Kings of Leon.... anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigloader

The Fly
Well, it took me a long time and tons of listens to get a feel for these guys but Kings of Leon have definitely become one of my favorite bands. It's strange b/c i hated them at first, but the more I listened the more I loved their stuff. Any other fans here?

Also, I know that they have a very unique sound, but are there any other bands that are remotely similar or that anyone could suggest to me since I like K.O.L.? I love finding new stuff to listen to!

I don't know why they got so much hate thrown at them in this forum - probably because they were loud and scary to a lot of U2 fans but I enjoy them from time to time.

I really like their albums. They opened for Bob Dylan and sounded much better and more confident than when they opened for U2.

However, the new stuff they played sounded a little, well, mellower than the old stuff. I wasn't sure I liked it. We'll see what happens when any new record comes out.

Fabulous band, probably my favourite around at the moment. Can't wait for the new album, supposed to be this spring.

They do have a very unique sound. Calebs husky voice is is excellent i think, although not to everyones taste. I've heard a couple of the new songs and they do seem a bit slower than normal but i like that because they're progressing and they can't just be lumped in with every other indie band that is flavour of the month for a short period then dissapears back to obscurity. Matt's guitar work on one of the songs is excellent (although i can't tell you the name of the song because it's from some bootleg recorded in chicago and goes by the rather unhelpful name of 'New Song').

They had a decent debut album, but a really excellent follow-up...they progressed quite a bit in such a short period of time...my favourite song is 'Milk' which I don't think many people have ever agreed with me on:reject:

LJT said:
They had a decent debut album, but a really excellent follow-up...they progressed quite a bit in such a short period of time...my favourite song is 'Milk' which I don't think many people have ever agreed with me on:reject:

Milk is :drool:

:up: to you sir!

Why think you sir!

Anyway I will be interested in how the new album turns out, honestly I can see these guys being around for a good long while, just have a feeling they can keep changing things up....it was probably handy that they were never really brought up with music except hymns and church music, everything is still very new to them and they aren't reliant on any musical preconceptions in making their own music.

Canadiens1160 said:
I don't know why they got so much hate thrown at them in this forum - probably because they were loud and scary to a lot of U2 fans but I enjoy them from time to time.

:up:

I don't like their down-tempo stuff, but their faster songs are a lot of fun. The Bucket? Molly's Chambers? Awesome!

But they were a little hard on the ears in the indoor arenas on the tour, I have to admit.

1stepcloser said:
Fabulous band, probably my favourite around at the moment. Can't wait for the new album, supposed to be this spring.

They do have a very unique sound. Calebs husky voice is is excellent i think, although not to everyones taste. I've heard a couple of the new songs and they do seem a bit slower than normal but i like that because they're progressing and they can't just be lumped in with every other indie band that is flavour of the month for a short period then dissapears back to obscurity. Matt's guitar work on one of the songs is excellent (although i can't tell you the name of the song because it's from some bootleg recorded in chicago and goes by the rather unhelpful name of 'New Song').

Good to hear that someone agrees with me...

Where did you get a chance to hear some of their new songs? Is there anywhere that I can find a way to listen to them? I'm really looking forward to hearing their new album.

Bonochick said:
I think they're awesome. I just have one album though. :)

Which album? You should really listen to both of them. they're fantastic. Also, get the song "Wicker Chair"... one of my favorites.

bigloader said:

Good to hear that someone agrees with me...

Where did you get a chance to hear some of their new songs? Is there anywhere that I can find a way to listen to them? I'm really looking forward to hearing their new album.

My mate sent me them over MSN but i'm back at uni now and the new songs are on my computer at home. They might be floating about on limewire (i haven't checked though).

I saw them live 3 times in 2005 and they were ace every time, especially at the Reading Festival. I've got big hopes for the new album, i know it's called 'Because Of The Times'. The future is bright for them cos the drummer Nathan is the only one who's over 25 i think so they've got many more years left in them. Bono even said that one day it might be U2 supporting KOL!

1stepcloser said:

My mate sent me them over MSN but i'm back at uni now and the new songs are on my computer at home. They might be floating about on limewire (i haven't checked though).

I saw them live 3 times in 2005 and they were ace every time, especially at the Reading Festival. I've got big hopes for the new album, i know it's called 'Because Of The Times'. The future is bright for them cos the drummer Nathan is the only one who's over 25 i think so they've got many more years left in them. Bono even said that one day it might be U2 supporting KOL!

I would really like to hear what the new ones sound like. My curiosity is piqued. Would you happen to know the titles of any of them?

One of them is called "I'm on call". That's the only one that i know the title of. Like i said earlier, one of my fave's doesn't have a title as of yet.

