King Kong- Makes Grown Men Cry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought it was too long, in the middle I found myself nodding off a few times- but I was tired too.

The special effects are amazing, I don't want to ruin it for anyone but when they get to the island it is mind blowing. Parts are very gross too. It is not for small kids, I was scared in parts so I think they would be too.

Adrien Brody, eh wasn't feeling it. Jack Black, I don't know what it is about him but I find him riveting on screen, just like I did in School Of Rock. He can even make a 25 ft ape believable, and he is just so entertaining . Naomi Watts looks beautiful, and does a decent job.

It's not LOTR of course, it is what it is. I didn't cry but a few times I felt I might be on the verge. So I'd say it's very good escapism from holiday stress or whatever. It's visually stunning.

the weather was also bad the last couple of days in many parts of the country, maybe that has something to do w/ it

BY ROBERT DOMINGUEZ
NY DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Naomi Watts stars in 'King Kong.'
"King Kong" isn't the king of the box office - yet.

Director Peter Jackson's $207 million remake of the 1933 classic didn't even break the $10 million mark in its first day in theaters.

Opening early Wednesday morning, "Kong" earned $9.7 million in 3,567 theaters nationwide - making it the 21st-best Wednesday opening.

"Spider-Man 2," which holds the record for best Wednesday, made $40 million when it debuted in June 2004.

Universal Studios, "Kong's" distributor, had no comment. But industry analysts expect business to pick up considerably over the weekend.

The grosses "are not up there with some of the lofty expectations, but the bulk of the audience will be coming out on Friday and Saturday," said Gitesh Pandya, editor of boxofficeguru.com.

"Unlike some movies like the 'The Lord of the Rings' [trilogy], there's not much of a built-in audience that needs to see it the first day. There's tons of business ahead for 'Kong.' "

"Titanic," the top-grossing movie of all time with $1.8 billion in ticket sales worldwide, didn't fare particularly well initially, either. It only took in $28.6 million in 2,674 screens during its opening weekend in December 1997.

Box office analyst Paul Dergarabedian said part of the blame for "Kong's" less-than-record-breaking numbers is its lengthy running time - three hours and seven minutes.

"It is a long movie, and that limits the number of showings per day," said Dergarabedian, president of Exhibitor Relations.

"But this is a movie that's going to be around a while, and as the buzz builds, so will the audience."

The other major reason is that school isn't out for vacation yet. Kong was released about a week earlier than the LOTR movies, and that is why it's Wednesday numbers are lower.

This movie is still going to be tremendous, despite its length.

MrsSpringsteen said:
it was down 35 % Thursday from Wednesday

That's actually very promising. Usually Wednesday openers drop 45% to 55% from Wednesday to Thursday. That helps prove that people did not feel the need to see a three hour movie on a weekday. I am really excited to see it but bought Saturday tickets just because it is so damn long and I need to eat, sleep and go to work.

I agree with MrsS--it was too long. But I enjoyed it. The guy I went with cried twice but I didn't come close. :shrug:

I didn't cry - I cried all three times I saw Rent - but I was very moved by Kong, Brody, and Watts... Jack Black made me want to break things, but in such a wonderful way. I loved this movie. Probably my third favorite this season, behind Walk the Line and Rent

It was very entertaining but way too long. I don't think I'd watch it again for a very long time.

Yeah, way too long. Jackson just should have a made a b-movie adventure, instead of attempting to make an epic out of a monster movie. That said, everything on the island was fantastic.

Titanic SUCKED (except for the brilliant effects).
King Kong is a legendary film that is now being brought back by a legendary director. Period.
P.S. If you want to see something more artsy go see Philip Seymore Hoffman in "Capote". Amazing.

there is no way this breaks titanic's record. i just got back from seeing it and everybody leaving the theater was saying it was way too long. and im sorry, but what is sad about this film? i hate leonardo di crapio, but him dying is a lot sadder than a giant killer ape dying.

this ape killed hundreds of people, and we're supposed to be sad when it dies? please, i was cheering.

Chizip said:
and im sorry, but what is sad about this film? i hate leonardo di crapio, but him dying is a lot sadder than a giant killer ape dying.

this ape killed hundreds of people, and we're supposed to be sad when it dies? please, i was cheering.
Guess I don't have to see it now...next time post a spoiler alert....dammit....monkey friggin dies...dammit.

Last edited:
I liked it better than Titanic but I hated Titanic so that doesn't say much...

The middle half of the film should have been cut. I mean I had my head in my sweater that whole time and I'm sure the effects were great but he could have cut Just a bit of the nightmare material. How many gross sucking creatures needed to be on the island :shrug:

The ice rink scene was :cute: but yea I'm a sap and I couldn't see crying in this movie nor did anyone around me.

Flipping channels last night, I came across the last half hour of the 1976 version on AMC (they term this film a "classic"??:huh: ), the scenes where Kong is walking through Manhattan are laughable. Its obviously a guy in a gorilla suit, and he walks like a man, completely upright, no arm motion, doesn't even make an effort to walk with any ape like gait.

redkat said:
[B

The middle half of the film should have been cut. I mean I had my head in my sweater that whole time and I'm sure the effects were great but he could have cut Just a bit of the nightmare material. How many gross sucking creatures needed to be on the island :shrug:

[/B]

I think the beginning and end should have been cut. Only keep the middle. Then you have an outstanding b-movie adventure that is a cross btwn Indiana Jones and Jurassic Park. The beginning and end made it an epic bloatfest.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I loved the ice rink scene, that was my favorite

Saw "King Kong" the other night and that was one of my favorite parts. Personally I thought the movie was very much worth the money! Made me cry at the end too because it was so :sad: Oh and Adriene Brody :drool: :drool:

BonosBaby12 said:

Saw "King Kong" the other night and that was one of my favorite parts. Personally I thought the movie was very much worth the money! Made me cry at the end too because it was so :sad: Oh and Adriene Brody :drool: :drool:

Adrian Brody:drool:

I finally saw this last Thursday and thought it was fantastic film. Great faithful remake with great story and realism. The stampede sequence and escape from Kong had a couple of glitches but Kong looked unbelievable. Kong had no lines, and was CG but conveyed more empathy and compassion than most real life actors in Hollywood. The TRex sequence was awesome, kudos to Peter Jackson.

I wish people would stop comparing this movie to other films like Indiana Jones or Jurassic Park. They all ripped off the original King Kong and movies from that period. It's like when people started criticizing LOTR for stereotyping wizards and elves.

I was really impressed with Naomi Watts, great acting considering she had to imagine everything around her. Actually, they all did a fine job. I wouldn't give it an Oscar for Best Picture but it made my top ten list.

RedrocksU2 said:

btw...did you guys noticed how much weight he has lost?....

871126,h=179,pd=1,w=239.jpg

post-5-1112642390.jpg

...good for him.

yeah,

he has been weighing in weekly

in my:

weight in here --------------> thread

sorry, i can not reveal his user name

Back
Top Bottom