what are the direct influences and contemporaries that sound similar? Are they particularly inspired by Floyd (a band I rather dislike most of the time), and close to sounding like Dream Theatre, or are they heavier?

Hmm, I'd better give this PT stuff Ax gave me a listen... :uhoh:
*plugs headphones into computer*

Popup message: "You have just plugged in a device to the audio jack!"

ZOMGWFTBBQ ORLY WOW!!!! :shocked: How did it KNOW??

Wouldn't be because I'm the one that plugged it in, would it??

*smacks computer*

Oh, hi Bonnie and Ax :wave:

Hi Ali! :wave:

Alisaura said:
Hmm, I'd better give this PT stuff Ax gave me a listen... :uhoh:

:lol: About time! Probably listening to Fear Of A Blank Planet and Nil Recurring would be a good idea as they're the recent releases and I imagine a fair bit of the set will be drawn from them if it's anything like last year. My pick for rarity to debut in Melbourne: Normal.

And did I send you Trains earlier? Because that's just about their Streets or Pride or whatever.

*plugs headphones into computer*

Popup message: "You have just plugged in a device to the audio jack!"

ZOMGWFTBBQ ORLY WOW!!!! :shocked: How did it KNOW??

Wouldn't be because I'm the one that plugged it in, would it??

*smacks computer*

:laugh: Gotta love the over-obvious Windows messages. Though my favourite is when I disconnect my external harddrive. The "Generic USB Device" device has been disconnected ...

The Sad Punk said:
Just wondering, what sort of music is Porcupine Tree, exactly? I figure prog rock, but what are the direct influences and contemporaries that sound similar? Are they particularly inspired by Floyd (a band I rather dislike most of the time), and close to sounding like Dream Theatre, or are they heavier?

They're generally progressive rock, though Steven Wilson doesn't like that description as he says the music itself isn't very complex - it's the production, atmosphere, and general emphasis upon the album as a cohesive piece rather than individual songs that gives the music complexity. But then you watch him play Hatesong live and suspect he's just being modest about his guitar playing abilities.

Steven Wilson is very much the band leader and has rather wide-ranging tastes. Seventies prog was a strong influence, and Pink Floyd are one of his favourite bands, but he's horrified Porcupine Tree snobs worldwide for praising the songwriting of various pop acts (I think including Abba!). The early albums are very psychedelic, with The Sky Moves Sideways particularly Floydian. From the late 1990s (starting with Stupid Dream, my favourite album), there has been a much stronger emphasis on tight and focused songwriting, and since the early 2000s, a heavier metal influence has crept into the music. I wouldn't describe it as metal, but using some of the techniques and atmospheres of metal in a rock context.

It continues to baffle me how songs like Piano Lessons, She's Moved On, Trains, and Lazarus were not huge radio hits.

Axver said:
:lol: About time! Probably listening to Fear Of A Blank Planet and Nil Recurring would be a good idea as they're the recent releases ...
And did I send you Trains earlier? Because that's just about their Streets or Pride or whatever.
Does that mean I should stop listening to In Absentia? :tongue:
You did send me Trains, and I'm sure I listened to it at the time...
I know I've heard the song Fear of a Blank Planet... not given the whole album a go yet.

Eh, I was gonna stay up late anyway :D

:laugh: Gotta love the over-obvious Windows messages. Though my favourite is when I disconnect my external harddrive. The "Generic USB Device" device has been disconnected ...
:lol: Classic...

I think it's my motherboard doing this, but every time I plug in the speakers or the headphones, it demands to know exactly WHICH device I've plugged in... and if I tick the wrong box, it won't bloody work! How the hell does that work?!

Alisaura said:

Does that mean I should stop listening to In Absentia? :tongue:
You did send me Trains, and I'm sure I listened to it at the time...
I know I've heard the song Fear of a Blank Planet... not given the whole album a go yet.

Eh, I was gonna stay up late anyway :D

:lol: No, In Absentia should be represented fairly strongly. I expect to hear at least three songs from it. Deadwing should also offer up at least two or three, including Halo - which live takes on a bit of a different form to studio.

My bets for songs we're sure to hear: Blackest Eyes, Trains, Halo, FOABP, Anesthetize, Normal. Even Less is very highly probable. I'm sure there will be surprises though, as it's been a few months since they've played live. I'm praying for Radioactive Toy - it hasn't been done for a couple of tours, but it's a live classic and I'm hoping they'll do it for us since they haven't visited before.

