Kings Of Leon in VW Ad. Franz Ferdinand in a Sony Playstation Ad.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I were a musician, I'd love to have my music in a VW ad. But probably no one else.

Melon

The VW ad that featured Nick Drake's Pink Moon was originally going to have Under the Milky Way by The Church. Would have been a welcome payday for them.... :(

indra said:
The VW ad that featured Nick Drake's Pink Moon was originally going to have Under the Milky Way by The Church. Would have been a welcome payday for them.... :(

Sorry for being off-topic but I still haven't gotten over the fact that you dislike 90s U2 and esp. Achtung.

Flaming Lips in a Mitsubishi Ad.

Von Bondies in a Ford Ad.

The Vines in a Nissan Ad.

The Walkmen in a Saturn Ad.

Last edited:
Zootlesque said:

Sorry for being off-topic but I still haven't gotten over the fact that you dislike 90s U2 and esp. Achtung.

:D I do like freaking people out. :)

Well, Mr Brau, The Church won't be sell outs... no matter how hard they try.... :( :wink:

That's pitiful...when the band you love can be sellouts 'cause nobody wants them....

I'd just like to keep a list, so when some indie kid gets all self-richeous about U2 doing an ad(which they took no money for) I can give him a complete list of bands he can't like for ethical reasons.

Like The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Queen...

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:
I'd just like to keep a list, so when some indie kid gets all self-richeous about U2 doing an ad(which they took no money for) I can give him a complete list of bands he can't like for ethical reasons.

Like The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Queen...

Although how many of them a.) took money for the ad? b.) had all band members alive when said ad was made. c.) were very popular/at their peak when ad was made?

MrBrau1 said:

You know, I don't think for many bands, especially the smaller ones, that allowing their music in ads is an easy decision. Sometimes it's necessity. So what might be selling out for one band is mere survival for another. I don't think it's a completely black and white situation.

A section of an interview below might give some insight into the thought that, at least sometimes, goes into such decisions.

(HS is heatherspace, the interviewer and SK is Steve Kilbey, the interviewee. Entire interview here

HS: Here's a question about Dylan, because I don't know if you're aware of this -- he is now in a Victoria's Secret commercial here in the States...

SK: Yeah, I haven't seen it, but I've read about it...

HS: How do you feel about that?

SK: You know, I was just going to say before you asked me that question, I was going to say of course, from time to time, Dylan has, and does still, succumb to this fucking thing where he listens to someone -- "You should be in this film Hearts of Fire, Bob", "You should sing in "We Are the World", Bob", "You should be in Victoria's-Principle-Secret, Bob." He does it and then he looks the fucking idiot. Luckily, he has such a massive amount of merit built up that I guess he has a little bit of credibility to spare.

HS: Having seen the commercial, I can honestly say it's quite disturbing.

SK: Is it?

HS: Oh, yeah.

SK: And he couldn't need the money either.

HS: Exactly! The story goes that back in the sixties he was asked if he would ever lend his music to any advertisements, and he said the only way he would do it is if it was selling women's underwear --

SK: Aha!

HS: And then sure enough, forty years later, there it is.

SK: Wow.

HS: So you don't know if he's being tongue-in-cheek about it, or if it's about the money. There's a CD, too.

SK: Or he wanted to fulfill his own prophecy. I think that might nicely -- I mean, the effect is ghastly, but the symmetry of it might -- that would certainly appeal to me, if I had made a prediction and I could be the only one to --

HS: Fulfill it.

SK: Right. [Pause] As you can gather, the Church -- me and the Church -- we're fiercely into this idea of what used to be called credibility [both laugh]. I hate to see people doing things like that.

HS: So what is your position on selling your song to use in a commercial, period? Is it something you're against, or do you think it's a good way to expose people to music that they might not otherwise hear?

SK: [deep breath] It's a very loaded question. There's some great things about it, and some evil things about it. [Pause] Yeah, I agree with your options. It does expose people to things they never would have heard, but also, used in the wrong commercial, can really belittle the music, and ruin your reputation a bit. So you've got to be careful. I think the VW ad would have been nice for us; I don't think I would have objected to that. [Referring to the now famous Volkswagen ad, which was originally to feature "Under the Milky Way" before its makers opted for Nick Drake's "Pink Moon."] But if someone wanted to use...I guess it depends on how broke I was, to tell you the truth, because if somebody terrible rang up and said look, here's a load of money to use "Under the Milky Way", I guess I might have to say... Um, sometimes you just have to match your principles up with your cash flow. I guess that's what happens with a lot of these guys who do the circuits, you know? They don't really want to do it, but it's the only thing they can do to earn money.

MrBrau1 said:

Actually I have been wondering about something MrBrau1.... Why are you so up in arms about "indie kids?" I mean, by definition it's a tiny group (if it was a very large group, they would be called "mainstream kids"), so I can't help but wonder what's your deal. Did you get beaten up by a roving pack of indie kids when you were in school or something? :wink:

Originally posted by Zoomerang96
this is a most interesting thread

'tis indeed.

indra said:

Actually I have been wondering about something MrBrau1.... Why are you so up in arms about "indie kids?" I mean, by definition it's a tiny group (if it was a very large group, they would be called "mainstream kids"), so I can't help but wonder what's your deal. Did you get beaten up by a roving pack of indie kids when you were in school or something? :wink:

'tis indeed.

No. I was in a band in NYC for 5 years. We played all kinds of nasty/nice clubs in NY, CT, NJ, and PA. We played with all kinds of bands, and met tons of people. Many of them were great, some weren't. We talked alot about music. The 'indie kid' was the worst of the bunch. They always thought they had incredible "cred." They were cutting edge. Having the latest "hot band" was essential, until someone who wasn't cool had that same album, at that point the band had sold out. There were more rules involved with the indie kids than the preps in high school.

The commercials thing still bothers me, especially when you know the artist doesn't need it. With something like the Rolling Stones, you know Jagger's a capitalist pig anyway so it can't get to you, but seeing Bowie doing stuff bugs me because I respect the guy so much as an artist. I also think $ting is truly pathetic for not only doing ads, but then making an ad that makes fun of artists doing ads. Make all the jokes you want, but you're still a sellout, bitch.

I have no reservations calling Franz Ferdinand or whatever hot new band sellouts--it's not like they're struggling artists. They've done VERY well for how long they've been in the business, and rushing for the money so quickly is really sad.

What doesn't bother me is when a band has been around for a while but never really hit it big gets their song in a commercial, like Velocity Girl getting "Sorry Again" in a Volkswagen ad. If you don't know who they are it just explains my point.

It's not that I won't listen to bands who do commercials, I'm just not going to have the same level of respect. U2 doing the iPod ad was a bit sketchy, but it's hard to point fingers when you know they didn't take any money, and have been SO involved with the company and interested in its technological advances.

laz

Janes Addiction- The Mountain Song in a Coors Light commercial. Perry is being cursed and copies of Nothing's Shocking are burning.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom