Knockemstiff, Ohio Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oooops, sorry.

You could have responded that Air France and BA are two of the few airlines that have managed to trash some of the most modern, crash proof planes in the last three years.

:laugh: I wasn't aware of that; but then the only aircraft accidents I can think of are the most major ones, and Kiwi ones. I was thinking of responding with "what, and their pilots are exactly the same people too?"

Ooh, I remember both of those now that you mention them. Actually, the thing I remember most about BA Flight 38 is the shitfest on Wikipedia about whether it was significant enough an accident to justify inclusion in the first place! :laugh:

If this deserves to be on Wikipedia, then BA38 sure does.

List of fictional games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Especially because of the potential consequences of the investigation.

OK, let's picspam this place, shall we? I'll start with my gallery called "Chasing the 00". To quote my gallery description:

Although I had a couple of photos floating around of trams displaying route 00, I didn't have any of substance. Every evening, numerous trams run to West Coburg on route 55 with peak hour services from the city, then run empty back from the West Coburg terminus as route 00, sometimes allowing passengers to ride as far as the Abbotsford Street Interchange before changing direction and heading to Essendon Depot via the route 59. Now, my camera is terrible at night, so I decided I better get pictures of the route 00 in action before evenings became too dark and in case, by the return of light evenings, the running of route 00 had changed somehow. Accordingly, on 4 April 2008, the last weekday evening of daylight savings for 2008, I went out and photographed trams in Royal Park. These include route 55 as well as route 00 services.

And here's one of the first photos I took, Z3 161 and B2 2088 passing. Since I couldn't see the destination board well enough in person and can't make it out in any of my photos, I have no idea if the B2 was an 00 or a 55.

s640x480

Ahh, right. I know a bit about the volcanic history of SE Queensland/NW NSW thanks to studying it in high school geography, but I haven't a bloody clue with anything Victorian. Was there much activity in these parts?

And you know you want to come and nerd it up with the geology in Royal Park one day.

Geology nerding... :hyper: :nerd:

The whole chunk of Victoria from the middle bit westwards is/was a volcanically active region. It goes across into SA... Whole bunch of dormant/extinct volcanoes. Mt Alexander, Mt Franklin (which my parents can see from their house), Mt Macedon, all that stuff. Nothing's really erupted since about 6,000 years ago, but that's not that long ago, geologically speaking. There's still tectonic deformation taking place across the region, so it's still technically active, and the volcanoes are technically dormant, rather than extinct. The prevailing theory at uni was that a hot spot caused most of them (like Hawaii), and if the hot spot has moved on, it's not likely they'll start erupting again. (My dad does like to joke about watching Mt Franklin blow up from a safe distance, though. :wink: )

Geology nerding... :hyper: :nerd:

The whole chunk of Victoria from the middle bit westwards is/was a volcanically active region. It goes across into SA... Whole bunch of dormant/extinct volcanoes. Mt Alexander, Mt Franklin (which my parents can see from their house), Mt Macedon, all that stuff. Nothing's really erupted since about 6,000 years ago, but that's not that long ago, geologically speaking. There's still tectonic deformation taking place across the region, so it's still technically active, and the volcanoes are technically dormant, rather than extinct. The prevailing theory at uni was that a hot spot caused most of them (like Hawaii), and if the hot spot has moved on, it's not likely they'll start erupting again. (My dad does like to joke about watching Mt Franklin blow up from a safe distance, though. :wink: )

I know I've seen the occasional news article about "minor earthquake reported in Victoria". I wasn't aware that the volcanoes here are technically dormant; when I think of dormant volcanoes, I think of the ones in New Zealand on fault lines that could go all Mount Ruapehu on us at any moment if they felt like it. I recall that all the volcanoes we studied around SE QLD were extinct, but then that might have just been a high school over-simplification: "there's no fault lines here so they must be extinct!"

I'll start off with the pick of the photos i took at the.....ugh...Warriors on Friday.

6552c121.jpg

Stadium shot from the north-east corner.

Nice. I'm trying to work on my night photography, but most of it either ends up too dark with blurred, indistinct lights, or shitloads of digital noise.

Z3 209 with its distinctive white bumper and an unidentified Z3 cross.

s640x480

Z3 172 approaching one of a number of tram pedestrian crossings.

s640x480

I love how utterly serene it feels around the tram tracks. It reminds me of this mini-train place my parents used to take me to when i was young, it would ride around though some park, i believe.

It's how some of the tram locations feel.

Yeah, it's really nice to go and photograph in somewhere like Royal Park. When there aren't any trams, it's nice and peaceful, and you can just kick back and enjoy being outdoors. Though I tend to avoid doing anything like reading, since trams can be stunningly silent and creep up on you, so I'm always on the look-out.

Though the way development is encroaching on Royal Park, I'm not sure if it will stay the way it is for much longer. :sigh:

One of the best try saving tackles i've seen

458c4718.jpg

And on the big screen
f9e003a5.jpg

Oooh, nice!

Also, I like using the big screen. One day when I'm in the car with someone, I'd like to get in front of a tram and photograph it in the rear-view/side mirrors.

Here's B2 2127 in the trees, crossing the pedestrian crossing. This has got to be one of my favourite places to photograph trams, and I wish the W class still ran here (up until 1998, they ran services to the Zoo).

s640x480

Oooh, nice!

Also, I like using the big screen. One day when I'm in the car with someone, I'd like to get in front of a tram and photograph it in the rear-view/side mirrors.

That sounds like a cool idea. I liked using the big screen but definitely prefer using it when there is stadium context around it, so it isn't the only thing in shot and that it's pretty clear as to what it is.

Here is what i went out to photograph, Boeing 777-300ER of Singapore Airlines operating as Singapore 285 from Singapore. One of the most attractive planes out there.

1a91b7f9.jpg

Neat. :up:

I'm sure you also appreciate the variety, rather than just more of Air New Zealand and the other domestic carriers.

Neat. :up:

I'm sure you also appreciate the variety, rather than just more of Air New Zealand and the other domestic carriers.

I barely looked up when Air New Zealand and Qantas domestic were coming in. Because Pacific Blue is still rather rare, it's worth photographing.

Because of the lack of variety, i find a lot of fun is in trying to take the best photo and improving on it, rather than spotting something really, really cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom