Kingdom of Heaven - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2005, 06:26 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:28 PM
Jeremy Irons is still incredible, and Liam was too as usual

lol, I pretty much friggin hated Gladiator too

Old 05-09-2005, 11:23 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
In terms of accuracy the film was as accurate (all the characters, with the exception of Godfey of Ibelin existed) as a contemporary historical epic these days is allowed to be, despite having little peeves (such as in real life, King Baldwin had already died before the time in which the movie is set in).
i have since found this out. very insightful post ant.

i'm currently reading up on the different orders of knights involved in the crusades (templar, hospitaller, teutonic).
from occultpedia.com: "The Knights Templar, or Templars, were a military and religious order founded in Jerusalem during the Crusades. ...

Saint Bernard of Clairvaux, head of the Cistercian order of monks, drew up the order's rule, but in 1128 Pope Honorius II officially recognized the Templars as a separate order, conferring on them an unprecedented degree of autonomy: they were responsible only to the Pope and not to secular rulers, were exempt from local taxes and judicial authority, and were solely responsible for clerical appointments. ...

The Templars seal showed two knights on one horse, the story being the first master was so poor that he had to share a horse with one of his followers, but after the fall of the Acre in 1291, when the crusading forces were driven from Palestine, the Templars' main activity became money-lending, and their enormous landholdings and financial strength aroused great hostility and jealousy among rulers and clergy alike. It was rumored that they had abandoned Christianity, that they worshipped a demon called Baphomet, and indulged in a variety of perverted orgiastic and cannibalistic rituals. In 1307, Philip IV of France, in debt to the order, charged the Templars with heresy and immorality. They were arrested and put on trial, and confessions were extracted by torture. Similar attacks were mounted against the order in Spain and England, and Pope Clement V, after initially opposing the trials, suppressed the Knights Templar by papal bull at the Council of Vienne in 1312. When the Grand Master, Jacques de Molay, and other leaders of the Templars retracted their forced confessions and declared their innocence and the innocence of the order, Philip had them burned at the stake at Paris in 1314. The Templars' holdings were dispersed, some going to the Knights Hospitalers and some to secular rulers, although Philip received none. It has been suggested that some leading Templars escaped and founded the Freemasons; another tradition is that Templar survivors founded the Rosicrucians."

i really should have majored in history or something. this stuff is too cool.

Old 05-09-2005, 11:25 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Se7en
lmjhitman, the enigma that is you entices me to no end. is it bad that i equate your, as yet, unknown beauty with that of your avatar? oh god
equate what you wish mr se7en. but be aware that the lovely miho in my avatar is beautiful but deadly.
i, on the other hand, will continue to think of you as a riddle wrapped in a mystery wrapped in a lemon encircled by a shopping cart.

be sure to dream of me tonight.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:28 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Old 05-12-2005, 12:35 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

I'm going this weekend! Gladiator is my absolute favorite. Maybe Kingdom of Heaven will allow me to determine if that has more to do with Russell Crowe or Ridley Scott.

I have no idea how accurate Gladiator was. I know about Marcus Aurelius and if I'm correct, Gladiator was kind of a mish-mash of pieces of history from that period of time. I thought the religious aspect (or lack thereof) was insightfully accurate.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:54 PM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 07:28 PM
I loved Gladiator, and it was a far better film than Kingdom, but having said that, Gladiator was a substantially less accurate movie. The entire basis of the plot (Marcus Aurelius wanting to bring back the Republic) was unfounded; Marcus Aurelius firmly believed in a monarchy and wanted Commodus to succeed him.

There are more, which I won't go into because, ultimately, 'Gladiator' kicks ass.

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 05-13-2005, 12:18 PM   #22
She's the One

Local Time: 11:28 AM
Quote:
'Gladiator' kicks ass.
It does.

But then, anything with Russell Crowe in a skirt has all I want.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:39 PM   #23
Refugee

Quote:
ut then, anything with Russell Crowe in a skirt has all I want.
Hrm... did you see him in Master and Commander? Though not a skirt, what nice hair he had. Yes, thats the word, 'nice'.

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 05-14-2005, 04:43 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I saw it today. After a slew of underwhelming "epics" in the last couple of years I went in with minimum expectations and as a result I enjoyed it even though it wasn't great. I really think they shot themselves in the foot casting Orlando Bloom as a lead - I've nothing against the guy but he just doesn't have the presence or intensity required for the role. Gladiator had a pretty ordinary script and the sort of solemn, leaden dialogue that plagues epic films of this kind, but damn if Russell Crowe wasn't like a jolt of electricity that kept the movie together. I could totally belive that his character was a guy that other men would follow to their death. Now no one as good-looking as Bloom can be a total waste of time, but he's completely overshadowed whenever he has to share a scene with powerhouses like Liam Neeson or Jeremy Irons or the actor who played Saladin - he was awesome! Edward Norton's leper king was a fascinating, haunting character; wish there was more of him.

Action was well done as befits a Ridley Scott film, but, as my brother put it, after Helm's Deep and Pelennor Fields every big-scale battle looks mmeh in comparison. And although it may be well-intentioned and admirable, IMO it hurts the film when during a battle you're not siding with anyone; there's no real involvement. True, in many war films you're not meant to cheer for anyone, but those films also don't treat warfare in "wow, cool" fashion.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:30 AM   #25
She's the One

Local Time: 11:28 AM
Quote:
did you see him in Master and Commander?
Yep. All fleshy and commanding.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:59 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by AvsGirl41
Clearly, those movie reviewers haven't picked up a history book in a few years!

The film was very accurate in portraying the Muslims. Saladin really did allow safe passage for Christians out of the city--as opposed to the Christians, who as Orlando's character rightly pointed out, had slaughtered all the Muslims within the city.
The film doesn't mention the fact though that only the Christians who could pay their way out were allowed to leave. Those who couldn't afford the ransom were all sold into slavery. Saladin might have been a chivalrous man, but also a pragmatic who had to pay his troops after all.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:22 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Orlando Bloom