I think it's my motherboard doing this, but every time I plug in the speakers or the headphones, it demands to know exactly WHICH device I've plugged in... and if I tick the wrong box, it won't bloody work! How the hell does that work?!

That's really strange! Mine does NOTHING when I plug in new headphones. Almost everything else produces a silly message, but headphones evokes no action at all from the computer.

Axver said:
That's really strange! Mine does NOTHING when I plug in new headphones. Almost everything else produces a silly message, but headphones evokes no action at all from the computer.
No other computer I've owned or heard about has done that either. I think this one just has OCD or something...

Like owner, like computer... :wink:

Alisaura said:
Okay, I'm guessing Wedding Nails didn't come from a happy place....!

:wink:

:lol:

You can kinda tell this album came just after SW produced Opeth's Blackwater Park album. Then there's Futile and Orchidia on the Futile EP, which are even heavier. I would die of joy if they cranked out Orchidia; it's one of the best instrumentals I know.

But nowadays, SW regrets putting Wedding Nails on In Absentia. He's been quoted as saying "that replaced Drown With Me - looking back on it, I can't figure out why." They've been doing Drown With Me this tour and I hope it makes it to at least one of the Aussie gigs. I can't recall if I put the studio version on the CD for you, but I definitely put the acoustic live version from We Lost The Skyline, which I think is just amazing.

Alisaura said:

No other computer I've owned or heard about has done that either. I think this one just has OCD or something...

Like owner, like computer... :wink:

:laugh:

My computer is doing its best slow death act. It's been clinging to life for about 2 years now! I might buy a new one soon ...

And are you going to do a running diary of In Absentia or something? :wink:

OK, folks, Collapse The Light Into Earth --> Orchidia is quite possibly one of the most awkward segues in history.

But mother of God, what a riff!

Axver said:
You can kinda tell this album came just after SW produced Opeth's Blackwater Park album. Then there's Futile and Orchidia on the Futile EP, which are even heavier. I would die of joy if they cranked out Orchidia; it's one of the best instrumentals I know.

But nowadays, SW regrets putting Wedding Nails on In Absentia. He's been quoted as saying "that replaced Drown With Me - looking back on it, I can't figure out why." They've been doing Drown With Me this tour and I hope it makes it to at least one of the Aussie gigs. I can't recall if I put the studio version on the CD for you, but I definitely put the acoustic live version from We Lost The Skyline, which I think is just amazing.
Did you give me Orchidia? *searches*

.3 just came on... teh bassssssss :drool:

Axver said:
OK, folks, Collapse The Light Into Earth --> Orchidia is quite possibly one of the most awkward segues in history.

But mother of God, what a riff!
That sounds like a challenge to me!

:hmm:

Theme from The Swan -> Mofo?

Righto, after In Absentia, I'll listen to that live Drown with Me (I can't find a studio version), then the newer stuff....

Alisaura said:

Did you give me Orchidia? *searches*

.3 just came on... teh bassssssss :drool:

I don't think I did ... I can e-mail it though!

And I knew you'd appreciate .3 (which is bizarrely properly known as "DOT three", not "POINT three"; I still use the latter). The best part is that it's shown up in this tour's setlists sometimes. :drool:

Axver said:
I don't think I did ... I can e-mail it though!

And I knew you'd appreciate .3 (which is bizarrely properly known as "DOT three", not "POINT three"; I still use the latter). The best part is that it's shown up in this tour's setlists sometimes. :drool:
Yay email :D

:hyper: Which side of the stage does the bassist usually inhabit? :whistle:

Alisaura said:

That sounds like a challenge to me!

:hmm:

Theme from The Swan -> Mofo?

Righto, after In Absentia, I'll listen to that live Drown with Me (I can't find a studio version), then the newer stuff....

:laugh: This is a challenge I can get into. Viva Davidoff --> The Electric Co.? Viva Davidoff --> any black metal song ever?

Damn, I must've thought I'd e-mailed you Drown With Me's studio version earlier or something. It's one of my PT favourites. The acoustic version is from October last year and I think it's the highlight of We Lost The Skyline. SW and John Wesley's vocal harmonies are great.

Alisaura said:

Yay email :D

:hyper: Which side of the stage does the bassist usually inhabit? :whistle:

I'll attach it to the reply I'm about to send to your last e-mail - which means it'll take a while to send, whee. :|

I think Colin Edwin is to the right as you look at the stage, i.e. same as Adam. Best of all, Colin Edwin is a Melbourne boy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom