Kid in a candy store!!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OzAurora

Refugee
The Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
Today on my way home from Brisbane, I stopped off at this shopping centre that was on the way home, I have never been there before, but I came across the best independant cd shop I have ever come across, everything was soooooooooooo cheap, I was like a kid in a candy store, good thing I got some tutoring work, so I can validate my purchases:wink:

so I bought,

Coldplay- a rush of blood to the head $19
Madonna- the immaculate collection $10

and I am going back tomorrow to collect
Neil Young- after the goldrush $10
U2- October $15
dire straits- the one with tunnel of love on it $10

and I am going to buy some more cheap cds, anyone own Aphex Twin's 'Come to Daddy? they had that there for $7, I dont like that particular song, but I do enjoy most of his stuff, is the rest of the album any good????????????

just be careful...it adds up

wow...here 19 bucks is not considered cheap for a cd.

Oz do you have ANY idea how expensive that Aphex Twin is in HMV?!?!?! The drugged hippy told me it was was going to be over $40 for the import as it was only available from o/s. I'd say buy it but I also want to offer you the money to ship it down to Syd for me :shifty:
:wink:

I ...am envious.
:sigh:

Cd's here are around $35 normally iwb, so these are bargains.

:angry:

OzAurora said:
and I am going to buy some more cheap cds, anyone own Aphex Twin's 'Come to Daddy? they had that there for $7, I dont like that particular song, but I do enjoy most of his stuff, is the rest of the album any good????????????
yep

the rest doesn't resemble the track Come to Daddy at all
it's more like the rest of his work
even more like his earlier work actually :hmm:

I'm just happy I have forgotten what I paid for it
because it was nowhere near $7

thanks for the reassurance about the Aphex Twin cd, I will buy two copies of it tomorrow- think of it as a birthday pressie Ange, or if you have a credit card or know someone in the know, you could make me a premium member here.....anyway send me an e-mail, so I can get your address ok, $7 bucks for a cd is just way too cheap:wink:

vness60@hotmail.com

usd 35????? thats considered very expensive here in the netherlands (which is quite an expensive country for european standards)

I would guess 35 aussie dollars
which is still about ? 22

so that's about as bad as it is over here

I don't know the money difference but 19 dollars is high for that Coldplay CD. I see it everywhere for 10-12 bucks.

$19 AU is about $14 US now, I think, since the US dollar is so crap this year :mad:. I could be wrong, though, because I don't know how the Australian dollar is doing.

remember to brush your teeth Aurora :D
^candy store reference.
The Australian dollar improved dramatically this year...thank goodness. It slipped slightly recently. I lucked it in when I sent my $12 for this year to Elvis when it was almost at it's peak. I think next year, when/if...us Aussie "snail-mailers" should get together. The money order costs $10, no matter how much or little you send. The lady at the post office gave me a funny look, when I said $12 American dollars please:eyebrow:
Gosh, it sounds like a fun shop, I only have a Sanity store near where I live and their CD's are $30 and Big W have the current Top 20 for $20. One of my girlfriends told me about a good second-hand music store on the main drag at the Gold Coast, but I haven't been there ..yet!

After The Goldrush:heart:

From what I know I think Australia is one of the most expensive countries for cds, I think it is a demand/volume thing (only 20 million people here) and our government puts very high taxes on them, but I must say that it does suck when if you want a more obscure cd then you have to buy it from one of the major stores and will probably be paying around $30-$35, which is probably around the $35-$40 USD, I think the Aussie dollar mark is about 80cents US for 1 Aussie dollar, so a $10 cd or even $19 is very cheap.

I have to laugh as this cd shop was just so cool, for ages I had been trying to find a copy of Joni Mitchells 'Herija' cd, any cd shop that I went past I would look under her section to see if there were any copies of it and I if I found a copy of it, I probably would of payed close to $40 for it, cause I wanted it that badly, so in the end I had to burn a copy from a friend and then when I was at this cd store, there they had about 5 copies of it for $10, that just amazed me:)

I just checked the currency converter at an OZ website I use frequently and the rate as of today is 1 AUD = .76 USD. I listen to a lot of Australian bands (many which are not signed to US labels) and find it often both less expensive and faster to order CDs from Australia. Even with shipping costs (and at some shops the shipping cost is unbelievably low) the cost can be just over half of what getting the same item here (the US) as an import. And I have had items arrive in my mailbox as soon as 4 days after ordering them!

Import CD is almost any country are very high priced. If you can't find a particular CD and you really want it, I would suggest that you look into buying the CD in the country of origin and having it shipped (do look carefully at the shipping costs though, they can be high). It doesn't alway work out this way, but it's worth checking out. Overall Australian CD prices do tend to be higher than US CD prices for albums released on domestic labels, but face it Aussies you have some seriously cool bands!!

I did the same thing but at my local Safeway. Every so often they bring in a bargain bin of cds. There is usually lots of crap but some of the bargains I found:
Nirvana - In Utero - $8.98
Beastie Boys - Licensed To Ill - $8.98
Beck - Mellow Gold - $8.98
The Tragically Hip - Music @ Work - $6.98
Everytime I go by this bin I see Men at Work - Greatest Hits - staring at me for $5.98. I can only be strong for so long.

All prices in Canadian dollars.

OzAurora said:
thanks for the reassurance about the Aphex Twin cd, I will buy two copies of it tomorrow- think of it as a birthday pressie Ange, or if you have a credit card or know someone in the know, you could make me a premium member here.....anyway send me an e-mail, so I can get your address ok, $7 bucks for a cd is just way too cheap:wink:

vness60@hotmail.com

Oz!!!!!!!!!
:bow:
They have 2 copies???!!! You have made my day :D
I'll get you an email sent asap and we will work something out. This is so kind of you!
:love:

It sounds like this cd shop you found is some kind of outlet for discontinued and hard to get items. Like those shifty people at the markets who sell toiletries for half the retail price lol.
It is so good to find good music shops these days. I used to scrounge around in Theft Converters (cash converters :lol: ) a lot when they had cd's never more than $10 each. A few bodgy jewel cases never bothered me :D I picked up a double disc set of Hoodoo Gurus 'Electric Soup and the B-Sides Gorilla Biscuit' for $7 once.

Just to add too, that :angry: face I posted originally wasn't at you iwb. I reread that just now and it looked like it was at you. I posted too hastily in my excitement lol.

OzAurora said:

:wink: yes we do:wink:

so who have you be purchasing of late??????

-- The Church (by far my favorite band, bar none. In fact I will be seeing five of their shows in five nights starting later today!!! Woohoo!!)

-- Any and all solo and collaborative work by Steve Kilbey (and any writings and paintings of his as well)

-- Gersey

-- Art of Fighting

-- Halogen

-- David Lane

-- Isidore

-- SOMA

-- and various work by the other wonderful Kilbey brothers, Russell and John, including cds by The Crystal Set and The Bhagavad Guitars (both bands now defunct)

Back
Top Bottom