Kings Of Leon in VW Ad. Franz Ferdinand in a Sony Playstation Ad. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2005, 09:22 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:44 PM
this is a most interesting thread.

Old 03-29-2005, 10:32 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1
I'd just like to keep a list, so when some indie kid gets all self-richeous about U2 doing an ad(which they took no money for) I can give him a complete list of bands he can't like for ethical reasons.

Like The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Queen...
Actually I have been wondering about something MrBrau1.... Why are you so up in arms about "indie kids?" I mean, by definition it's a tiny group (if it was a very large group, they would be called "mainstream kids"), so I can't help but wonder what's your deal. Did you get beaten up by a roving pack of indie kids when you were in school or something?

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96
this is a most interesting thread
'tis indeed.

Old 03-30-2005, 07:13 AM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra

Actually I have been wondering about something MrBrau1.... Why are you so up in arms about "indie kids?" I mean, by definition it's a tiny group (if it was a very large group, they would be called "mainstream kids"), so I can't help but wonder what's your deal. Did you get beaten up by a roving pack of indie kids when you were in school or something?

'tis indeed.
No. I was in a band in NYC for 5 years. We played all kinds of nasty/nice clubs in NY, CT, NJ, and PA. We played with all kinds of bands, and met tons of people. Many of them were great, some weren't. We talked alot about music. The 'indie kid' was the worst of the bunch. They always thought they had incredible "cred." They were cutting edge. Having the latest "hot band" was essential, until someone who wasn't cool had that same album, at that point the band had sold out. There were more rules involved with the indie kids than the preps in high school.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:05 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
Must be nice to be so richeous.
Yeah, and as an added bonus we can spell...

Bah-ZING!

Old 03-31-2005, 05:19 AM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:44 PM
The commercials thing still bothers me, especially when you know the artist doesn't need it. With something like the Rolling Stones, you know Jagger's a capitalist pig anyway so it can't get to you, but seeing Bowie doing stuff bugs me because I respect the guy so much as an artist. I also think $ting is truly pathetic for not only doing ads, but then making an ad that makes fun of artists doing ads. Make all the jokes you want, but you're still a sellout, bitch.

I have no reservations calling Franz Ferdinand or whatever hot new band sellouts--it's not like they're struggling artists. They've done VERY well for how long they've been in the business, and rushing for the money so quickly is really sad.

What doesn't bother me is when a band has been around for a while but never really hit it big gets their song in a commercial, like Velocity Girl getting "Sorry Again" in a Volkswagen ad. If you don't know who they are it just explains my point.

It's not that I won't listen to bands who do commercials, I'm just not going to have the same level of respect. U2 doing the iPod ad was a bit sketchy, but it's hard to point fingers when you know they didn't take any money, and have been SO involved with the company and interested in its technological advances.

laz
Old 04-07-2005, 08:17 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:44 PM
Janes Addiction- The Mountain Song in a Coors Light commercial. Perry is being cursed and copies of Nothing's Shocking are burning.

Tags
franz ferdinand, kings of leon