Kid Fined for Putting Teacher on YouTube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsMofoGone

Blue Crack Addict
Kid Fined for Putting Teacher on YouTube
By Associated Press
3 hours ago

HELSINKI, Finland - A court on Friday fined a 15-year-old schoolboy for posting a video on YouTube of his teacher singing karaoke without her permission and claiming she was a lunatic.

In the first case of its kind in Finland, Nurmes District Court found Toni Vesikko guilty of intentional defamation and fined him $120. He also was ordered to pay $1,000 in damages for "causing harm and suffering," and $3,000 in court costs.

Vesikko, who took the video of his teacher singing karaoke at a school party on April 30, admitted posting the video on YouTube a day later. He said he did it as a prank and had not intended to insult the teacher.

But the court said Vesikko's actions "falsified facts" _ about the institution and the teacher's mental state _ and caused her to suffer anxiety, depression and insomnia. The video was watched more than 600 times before Vesikko took it off YouTube on May 7 on the orders of the principal of the school, near Lieksa, 330 miles northeast of the capital, Helsinki.

The video, which Vesikko called in English "Karaoke of the mental hospital," named the teacher and said she was "a lunatic singing at the karaoke of the mental hospital."

The Nurmes court found that the video had become "very well known and public" after its release, both in school and regionally, and could be accessed internationally. It said that publishing it caused added anguish to the teacher, who had already been teased by pupils for about two years, according to her own account.

zone, I get it:wink:

I get it big time when someone posts, a video, picture without someone's permission.. One of the reasons why I wont my pic on this board is because of people out there on the internet, even though I dont need to ask myself...

It just sounds stupid that they would put it under causing harm and suffering...sounds like she turned into a depressed state as soon as she found out...

tpsreports2424 said:
zone, I get it:wink:

I get it big time when someone posts, a video, picture without someone's permission.. One of the reasons why I wont my pic on this board is because of people out there on the internet, even though I dont need to ask myself...

It just sounds stupid that they would put it under causing harm and suffering...sounds like she turned into a depressed state as soon as she found out...

"and caused her to suffer anxiety, depression and insomnia."

It said that publishing it caused added anguish to the teacher, who had already been teased by pupils for about two years, according to her own account.

What do you think can two years of constant mobbing do to people?
There have been so many cases of suicide due to this, and whole classes of students can put you in a hell of a situation.

Vincent Vega said:

"and caused her to suffer anxiety, depression and insomnia."

It said that publishing it caused added anguish to the teacher, who had already been teased by pupils for about two years, according to her own account.

What do you think can two years of constant mobbing do to people?
There have been so many cases of suicide due to this, and whole classes of students can put you in a hell of a situation.

But we are talking about this video, this video hasnt been on youtube for 2 years! she might have been teased but not for the video! the video has nothing to do with the teasing of the 2 years, Im not backing up this kid, but I just dont get this of why the 2 years have to do with this video..

The video itself had caused her "anxiety, depression and insomnia". It has undermined her authority, and added to the bullying she was already under. The video has compromised her in public, and a large one at that. That added to the fine.

The two years gives a hint to what was going on here, and why she was reacting so strongly to it, and the kid was very likely involved in that before.
In the end he had the bad luck to publish that video.

we're going to be enterting a very strange time thanks to myspace and flickr and youtube and similar webpages...

i know of students who've been suspended for content found on their myspace pages. but the real fun is gonna happen when all the people in college the past few years, with the abundance of digital cameras and camera phones, start getting teaching jobs... only to be fired or suspended after a few years because of photos and/or videos "surfacing."

it's amazing that we now live in an age where someone that you were mild acquantinces at best with can cause you to lose your job over a picture posted on a random webpage.

Originally posted by tpsreports2424

True. :up:

Although, I sometimes wonder should we feel it's necessary to get consent/ permission from the band U2, or anyone else
whose pic ends up ... say, on Interference ?? :ohmy:

You know, there's several different photos used on one's own avatar/signature. :hmm:

I'm sure, we all asked these people if they mind if we borrow their pic and post it. :rolleyes:

I guess, we're all obviously 'in denial' of doing that. :wink:

But it's different when it's U2, because they're public figures! Of course it's okay! :grin:

Heh. Technically, it's probably illegal, since we don't have their permission.

Somehow, I don't think they care, really.

Originally posted by Hinder
But it's different when it's U2, because they're public figures!
Of course it's okay! :grin:

Heh. Technically, it's probably illegal, since we don't have their permission.

Somehow, I don't think they care, really.

I would tend to agree with you when it boils down to U2. :up:

They probably wouldn't think of it as a 'big deal' !! :tsk: (Afterall, this site is for them.) :bow:

But, what about anyone else ... say, another celebrity ?? :ohmy:

MsMofoGone said:

True. :up:

Although, I sometimes wonder should we feel it's necessary to get consent/ permission from the band U2, or anyone else
whose pic ends up ... say, on Interference ?? :ohmy:

You know, there's several different photos used on one's own avatar/signature. :hmm:

I'm sure, we all asked these people if they mind if we borrow their pic and post it. :rolleyes:

I guess, we're all obviously 'in denial' of doing that. :wink:

But when it comes down to if they all sued all of us, that eventually they will lose, because they choose to put themselves out there, so the whole world knows who they are, they are icons, and they want to put themselves out like that...

That being said, if someone posted pictures of one of their kids, then U2 would win the lawsuit because they don't put their children out there. Their kids aren't performing, their kids aren't on tv and in magazines. But Bono, Larry, Edge and Adam are.

MsMofoGone said:

But, what about anyone else ... say, another celebrity ?? :ohmy:

How I understand it is taking a photo of a celebrity in a public place and posting it online or otherwise publishing it is generally fine and no model release (ie, getting permission from that person) is required.

So that really isn't a concern. What most of us are violating however, are copyright laws. For instance, when we find a picture we like online and save it to our photobucket account and then post it in a thread here without the express consent of the copyright holder that is generally a violation of the photographer's copyright. However, most people don't have a big problem with it unless you are selling the images or otherwise making a profit from them.

Sounds like she just can't handle (Junior) High School students. Kids are like that everywhere. If you can't take the heat, you get out of the sun, you don't start sueing people.

Originally posted by indra
What most of us are violating however, are copyright laws. However, most people don't have a big problem with it unless you are selling the images or otherwise making a profit from them.

Well, that's good to know ... but, there's always a first time for some people. :hmm:
Actually they're seeing those ($$) dollar signs ... and the next thing you know ... trouble strikes. :ohmy:

MsMofoGone said:

Well, that's good to know ... but, there's always a first time for some people. :hmm:
Actually they're seeing those ($$) dollar signs ... and the next thing you know ... trouble strikes. :ohmy:

Don't worry -- it's really hard to collect damages even if someone does win a case. :wink: Often the only thing that will happen is you'll get a letter telling you to remove the image.

Originally posted by indra
Don't worry -- it's really hard to collect damages even if someone does win a case. :wink: Often the only thing that will happen is you'll get a letter telling you to remove the image.

:ohmy: You don't know how the 'sigh of relief' has set-in for alot of people out there. :sigh: :up:

So then ... what's the difference with a video on YouTube ?? :scratch:
The kid mentioned how it was a prank without intending to insult the teacher, and she still went totally balistic and sued.

:hmm: I just don't get it ... what was the real problem ?? :shrug:

Lancemc said:
Sounds like she just can't handle (Junior) High School students. Kids are like that everywhere. If you can't take the heat, you get out of the sun, you don't start sueing people.

Totally agree but I still dont think it was the right thing to do :up:

Thats why in the first place I thought it was fricken crazy that there was a fine of $3,000

Back
Top Bottom