Koolyanobbing, Western Australia Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
KhanadaRhodes said:
dr. drééééééééééééééééé
drdresq0.jpg

You should use Axver Or Adam. :tsk:

In fact, make that PORCUPINE TREE TOMORROW, THE NEXT NIGHT, AND THE NIGHT AFTER THAT. :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

LemonMelon said:

Mailing me Porcupine Tree albums will help pass the time! :hyper:

Did you miss the link phanan posted to a site with all PT's albums?

Here we go. I recommend starting with In Absentia; most people seem to start there. Though Stupid Dream is also a good place to begin.

phanan said:
I know Axver was looking into sending some people PT albums, but here's a blog where you can get all of them if you wish (I'm assuming the links work - note that the password is bunalti.com).

http://bigrock666.blogspot.com/2008/04/full-discography-porcupine-tree.html

Now this discography lists everything, included compilations, singles, EPs, early demos, etc. For now, if you're new to PT, stick to the regular albums, which are:

On The Sunday Of Life
Up The Downstair
The Sky Moves Sideways
Signify

Stupid Dream
Lightbulb Sun
Recordings

In Absentia
Deadwing
Fear Of A Blank Planet

I've separated them into three groups, as PT have gone through three phases in their career.

The first group is more ambient and experimental, and at times sounds like Pink Floyd (see The Sky Moves Sideways).

The second group is probably their most accessible, as they streamlined their songs for a more rock sound.

The third group goes a bit further, incorporating progressive metal into their music.

So choose the group that you think you'd find most interesting first.

My pick for the first group would be The Sky Moves Sideways, for the second it's Stupid Dream, and for the third, well, take your pick. Any one of them would work.

Axver said:
Here we go. I recommend starting with In Absentia; most people seem to start there. Though Stupid Dream is also a good place to begin.

:applaud: That's the one! I already have In Absentia and think it's awesome. And The Moon Touches Your Shoulder is a great song.

The Sad Punk said:
Oh, Ax - speaking of you giving things out to people, I didn't find out if you found any of the bootlegs yet.

No rush now with it, though.

I could've sworn that last time you dropped in, I let you know that they're all there ...

LemonMelon said:

:applaud: That's the one! I already have In Absentia and think it's awesome. And The Moon Touches Your Shoulder is a great song.

Then I suppose you can't go wrong with any of The Sky Moves Sideways, Stupid Dream, or Deadwing.

Axver said:

I could've sworn that last time you dropped in, I let you know that they're all there ...

Yeah, I remember asking it and I guessed you replied, but I had to leave before I could check it. :slant:

Thanks, though, good to hear they're there. :)

LemonMelon said:

Any albums in particular that are worth avoiding?

Only On The Sunday Of Life. It's more a compilation of the stuff from the early cassettes and shit that SW did when Porcupine Tree's music was meant to belong to a mythical seventies prog band. It's really, really weird shit. I've only played On The Sunday Of Life once all the way through, though Radioactive Toy is a live classic.

I should note that Recordings is in fact as out-takes collection of songs that didn't make Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun, but it is usually counted as a full album despite that.

And from personal experience, I found Signify took a little while to get into - though Waiting is an amazing song and I often use it to introduce people to the band.

The Sad Punk said:

Yeah, I remember asking it and I guessed you replied, but I had to leave before I could check it. :slant:

Thanks, though, good to hear they're there. :)

Ah, right. I knew I wasn't imagining things!

I'm surprised I found anything. My place looks like a fucking tornado hit it. It's kind of embarrassing really, as I don't normally let it get like this ...

Axver said:

Only On The Sunday Of Life. It's more a compilation of the stuff from the early cassettes and shit that SW did when Porcupine Tree's music was meant to belong to a mythical seventies prog band. It's really, really weird shit. I've only played On The Sunday Of Life once all the way through, though Radioactive Toy is a live classic.

I should note that Recordings is in fact as out-takes collection of songs that didn't make Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun, but it is usually counted as a full album despite that.

And from personal experience, I found Signify took a little while to get into - though Waiting is an amazing song and I often use it to introduce people to the band.

You obviously love Fear Of A Blank Planet, but I've heard this one isn't good for beginners?

BTW, I smiled when I read PT's wikipedia entry and saw this:

Porcupine Tree originated in 1987 as something of a collaborative hoax between Steven Wilson and Malcolm Stocks. Inspired somewhat by the big bands, such as Pink Floyd, that dominated the music scene during their youths, the two decided to form a fictional legendary rock band named The Porcupine Tree. Wilson obliged the creation with several hours of music to provide "evidence" of its existence. The two also fabricated details such as band members, album titles and backstory. The backstory purportedly included events such as meeting at a '70s rock festival, and several trips in and out of prison.

It's the same damn thing I'm doing for the Fake List, and I didn't even know it! :lol: :heart:

LemonMelon said:

You obviously love Fear Of A Blank Planet, but I've heard this one isn't good for beginners?

I wouldn't agree with that at all. I think Anesthetize in particular is a great 17.5 minute summary of what the band's all about. The last few minutes are beautiful.

That said, I wouldn't leap into it first either. While it's not a bad place to start (and my third favourite PT album behind Stupid Dream and Deadwing), I think there are better places to begin if you already know In Absentia, just to get a broad overview of the band's eras and development.

BTW, I smiled when I read PT's wikipedia entry and saw this:

It's the same damn thing I'm doing for the Fake List, and I didn't even know it! :lol: :heart:

:lol: This is exactly why I've argued that if we're going to use Screwtape's logic, we'd have to ban Porcupine Tree from the game!

Proof of Porcupine Tree's fake origins, from The Cross / Hole / Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape on Tarquin's Seaweed Farm:

This music is for you! In the sign of cancer, on bass, Mister Jelly. In the sign of capricon, awaiting [something] return, on keyboards, Tarquin Underspoon. In the sign of aquarius, on electric treatments and acoustic guitars, Sebastian Tweetle-Blampton the Third. On the cusp of Taurus and Gemini, on percussion, Timothy Tadpole-Jones. In the sign of Leo, on drums, The Evaporating Flam. And on lead guitar, THE PORCUPINE TREE!

Incidentally, the later version of Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape on the Staircase Infinities EP is fucking AWESOME. One of my favourite instrumentals.

COBL_04 said:
axver, i still cant believe that the maori stereotype was a million kids climbing out of a van.

and i actually saw it.

amazing!

:lmao: Go to the Gold Coast and Maori vans are everywhere. They're usually easy to pick and have a habit of being beat-up white or red.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom