Knockemstiff, Ohio Superthread - Page 61 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2008, 07:16 AM   #901
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
Oooops, sorry.

You could have responded that Air France and BA are two of the few airlines that have managed to trash some of the most modern, crash proof planes in the last three years.
I wasn't aware of that; but then the only aircraft accidents I can think of are the most major ones, and Kiwi ones. I was thinking of responding with "what, and their pilots are exactly the same people too?"

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-11-2008, 07:19 AM   #902
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I wasn't aware of that; but then the only aircraft accidents I can think of are the most major ones, and Kiwi ones. I was thinking of responding with "what, and their pilots are exactly the same people too?"

The BA one was saved by the pilots from being worse, but the Air France one is all on the pilots

British Airways Flight 38 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Air France Flight 358 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-11-2008, 07:23 AM   #903
Vocal parasite

Quote:
The BA one was saved by the pilots from being worse, but the Air France one is all on the pilots

British Airways Flight 38 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Air France Flight 358 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ooh, I remember both of those now that you mention them. Actually, the thing I remember most about BA Flight 38 is the shitfest on Wikipedia about whether it was significant enough an accident to justify inclusion in the first place!

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-11-2008, 07:26 AM   #904
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Ooh, I remember both of those now that you mention them. Actually, the thing I remember most about BA Flight 38 is the shitfest on Wikipedia about whether it was significant enough an accident to justify inclusion in the first place!
If this deserves to be on Wikipedia, then BA38 sure does.

List of fictional games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Especially because of the potential consequences of the investigation.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:27 AM   #905
Blue Crack Supplier

My photos are nearly done uploading!
Old 06-11-2008, 07:28 AM   #906
Vocal parasite

OK, let's picspam this place, shall we? I'll start with my gallery called "Chasing the 00". To quote my gallery description:

Although I had a couple of photos floating around of trams displaying route 00, I didn't have any of substance. Every evening, numerous trams run to West Coburg on route 55 with peak hour services from the city, then run empty back from the West Coburg terminus as route 00, sometimes allowing passengers to ride as far as the Abbotsford Street Interchange before changing direction and heading to Essendon Depot via the route 59. Now, my camera is terrible at night, so I decided I better get pictures of the route 00 in action before evenings became too dark and in case, by the return of light evenings, the running of route 00 had changed somehow. Accordingly, on 4 April 2008, the last weekday evening of daylight savings for 2008, I went out and photographed trams in Royal Park. These include route 55 as well as route 00 services.

And here's one of the first photos I took, Z3 161 and B2 2088 passing. Since I couldn't see the destination board well enough in person and can't make it out in any of my photos, I have no idea if the B2 was an 00 or a 55.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-11-2008, 07:30 AM   #907
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Ahh, right. I know a bit about the volcanic history of SE Queensland/NW NSW thanks to studying it in high school geography, but I haven't a bloody clue with anything Victorian. Was there much activity in these parts?

And you know you want to come and nerd it up with the geology in Royal Park one day.
Geology nerding...

The whole chunk of Victoria from the middle bit westwards is/was a volcanically active region. It goes across into SA... Whole bunch of dormant/extinct volcanoes. Mt Alexander, Mt Franklin (which my parents can see from their house), Mt Macedon, all that stuff. Nothing's really erupted since about 6,000 years ago, but that's not that long ago, geologically speaking. There's still tectonic deformation taking place across the region, so it's still technically active, and the volcanoes are technically dormant, rather than extinct. The prevailing theory at uni was that a hot spot caused most of them (like Hawaii), and if the hot spot has moved on, it's not likely they'll start erupting again. (My dad does like to joke about watching Mt Franklin blow up from a safe distance, though. )
Old 06-11-2008, 07:30 AM   #908
Vocal parasite

Quote:
If this deserves to be on Wikipedia, then BA38 sure does.

List of fictional games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Especially because of the potential consequences of the investigation.

Yeah, I'm an inclusionist when it comes to Wikipedia content. BA 38 got saved precisely for the reason you mention; the potential consequences guaranteed it notability.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-11-2008, 07:32 AM   #909
Blue Crack Supplier

I'll start off with the pick of the photos i took at the.....ugh...Warriors on Friday.

Stadium shot from the north-east corner.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:33 AM   #910
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisaura View Post
Geology nerding...

The whole chunk of Victoria from the middle bit westwards is/was a volcanically active region. It goes across into SA... Whole bunch of dormant/extinct volcanoes. Mt Alexander, Mt Franklin (which my parents can see from their house), Mt Macedon, all that stuff. Nothing's really erupted since about 6,000 years ago, but that's not that long ago, geologically speaking. There's still tectonic deformation taking place across the region, so it's still technically active, and the volcanoes are technically dormant, rather than extinct. The prevailing theory at uni was that a hot spot caused most of them (like Hawaii), and if the hot spot has moved on, it's not likely they'll start erupting again. (My dad does like to joke about watching Mt Franklin blow up from a safe distance, though. )
I know I've seen the occasional news article about "minor earthquake reported in Victoria". I wasn't aware that the volcanoes here are technically dormant; when I think of dormant volcanoes, I think of the ones in New Zealand on fault lines that could go all Mount Ruapehu on us at any moment if they felt like it. I recall that all the volcanoes we studied around SE QLD were extinct, but then that might have just been a high school over-simplification: "there's no fault lines here so they must be extinct!"

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-11-2008, 07:35 AM   #911
Vocal parasite

Quote:
I'll start off with the pick of the photos i took at the.....ugh...Warriors on Friday.

Stadium shot from the north-east corner.
Nice. I'm trying to work on my night photography, but most of it either ends up too dark with blurred, indistinct lights, or shitloads of digital noise.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-11-2008, 07:35 AM   #912
Vocal parasite

This was my first confirmed 00 sighting. Rock on, Z3 154.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-11-2008, 07:37 AM   #913
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Nice. I'm trying to work on my night photography, but most of it either ends up too dark with blurred, indistinct lights, or shitloads of digital noise.
Yeah. The only time i get decent night photos are under stadium floodlights. Oddly enough, this shot is blurred.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:37 AM   #914
Vocal parasite

Z3 209 with its distinctive white bumper and an unidentified Z3 cross.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-11-2008, 07:38 AM   #915
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
This was my first confirmed 00 sighting. Rock on, Z3 154.

I love how utterly serene it feels around the tram tracks. It reminds me of this mini-train place my parents used to take me to when i was young, it would ride around though some park, i believe.

It's how some of the tram locations feel.

Tags
superthread