Knockemstiff, Ohio Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, Ian, I'm currently procrastinating by working on an LJ entry about New Zealand transportation. Though it may not be entirely to your liking as my proposal would decimate parts of the regional New Zealand flight network. Certainly not all of it, but for example I'd largely replace air travel between Auckland and the Bay Of Plenty with rail, simply because a proper rail upgrade European-style would be quicker than flying.

There really is no reason besides a lack of political will that you can't board a train at Britomart and be in the centre of Tauranga 1.5 hours later.

OK, I'm about to start on cooking dinner, so posting frequency will slide. But I'm certainly good for a solid picspam after 9pm. Sure, I should do uni work, but I SHOULD do a lot of things in life.

Also, Ian, I'm currently procrastinating by working on an LJ entry about New Zealand transportation. Though it may not be entirely to your liking as my proposal would decimate parts of the regional New Zealand flight network. Certainly not all of it, but for example I'd largely replace air travel between Auckland and the Bay Of Plenty with rail, simply because a proper rail upgrade European-style would be quicker than flying.

There really is no reason besides a lack of political will that you can't board a train at Britomart and be in the centre of Tauranga 1.5 hours later.

It sounds like a good idea to me. Auckland Airport isn't exactly congested, but eliminating small, regional flights in favour of rail is fine.

It ought to be done like in France, where Air France are part of a high speed rail system that runs from De Gaulle Airport (i believe) - so you go to the airport but catch a train from there instead of flying.

It sounds like a good idea to me. Auckland Airport isn't exactly congested, but eliminating small, regional flights in favour of rail is fine.

It ought to be done like in France, where Air France are part of a high speed rail system that runs from De Gaulle Airport (i believe) - so you go to the airport but catch a train from there instead of flying.

In fact, that's precisely what I envisage for the Rotorua route in particular. Run it by the airport so that all the international tourists hop off a plane and board a train bound for Rotorua.

The European experience indicates that train routes up to about 3 hours in length are competitive with air, and with increasing delays from additional security measures at airports, that's beginning to blow out to 4 hours (probably not applicable to New Zealand's lack of domestic security, though). So I don't see rail as being able to seriously capture Auckland to Wellington, but why the hell is anybody flying from Christchurch to Oamaru and Dunedin or Napier to Wellington? Only because there isn't the political will to upgrade the railway lines to high speed standard.

Yesss. :drool:

Though I'm distracted by Spucks und Spicks for the next twenty minutes. :drool:

Maybe this will be some incentive to get some more of last year's holiday pics on PB... :reject:

Had a bomb scare at work today! :happy: At least it wasn't raining.

Maybe this will be some incentive to get some more of last year's holiday pics on PB... :reject:

Had a bomb scare at work today! :happy: At least it wasn't raining.

I saw somebody posted about that on the Melbourne LJ community! As soon as I saw the post, I thought "holy shit, that's where Ali works!" Saw somebody said you guys got to go home at about 2:30 though.

I was trudging through Health Department records then ... :crack:

Hey Ian :wave: Yeah, it's been a while.
And hi Ax, when he comes back from TV land...

We all got hustled out of the building with no warning or alarms... You know how people are with evacuations, most people don't take them seriously, and the others get panicky about whether they should lock their drawers or not, whether people will pinch things while the building's empty, if something really is on fire this time or not, etc etc...
And then once we got outside, half the people had already gone to our usual evacuation gathering-point, but then they started telling us to go somewhere else. Eventually everyone found each other at this other place, and everyone was saying there was a bomb threat, and they didn't want us gathering in the usual place because, if there really had been a bomb planted by some disgruntled ex-employee, they'd know everyone would gather there. Or maybe it was just a bit too close if something did blow up.
Anyway, most people had gone home by the time they let us back in again... still don't know the exact details. Nothing blew up, and I'm sure that if anyone was really going to blow up a building in Melbourne, it wouldn't be ours. :lol:
Still, I got to read some of my book and have a hot choc. :up:

Oh, Ali, I visited Royal Park again yesterday. The rocks shown in the photos from last week were hard rather than crumbly - I remember you asked about that. Also, up the top, I noticed the soil was quite red. If I'd had better lighting, I would've taken a series of photos: "Where am I? Dubbo? Dirranbandi? Kalgoorlie? Nope. Look up; it's inner Melbourne."

I saw somebody posted about that on the Melbourne LJ community! As soon as I saw the post, I thought "holy shit, that's where Ali works!" Saw somebody said you guys got to go home at about 2:30 though.

I was trudging through Health Department records then ... :crack:

Sounds thrilling... :|

Well, that's not entirely accurate... they evacuated us at 2.30, and an hour later they started telling people who normally would finish at 4pm or 4.30 to go home... but silly old me was going to work till 6.30 today, so I hung around, and they finally let whoever was left back in at 5pm. :grumpy: I'm sure no one would have blamed me if I had buggered off, but I would have had to make up the time I could have worked anyway, I guess.

Sounds thrilling... :|

Well, that's not entirely accurate... they evacuated us at 2.30, and an hour later they started telling people who normally would finish at 4pm or 4.30 to go home... but silly old me was going to work till 6.30 today, so I hung around, and they finally let whoever was left back in at 5pm. :grumpy: I'm sure no one would have blamed me if I had buggered off, but I would have had to make up the time I could have worked anyway, I guess.

Ahh, right. And yeah, a disgruntled ex-employee sounds like a logical explanation. Anybody who really wants to blow up a building in Melbourne has plenty of other targets they'd hit first! Though your corner of the city certainly has been in the news since I moved here, first with the shooting last year and the bomb threat now.

And yeah, you better believe those records were exciting. :| Though I was genuinely excited when I found the answer to a couple of mysteries of the Haymarket site that had been bugging me. Turns out the old Trans-Australia Airlines people were lazy bastards. :lol:

Oh, Ali, I visited Royal Park again yesterday. The rocks shown in the photos from last week were hard rather than crumbly - I remember you asked about that. Also, up the top, I noticed the soil was quite red. If I'd had better lighting, I would've taken a series of photos: "Where am I? Dubbo? Dirranbandi? Kalgoorlie? Nope. Look up; it's inner Melbourne."

Red soil tends to mean volcanic rocks under there somewhere... but not always. The red inland deserty red is from this patina that develops on all the sandstone, from oxidised traces of iron. And those pics you showed before didn't look obviously volcanic, although there is a lot of basalt in and under a lot of Victoria. All that bluestone in the buildings and curbs and pavements? Basalt.

Red soil tends to mean volcanic rocks under there somewhere... but not always. The red inland deserty red is from this patina that develops on all the sandstone, from oxidised traces of iron. And those pics you showed before didn't look obviously volcanic, although there is a lot of basalt in and under a lot of Victoria. All that bluestone in the buildings and curbs and pavements? Basalt.

Ahh, right. I know a bit about the volcanic history of SE Queensland/NW NSW thanks to studying it in high school geography, but I haven't a bloody clue with anything Victorian. Was there much activity in these parts?

And you know you want to come and nerd it up with the geology in Royal Park one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom