Kid A unappreciation.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm pissed off they didn't call it Kid C. You know after all the average folks out there.

:mad:

It's not the most overrated in music history but I think it's way overrated by Radiohead fans. I like it but it's not like there aren't artists out there creating electronic ambience that far surpasses this album. It wasn't anything new as many people would lead you to believe. Still I like it though.

indra said:
I'm pissed off they didn't call it Kid C. You know after all the average folks out there.

:mad:

Excellent start to the discussion. And a great perspective.

Using that thinking, I'd have called it Kid R. In honor of it's musically superior master: Kid Rock.

Anything recorded by Kid Rock, that's right, Kid Rock, is better than Kid A.

Hallucination said:
It's not the most overrated in music history but I think it's way overrated by Radiohead fans. I like it but it's not like there aren't artists out there creating electronic ambience that far surpasses this album. It wasn't anything new as many people would lead you to believe. Still I like it though.

I'd have to agree with you on this, I love the album, but yes it is overrated.

i still like how the title track begins with him saying my name -

craig smith....

in that robot voice.
i love robot voices.

and it's miles better than the follow-up 'amnesiac'. imagine making a career altering shift on an album, only to follow that album with another album of the exact same shit - only the songs that weren't good enough for the first one.

so i guess my 2 defenses of kid A are as follows:
1) robot voice saying my name:ohmy:
2) amnesiac is worse:wink:

...the rats and children follow me outta town....................

.... the rats and children follow me outta their homes.........................

c'mon kids

*bass*

*sweet death*

dudeman said:

so i guess my 2 defenses of kid A are as follows:
1) robot voice saying my name:ohmy:
2) amnesiac is worse:wink:

That's a viable defense.

But for anyone not named Craig Smith, it leaves option #2 out there all alone.

And when Amnesiac is the reason Kid A is great, well, let's not go there. :wink:

strooooooooooobe liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiights

...and blooooooooooooooown speeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeakers

fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiireworrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrks

and hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrricaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanes...

im not here

this isn't happening! :madspit:

xaviMF22 said:
Honestly thought, what is it that makes you dislike "Kid A"? (directed at
MrBrau1)

knowing mr. brau1 very well - allow me to field this question...

radiohead spent several years literally redfining the pop song, pushing it in the most fantastic and artful ways. johnny greenwood defined himself alongside bernard butler, nick mccabe as one of the mosti original, inventive, recognizable, inimitable, and daring guitar players of the era (probably of all time). seriously, some epic shit went down on those first 3 records.
then an album, and no guitars. no rock. the moodiness that had made their pop songs so intriguing, so original completely overwhelmed the songs. no bite. no bark. just fog. end not entirely convincing.
listen to the guitar solos in 'paranoid android'. that's why mr. brau1 hates kid A s much.:wink:
ps: mr brau1 is a guitar player...

he likes his johnny cash loud, his beer cold, and his radiohead with guitars. he's gladly willing to accept more fartsy for less artsy. so, you see, he is incapable of liking kid A. god bless the fucking lot of us...

xaviMF22 said:
Honestly thought, what is it that makes you dislike "Kid A"? (directed at
MrBrau1)

Very simple. The music is terrible. It's self-serving, empty, pretentious. It lacks anything which is actually "musical."

and

Some fans of the record who think they have some deep knowledge or understanding of all things "musical" because they like it.

Stoner music, is stoner music.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Sometimes music is experimental and edgy

sometimes it's just noise and crap

for the most part, this album is noise and crap for me

dudeman said:

knowing mr. brau1 very well - allow me to field this question...

radiohead spent several years literally redfining the pop song, pushing it in the most fantastic and artful ways. johnny greenwood defined himself alongside bernard butler, nick mccabe as one of the mosti original, inventive, recognizable, inimitable, and daring guitar players of the era (probably of all time). seriously, some epic shit went down on those first 3 records.
then an album, and no guitars. no rock. the moodiness that had made their pop songs so intriguing, so original completely overwhelmed the songs. no bite. no bark. just fog. end not entirely convincing.
listen to the guitar solos in 'paranoid android'. that's why mr. brau1 hates kid A s much.:wink:
ps: mr brau1 is a guitar player...

he likes his johnny cash loud, his beer cold, and his radiohead with guitars. he's gladly willing to accept more fartsy for less artsy. so, you see, he is incapable of liking kid A. god bless the fucking lot of us...

Exactly.

Kid A is the equivlant of Nick McCabe cutting his fingers off, right before he recorded "A New Decade."

i was listening to some old radiohead shows last week (1995, 1997) and was completely blown away. i thought 'i fucking love this shit'. thom wailing on and on in the most beautiful way, that rhythm section really kicking some ass. ed adding the coolest, weirdest shit, and johnny all over the map. i mean all over the map! and i thought, 'you know, at their core, these are just really simple, good pop songs - and these guys twist them and bend them and make the most beautiful, artful noise - it's really captivating and exhilarating and satisfying'.

then i figured- 'what the fuck, i'll give that new shit a whirl....again.'
and i actually don't mind kid A all that much. but the past 3 albums have droned on and on in the most monotonous, boring way. nothing really zaps me. and to think they have one of the worlds great guitar players, all under wraps.
listen, i appreciate passengers - but if u2 put that shit out for 3 albums, literally sitting on the talent of some of the best players in rock music, we'd all start shitting out of our mouths. that is what radiohead is doing.
i tried, i really tried. but they are boring me to tears. drool over the national anthem all you want - 'the bends' or 'planet telex' or 'prove yourself' or 'let down' or 'airbag' or 'subterranean homesick alien' or 'killer cars' or 'bones' or 'just' or 'blow out' or.....they all murder that song.

dudeman said:
i was listening to some old radiohead shows last week (1995, 1997) and was completely blown away. i thought 'i fucking love this shit'. thom wailing on and on in the most beautiful way, that rhythm section really kicking some ass. ed adding the coolest, weirdest shit, and johnny all over the map. i mean all over the map! and i thought, 'you know, at their core, these are just really simple, good pop songs - and these guys twist them and bend them and make the most beautiful, artful noise - it's really captivating and exhilarating and satisfying'.

and i actually don't mind kid A all that much. but the past 3 albums have droned on and on in the most monotonous, boring way. nothing really zaps me. and to think they have one of the worlds great guitar players, all under wraps.
listen, i appreciate passengers - but if u2 put that shit out for 3 albums, literally sitting on the talent of some of the best players in rock music, we'd all start shitting out of our mouths. that is what radiohead is doing.
i tried, i really tried. but they are boring me to tears. drool over the national anthem all you want - 'the bends' or 'planet telex' or 'prove yourself' or 'let down' or 'airbag' or 'subterranean homesick alien' or 'killer cars' or 'bones' or 'just' or 'blow out' or.....they all murder that song.

I respect your opinion:up: I think that they songs like "there there" 2+2=5" "pyramid song" "like spinning plates" "where I end you begin" are just as good, if not better than the ones you mentioned

dudeman said:

Ya know what would be great? A Motown inspired Radiohead record?

That would be unexpected? no?

Horns, pianos, strings, 15 vocal tracks, bouncing beats, Donald "Duck" Dunn basslines, Thom singing like Smokey Robinson. Joy in the music.

Wouldn't that be the most "unexpected" thing Radiohead could do?

Or will we get another POS, "experimental", fart rock record?

LemonMacPhisto said:
Sometimes music is experimental and edgy

sometimes it's just noise and crap

for the most part, this album is noise and crap for me

Little known fact # 237873-B

Chuck Norris produced Kid A :shh:

xaviMF22 said:

I respect your opinion:up: I think that they songs like "there there" 2+2=5" "pyramid song" "like spinning plates" "where I end you begin" are just as good, if not better than the ones you mentioned

fair enough, i like 'there there', '2+2=5', 'go to sleep' and a few others quite a lot. i even like the song 'kid a'. a lot lot. but i don't put it on near as often as 'paranoid android'.

and none of those songs are better than that or 'let down'.

i ask again - where is the guitar? where is johnnny greenwood's genius? fuck the theremin. show me guitar.
i think radiohead went about as far as they could with nigel godrich at the helm. i'm curious beyond description to hear what their collaboration with 'spike' stent yeilds.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom