Kings of Leon.... anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeh, KOL are great. New album seems cool. Aha Shake Heartbreak is amazing. Nearly very songs could have been a single! Don't know why they got such a hard time here. It seems that many U2 fans preferred seeing Keane and similar rubbish to KOL on the Vertigo Tour.

America's finest band at the moment for me. 3 top drawer albums out of 3. Perhaps this will be the album where they finally make it big in their native land.

i really really like the new album, i just wish he didn't have those screams in charmer :sad:

I've always been impressed by how much KOL has evolved between albums. The songs that appeared on both their debut EP and on Youth and Young Manhood are so much better on the album, and Aha Shake Heartbreak was even better. They're not afraid to reinvent themselves and to grow and change, and I think that will give them staying power.

This album is taking a little longer to grow on me, but after listening to it all again this morning, I'm getting more into it. It's a really different sound from their previous work, but I'm loving the guitars :drool:

ramblin rose said:
I've got my tickets to see them in May at the HOB in Dallas.

I think that would be a better venue to see them in than the big arenas that they played with U2.

To me, they sounded fine on the radio, but in the arenas he really did sound like "Dave Matthews getting ripped apart by wolverines" (I love that line) :lol:.

My favs:

On Call
McFearless
Black Thumbnail (savage, fucking savage tune)
True Love Way
Ragoo
Fans
Arizona (KOL do epic rock?)

Really good stuff. The Cletus who sings is learning how to use his voice, and the guitar player, well, he's fantastic.

And there hanging all that on some nice, surprising affecting songs.

I miss the backwoods boogie thing, but this is a nice step for them.

Last edited:
Anu said:

Odd how my neighbor city Nashville is producing some real important rock bands despite the C&W, singer-songrwriter reputation.

Yeah but they aren't originally from Nashville or the area, just went there to get signed. They are all from a small town in Oklahoma.

Rolling Stone used the phrase "like the Edge fried in okra," so I'm going to have to give that review the win :wink:

I'm glad to see a positive review, though. I feel like way too many people around here bash KOL.

I'm going to see them this thursday:drool:

They're really popular here in england so the crowd will be well up for it. their album is currently on it's 2nd week at number 1.

KOL :rockon:

Can't wait for them to belt out Black Thumbnail and Charmer.

I've got tix to see KOL in Chicago on the 19th of May!!!!!!!

WOO HOO i'm gonna push my tiny body as close to the stage as a I possibly can!

'Because of the Times' is the album of the year for me thus far (with 'Favourite Worst Nightmare' running in 2nd place)

Kings of Leon kick all kinds of ass end of story...

As a reviewer, I like to read the RS feature review every time as a kind of study guide.

That KOL piece, of course, is one of the better ones, so I tried to wipe it from my mind as I penned mine.

But thanks for the props, y'all. Sometimes Carrie and I wonder if anyone is really reading our new Intermedia column.

If anyone of you posters want to dig in as one of our writers, give a shout.

It's volunteer labor, but fame and occasional free things await you.

I read the reviews quite often, and they are pretty useful and add a different dimension to Interference.

I particularly The Black Angels gig review, one of my current favourite bands:up:

umm I've considered voluteering myself to do reviews but i've never really reviewed anything before:reject:

Not been back long from the gig. amazing band. really. tore the place down.

opened the show with Black Thumbnail. couldn't have asked for a better opener :rockon:

KIngs of Leon last night were amazing! really are just about the best band around at the mo!

and they did not even play my fav 3 songs from the new album ragoo, true love way and fans

MrBrau1 said:
My favs:

On Call
McFearless
Black Thumbnail (savage, fucking savage tune)
True Love Way
Ragoo
Fans
Arizona (KOL do epic rock?)

Really good stuff. The Cletus who sings is learning how to use his voice, and the guitar player, well, he's fantastic.

And there hanging all that on some nice, surprising affecting songs.

I miss the backwoods boogie thing, but this is a nice step for them.

Allright, add "The Runner" to my list of favs.

still can't stand "Charmer" or "Knocked Up". Oh well

The whole album is a lightyear jump fo them. I can't stop listening to it.

plus, it's a great sounding record. Very vibrant. There are no real holes in it. Everything just sounds right.

I used to despise Charmer but it's riff is ace and i've learned to live with that squeal. And it fucking rocked when i saw them live.

Relevant magazine just did an interview with these guys. I hadn't been in to them too much before, but the interview made me want to check out more of their stuff. "On Call" is pretty cool.

MSN Music now has the KOL 4/18 Hammersmith Apollo, London concert online for on-demand viewing. Just finished watching it with the sound cranked up on my home stereo. Great show! I really enjoyed seeing the new material played live, as well as the older stuff KOL played opening of U2 in '05.

here's the link...

http://music.msn.com/kingsofleon

tip: the first time viewing the webcast, there's a car commercial interruption every two songs. After the last song, the entire 64 minute concert replays without interruption.

Last edited:
Disregard the tip in my previous post. Track 19 is the full uninterrupted concert. Go straight to that track to skip all the commercials.

U2ITNOL that is a great link. I saw them a few days later on that tour and the memories have all come back! They played "fans" on that video too. sounds ace.

Back
Top Bottom