Kinsey Scale for Sexuality - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Rate Yourself on the Kinsey Scale
0 - exclusively heterosexual 38 54.29%
1 - predominantly heterosexual, incidentally homosexual 22 31.43%
2 - predominantly heterosexual, but more than incidentally homosexual 6 8.57%
3 - equally heterosexual and homosexual 1 1.43%
4 - predominantly homosexual, but more than incidentally heterosexual 0 0%
5 - predominantly homosexual, incidentally heterosexual 2 2.86%
6 - exclusively homosexual 1 1.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2002, 07:37 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:17 PM
Kinsey Scale for Sexuality

Okay, everyone. Here's a poll for you all. Rate your sexuality on Alfred Kinsey's famous 1940s scale, which was the first time that science saw sexuality beyond rigid gay/straight archetypes.

Plus, now with the advent of forum polls, we can ask this anonymously. So be honest!

Also, this isn't necessarily a gauge of just sexual activity. This must be kept in mind:

fantasies dreams thoughts

frequency of sexual activities emotional feelings

So answer away!

Melon

Old 07-17-2002, 07:46 PM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Um, I think people are too scared to reply/vote.

What does "incidentally homosexual/heterosexual" supposed to mean? Like at one time you had an incident?

Old 07-17-2002, 07:48 PM   #3
War Child

Local Time: 06:17 PM

i'm as straight as they come!....no doubt here!....the likely-hood of me being attracted to another female is the same as me being attracted to a dog. lol.

interesting thread, melon! [i'm guessing the 1st vote was yours...if ya don't mind me askin' (?)]
Old 07-17-2002, 07:48 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

"Incidentally" means that you have had fleeting thoughts for someone of the same sex, but have never really given it serious thought. Hence, you are, for all intensive purposes, straight.

100% straight means that you've never once found yourself turned on sexually by someone of the same sex. Why should people be scared? It's anonymous.

Melon
Old 07-17-2002, 07:51 PM   #5
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Do famous people count?

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
"Incidentally" means that you have had fleeting thoughts for someone of the same sex, but have never really given it serious thought. Hence, you are, for all intensive purposes, straight.
Old 07-17-2002, 07:53 PM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor

wink *wonders if sis means *coughsgwencoughs*

Ah, ok, that's what I thought it meant.
Old 07-17-2002, 07:54 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

beLIEve

People LIE!
Old 07-17-2002, 07:54 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:17 PM
I think they do Sicy.

nice poll. I voted.
Old 07-17-2002, 07:57 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Let me elaborate:

0 - Never once have thought about anyone of the same sex sexually.

1 - Have found yourself thinking about someone of the same sex sexually, but have never acted on it, and 90% of the time, find yourself attracted to people of the opposite sex. This can include finding yourself attracted to same sex celebrities here and there.

2 - You are thinking about the same sex more than just fleetingly, but are still mostly straight and attracted to the opposite sexually.

3 - You swing all ways -- 100% bisexual.

4 - You are thinking about the opposite sex more than just fleetingly, but are still mostly gay and attracted to the same sex sexually.

5 - Have found yourself thinking about someone of the opposite sex sexually, but have never acted on it, and 90% of the time, find yourself attracted to people of the same sex. This can include finding yourself attracted to opposite sex celebrities here and there.

6 - Never once have thought about anyone of the opposite sex sexually.

Does this help?

Melon
Old 07-17-2002, 08:35 PM   #10
The Fly

While I think the Kinsey scale has its faults, it is great at making clear a very important factor when in comes to understanding sexual labling -- that these stereotypes are in fact fictions that we inscribe upon our bodies through a performance. Most people readily admit that they do not fall into the 1 or 6 categories, demonstrating that they cannot be considered purely heterosexual of homosexual, which makes these problematic identities. Yet, one also cannot conclude that everyone is bisexual, since in most cases "bisexuals" do have a sexual preference. It is actually the behaviours and thoughts that people make public information is what determines which label they fall under, and these identites did not actualy exist until modern history. We all know that same sex practices existed during the time of the greeks, but in a different style than they do today. Then it was a part of an educational system which we now term as pedagogic eros, the older dominant male was the penetrator and the younger penetrated. However, with age the males took the assetive sexual role, and if they did not, then their behavior was considered abnormal. As for Anglo-American culture, our sexual epistemology has change throughout the years. Pre-Victoria same sex practices were common in the Aristocracy, but peope were just people, and though sodomy was a sin, people were not considered sodomites. They performed acts of sodomy. And everyone was implicated because of that fateful day in the garden of eden. It wasn't until large cities began to develop, which allowed more people with an affinity for same sex practices to get in touch with each other, that sexality actually entered medico-legal discourse. When this occurred doctors started formulating the idea of the sexual invert, a term that was label homosexual in the year 1869 by an Austrian doctor (whose name i cannot remember right now). This is when sexual labels actually began to describe a certain kind of person. In fact, the homosexual preceeded the idea of the heterosexual, who actually depends upon his defiled homosexual for his identity. Early in the twentieth century, medial research (such as the Kinsey report) on the topic started to uncover the grey areas of these labels and received a conservative backlash, and lost much funding. I guess what I'm trying to say is that we need a revised version of the medieval epistemology on the topic, since people are people, and who I choose to have sex with shouldn't be such a big factor as to how I am perceived by the rest of society. Sex after all is a private act.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:42 PM   #11
The Fly

might i add, the more that the idea of the homosexual was spread around in medical culture, the more people began to practice that behavior. while trying to stop people from performing such abmoninable acts, the doctors were actually popularizing the practice by exposing more and more people to the idea

see "The Wilde Century" by Alan Sinfield
Old 07-17-2002, 08:43 PM   #12
Refugee

<-- all the way HETEROsexual
Old 07-17-2002, 08:51 PM   #13
The Fly

if that is how you selectively choose from your memories and experiences and present yourself to the public way to go! I'm proud of you! However, it is the things that are left unsaid that are really important
Old 07-17-2002, 09:13 PM   #14
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Sorgie
demonstrating that they cannot be considered purely heterosexual of homosexual,
ok. i know you said "CANNOT be considered...." but, my question is, @ one time/ (or presently) is it believed by some that we ALL are bisexual even if we don't "show" it? (i can't even conceive that....i KNOW i'm straight. lol)
sorry but i find that very laughable!

did i misinterpret?

*wondering*
Old 07-17-2002, 09:21 PM   #15
Banned

Exclusively heterosexual.
I have a weakness for hot male things.

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Well tonight thank God it's them, instead of you...

^^ Life's a bitch, so i became one ^^