In any case i'm not too bothered about hearing any more as it could spoil the enjoyment of the album when it comes out.

Couldnt agree more. I actually got sick of defending them when they were opening. I love both albums. I have burned them times over and handed them to people whi I thought to have an open mind about music. Cant wait for the new album..

VELVET SNOW:rockon:

People always talk about the 'difficult second album' but i was very impressed with how they managed to better the first one imo.

Aha Shake Heartbreak from start to finish is a great album. King Of The Rodeo is :drool:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I like them, but I don't think they were ready for the big arenas when opening for U2.

Good enough point. That's a tough slot to fill, isn't it?

I remember how much I loved Lone Justice on the opening leg of JT and yet understood how hard that spot was on a band.

I've since seen KOL at a much smaller show and really loved that.

with out doubt they are in my top 5 fav bands over the past 2 years or so! i was one of the very few who defended them on these forums! for me Youth Young and Manhood is my favourite ever debut album from any artist! aha shake heartbreak was also great!

New record absolutely rocks.

Rolling Stone says:

They don't make seven-minute doomed-teen-lover melodramas like the Kings of Leon's "Knocked Up" anymore. This is the Tennessee band's big album-opening saga, building from quiet to loud with guitar licks that sound like the Edge fried in okra, with ominous thunderclap drumrolls. Caleb Followill chokes on his story: He and his cowgirl are gonna have a baby, her mama don't like it, they don't care, they're hitting the road in a Coupe de Ville, no doubt just one step ahead of The Man. "I've taken all I've had to take/This takin's gonna shake me," Caleb declares with his usual throaty passion, gunning for the border as the guitars weave between U2 and Uriah Heep. Car + girl + lots and lots of guitar = "Knocked Up." Kings of Leon make it sound so simple -- and so funny -- they make you forget how many other bands go soft trying to run this same road.

It's an excellent opener to an excellent third album from the Kings. Because of the Times, named after a Southern preachers' conference that the boys used to attend with their Pentecostal minister father, is a whole album full of songs inspired by the only topic the Kings seem to care about: no-good women, the kind who turn nice country boys into thieves, fugitives or corpses, and make them love every sordid second of it. These are sons of the preacher man: singer-guitarist Caleb, bassist Jared and drummer Nathan are brothers, while cousin Matthew plays lead guitar. The Followills grew up living in a car with their defrocked itinerant minister daddy, Leon, and they basically went into the same business, except they've got sticky fingers for sin. On anthemic shitkickers like "Black Thumbnail," "My Party" and "On Call," they flare up like Black Oak Arkansas on a jag with the Ozark Mountain Daredevils and the Amazing Rhythm Aces.

When the Kings first arrived on the garage-rock scene a few years ago, they whipped up so much interest right away, nobody really minded that they weren't any good. Their Grizzly Adams beards, their Bible-thumping family background -- it all fed into their fans' Huck Finn fantasy of unspoiled backwoods boogie. Well, the back story was cute for about five minutes, but the songs didn't get the job started until their second album, the stunning (and sorely underrated) Aha Shake Heartbreak. From the sounds of the record, the Kings had met a few girls on the road and gotten their asses handed to them. There were all sorts of new energy and wit in the Strokes-Skynyrd music as the Kings unloaded their fantastic groupie tales -- the girl in "Soft" would paint your toes and let her "perfect nipples" show, while the girl in "Milk" had an hourglass body and lent you her toothbrush.

Because of the Times is even better -- the band doesn't fuss with any sort of rootsy purism, which is why it gets away with retro moves that would sound soft from anybody else. Matthew Followill keeps getting more expansive dynamics out of his guitar, with salutary Euro influences -- "Charmer" has a driving guitar riff swiped from Wire's "Ex Lion Tamer," probably by way of Blur's "Song 2." "Trunk" has loony, high-lonesome oooohs over some serious swamp-blues guitar murk. Folksy ballads like "Fans" and "The Runner" remind you that the Kings could be as facile as the Black Crowes or Nickelback if they were content to aim that low. Caleb's vocals continue to defy description: Steppenwolf's John Kay after a nad-crushing motorcycle crash? The Band's Richard Manuel with scurvy? Dave Matthews getting ripped apart by wolverines? And did I mention the lyrics? Ridiculous little monsters, they are, fit to get brutally stomped into the dirt, which in fact is exactly how Caleb treats them. How good can the Kings of Leon get? On Because of the Times, they've already gone further than anybody could have guessed.

ROB SHEFFIELD

I honestly believe Kings of Leon will strike it big maybe not with the next record but the one to follow it:shifty:

just picked up the new record yesterday. it is very good. still love aha shake heartbreak a bit more. but then again, it has only been one day so i'm sure after a few more listens my opinion will change...

Back
Top Bottom