Kind of Blue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Wanderer

Kid A
ok jazz fans, I've been getting into a lot more jazz lately, recommend me some cool jazz artists and cds... what are some essential jazz albums that I should have?

well, you already named the ultimate. what do you like? horn players? pianists? vocalists?
imo, cd's you can't go wrong with:
1. round about midnight/miles davis
2. a love supreme or blue train/john coltrane
3. oscar peterson trio/night train
4. charlie parker/get one of the best of's
5. herbie hancock/maiden voyage
6. wayne shorter/speak no evil
7. bill evans/sunday at the village vanguard
8. billie holiday/strange fruit
9. charles mingus/mingus mingus mingus mingus
10. duke ellington/pretty much anything

:yes: :cool:

Glad to hear it.

From Miles Davis I'd recommend:
Round About Midnight
Cookin' with the Miles Davis Quintet
Steamin' with the Miles Davis Quintet
Miles Smiles
(All amazing albums, the first 3 have a sound much like Kind Of Blue)

The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out (One of my very favorite Jazz albums, I feel it is somewhat of a sister album to Kind of Blue)

John Coltrane - Blue Trane, A Love Supreme

Sonny Rollins - Saxaphone Collosus

Allmusic.com helps me out anytime I get stuck and want some new Jazz to listen to.

Get "Ultimate Oscar Peterson" (a compilation). Two tracks stand out in particular: "Sometimes I'm Happy" and "Blues for Big Scotia." I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Blue In Green - Miles Davis
Tricotism - J.J. Jackson
Heavy Weather- Weather Report
Desafinado - Stan Getz
Yardbird Suite - Charlie Parker
Boplicity - Miles Davis
anything by Count Basie
Time Out - Dave Brubeck
Time Further Out - Dave Brubeck
Naima - Oscar Peterson
Body and Soul - Coleman Hawkins
anything by Dizzy Gillespie

These albums should help you get a great start on your jazz collection. I could list a ton more, but I don't have enough space here!

I forgot about In A Silent Way and Bitches' Brew - both awesome works by Miles Davis.

Last edited:
thanks for the recommendations, I'll get on that right away...

Talented Mr. Ripley? decent film, most didnt like it, the ending redeemed the film for me (that and Cate Blanchet was gorgeous, though you didnt get to see enough of her)

i liked that movie.....although it was totally not what i expected.....i thought it was really interesting......

yet i was very :eyebrow:

here you guys are talking about "The Talented Mr.Ripley" and none of you have mentioned CHET BAKER!! That guy is amazing... though of course not for everyone. I would recommend "The Best of Chet Baker Sings".

Other favourites... Billy Holiday, Stan Getz, Nina Simone, Dizzie Gillespie... and you already found Miles.

Never forget Mr. Sinatra. Jazzman he is.

and for the contemporary soul, I am starting to like Diana Krall. She's from me island.

Angel said:
here you guys are talking about "The Talented Mr.Ripley" and none of you have mentioned CHET BAKER!! That guy is amazing... though of course not for everyone. I would recommend "The Best of Chet Baker Sings".

Chet was great. Sort of tragic character, though...

Everybody has some great suggestions here. For something different, try Miles Davis' Sketches of Spain.

I havent listened to a lot of jazz for a while, and most of my favourites have already been mentionned...

Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out (I would have said it was Miles-ish but it is very very cool, and of course it has Take Five)

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain

Weather Report - Heavy Weather

For something a bit more modern, I quite enjoy the guitarist Pat Metheny and his various projects.
For a time I also enjoyed some of the combinations styles, eg. Latin Jazz, not so sure now though.

On Bitches Brew, we have the complete sessions version, which comes in a beautiful presentation box, its rather cool too :)

Back
Top Bottom