Kinsey Scale for Sexuality - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Rate Yourself on the Kinsey Scale
0 - exclusively heterosexual 38 54.29%
1 - predominantly heterosexual, incidentally homosexual 22 31.43%
2 - predominantly heterosexual, but more than incidentally homosexual 6 8.57%
3 - equally heterosexual and homosexual 1 1.43%
4 - predominantly homosexual, but more than incidentally heterosexual 0 0%
5 - predominantly homosexual, incidentally heterosexual 2 2.86%
6 - exclusively homosexual 1 1.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2002, 09:26 PM   #16
The Fly

Local Time: 10:56 PM
for all pragmatic purposes i agree with you, however, i was trying to illustrate that there is no essential nature to human behavior... that it evolves with our along with our concepts... and therefore there is no reason for discrimination because we are all a product of that machine - our common culture, history, heritage - which we are all too often blinded from understanding

you are straight because you identify with this identity that exists outside of you, and you have internalized this stereotype - not that i think there is nothing wrong with that

Freud would say that everyone is bisexual, before him that was inconceivable, I say questions such as that are irrelevant... we are all human... bisexual, like straight and gay, is a POLITICAL IDENTITY, and you are the one which you openly perform

Old 07-17-2002, 10:09 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:56 PM

No matter what Arun says..I will deny this..

DB9

Old 07-17-2002, 11:41 PM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 07:56 AM
Diamond...I think it's time we come out of the closet

I want to wear my heels with pride
Old 07-18-2002, 03:54 AM   #19
Jesus Online

Local Time: 05:56 PM

Clearly then Arun it is time to give those heels back to Diamond and get your own....
Old 07-18-2002, 04:24 AM   #20
Acrobat

Re: everything Sorgie said

Sexual identity is locked in one's gentic makeup, it's not a choice one makes based on sterotypes in which you were raised in. Did you choose to be straight? When your father had that talk with you a few years ago, did he ask you to join a team? I can choose many ways in which I like to be politicaly percieved, but I can not simply flip the switch on my sexuality regardless of how much the meida has been so-called "popularizing the practice." Besides, where is the advantage for one to choose to be homosexual? Anybody can tell you that leading a homosexual lifestlye isnt necessarly the easist life to live. One would deal with discrimination and prejudice that knows no color lines. When you say that there's a connection between the rampant practice of homosexuality in modern times with that of it's awareness - you really don't think closets existed way back when?
Old 07-18-2002, 11:59 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Come on, there has to be more than 38 sexual active people on this forum
Old 07-18-2002, 12:11 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

I am certainly not embarrassed to say that I voted 1. There have been maybe 3 women in my whole life who made my heart pitter-patter though all 3 were straight and I've never been moved to act on it.

I have way more gay & lesbian friends than straight friends.

But it's the men who have the power to actually break my heart.
Old 07-18-2002, 12:56 PM   #23
The Fly

Re: Re: everything Sorgie said

Quote:
Originally posted by Calvin N. Hobbes
Sexual identity is locked in one's gentic makeup, it's not a choice one makes based on sterotypes in which you were raised in.
to say hat sexualy identiy is locked in one's genetic makeup is confusing several things....
1. I do not disagree that genetic makeup effects sexual behavior... but theorists agree, that like all genetic factors, if there is one, it is for a potential. it is the combination of nature and nurture which ultimately effects ones sexual behaviors.
2.there is a defference between sexual identity and sexual behavior, men wo had sex with men before stone wall were "homosexuals" or "of the oscar wilde type." that was their sexual identity, characterized by secrecy. After Stonewall there was a shift in identity for men who had "same sex passion". Now, people could be gay, essentially a public "homosexual", and this is when the media really grasped onto the idea, and made it a somewhat acceptable behavior
3. there is a portion of the gay community which thinks that nature vs. nurture is a question that should not be discussed...
remember a couple ofyears ago when that gay medical researcher "proved" that there were differences in the brains of gay and straigh men? well, his father was a conservative poltician, and in response to the discovery, he said that he considers is son like soeone wit down's syndrome -- to say it is purely genetic causes us to run into the problem that it could be a "disorder" or "disease"

4. as to the question as to whether the closet existed before modern times? hell YES! the closet is an essential part to human nature. it is whatever is left unsaid, and there i no way that anyone can full communicate their "personal experience." it's just at different times in history people have looked at different aspects of the closet.

5. oh yeah, i forgot -- sexual identity is a choice, there are many men who consider hemselves straight, yet have lots of sex with other men -- sexual activity is also a choice, you can always say no -- desire?, well, maybe that's where the genetics get involved with that tricky relationship with culture
Old 07-18-2002, 01:00 PM   #24
BAW
The Flower

okay, I'll admit it...I voted 1. I've never been attracted to a female "in real life" but I have crushes on female celebrities all the time. I don't know if I could ever act on it but I find certain females very attractive.

I do predomintenly love men and could never go without a certain "feature" they provide
Old 07-18-2002, 01:01 PM   #25
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

yeppers, me too

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife
okay, I'll admit it...I voted 1. I've never been attracted to a female "in real life" but I have crushes on female celebrities all the time. I don't know if I could ever act on it but I find certain females very attractive.

I do predomintenly love men and could never go without a certain "feature" they provide
Old 07-18-2002, 02:28 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

I picked 0

do dooooo dooooooooooo
Old 07-18-2002, 08:37 PM   #27
Refugee

Local Time: 05:56 PM
ok I am going to be honest here (now I dont know why I am, but anyway) and say that I went with option 3. I dont really consider myself bi-sexual but I have had flirtations with women and have loved a woman greatly, I guess I see myself as falling in love with someone for who they are and the gender issue is something that is secondary. however all of this aside I love men and for the last year have never had my heart feel so strongly towards someone and yes he is a man. I have many gay and lesbian friends and whilst I have had a relationship with a woman I dont identify with them or their plight or issues- I love being with men, love their bodies and if you grab one with a great personality, well then you have all bases covered, however where I am concerned I know that it is possible to fall in love with someone of the same sex
Old 07-19-2002, 02:00 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:56 AM
Old 07-19-2002, 07:30 PM   #29
Refugee

originally read the title of this thread as "Kinky Scale for Sexuality"
Old 07-20-2002, 03:18 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Sorgie brings up interesting points. I'm putting in my two cents:

Quote:
. there is a portion of the gay community which thinks that nature vs. nurture is a question that should not be discussed...remember a couple ofyears ago when that gay medical researcher "proved" that there were differences in the brains of gay and straigh men? well, his father was a conservative poltician, and in response to the discovery, he said that he considers is son like soeone wit down's syndrome -- to say it is purely genetic causes us to run into the problem that it could be a "disorder" or "disease
This is what bothers me. We have these idealized view of genetics--black-and-white, "normal" and "abnormal." Quite honestly, I have grappled on the question and homosexuality could very well be genetic, but no more "abnormal" than left-handedness. The straight world likes cast their stones at times, but homosexuals are quite happy with themselves, minus the ridicule from the straight world. But that is straight society's fault, no one else's.

Melon